SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
How about a 3 position master trim switch, so you could set your trims for 3 different conditions such as no throttle (landing), mid throttle and full throttle. It seems to me setting the trims is always a compromise especially with motor RPM's.
It's already in there. On your Trim Setup screen, change them from Common to Flight Mode.

Quote:
PS You could also have flaps added in the no throttle (landing) position.
"Landing" is a Flight Mode. In the Flap System screen, set the switch to Flight Mode and you'll be good to go. You may find you can land better with a little power on. Throttle controls rate of descent, elevator controls angle of attack.

On my Shrike, I use a Flaperon wing type. I set the flap system to the Gear switch because when the gear are down, I need to put in a lot of up elevator due to the radical change in the drag. I also have it set to add a little bit of flap. PLUS, I can have it set so that the flaps come down (and elevator goes in) at the same speed that the E-Flite retracts come down. All on just the Gear switch.

Basically what happens is that on takeoff, the plane is configured for good lift. As I'm heading off the runway and hit the gear switch, the gear comes up, the flaps come up, and the up-trim on the elevator goes away all at the same speed. When I get ready to land, I drop the gear and as it comes down so will the flaps, while the elevator pulls up to the new trim position. Then, once down, pushing down elevator puts the ailerons both up, providing lots of drag for braking (the ele-spoiler mix is offset from neutral a little so that I can still give a little down w/o killing lift).

And it only takes 2 P-mixes.

If I had dual rudders, I could also have them provide drag braking on another P-mix using the same technique.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's already in there. On your Trim Setup screen, change them from Common to Flight Mode.

"Landing" is a Flight Mode. In the Flap System screen, set the switch to Flight Mode and you'll be good to go. You may find you can land better with a little power on. Throttle controls rate of descent, elevator controls angle of attack.

On my Shrike, I use a Flaperon wing type. I set the flap system to the Gear switch because when the gear are down, I need to put in a lot of up elevator due to the radical change in the drag. I also have it set to add a little bit of flap. PLUS, I can have it set so that the flaps come down (and elevator goes in) at the same speed that the E-Flite retracts come down. All on just the Gear switch.

Basically what happens is that on takeoff, the plane is configured for good lift. As I'm heading off the runway and hit the gear switch, the gear comes up, the flaps come up, and the up-trim on the elevator goes away all at the same speed. When I get ready to land, I drop the gear and as it comes down so will the flaps, while the elevator pulls up to the new trim position. Then, once down, pushing down elevator puts the ailerons both up, providing lots of drag for braking (the ele-spoiler mix is offset from neutral a little so that I can still give a little down w/o killing lift).

And it only takes 2 P-mixes.

If I had dual rudders, I could also have them provide drag braking on another P-mix using the same technique.

Andy

Hi Andy
I have a DX6i, I can already do this exactly as I imagined it? I am a little confused on how to do it.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Will this radio provide all the programming "necessary" for a full-house glider? I am thinking of purchasing this radio, but want to be sure that it can handle the most demanding of sail plane needs. Though I only fly the Radian now (haha), I intend to get my first full house glider shortly after purchasing my next TX (this one??). I want it to be able to last for years...

Thanks in advance,
That depends on what you consider "necessary" to be on your sailplane. The DX8 is not intended for sailplane pilots, but it can provide a significant amount of support. The DX8 can provide any 5 of the 7 standard glider functions using 6 P-mixes and pre-programmed mixes.

You probably want to wait for the the DX10t instead. It has sailplane programming in addition to power planes and helicopters.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Hi Andy
I have a DX6i, I can already do this exactly as I imagined it? I am a little confused on how to do it.
VP
I don't think the 6i has Flight Mode trims. I was answering this question based on the DX8.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I just scrolled through the menu, and I dont see "trim setup" I see "subtrims".
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
I don't think the 6i has Flight Mode trims. I was answering this question based on the DX8.

Andy
Oh. well that will be a cool feature, how does it work exactly?, lets say I want 3 different aileron trims, 5 clicks right, 2 clicks right, and no trim.
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
OK, I checked my son's DX6i. It doesn't provide Flight Mode trims. The DX8 does. Since this is a DX8 thread, I wasn't answering how to do it with a DX6i - I was providing the DX8 way.

I understand where you're going. I used to have a T-34 (I loved it!) and you're right, at full throttle it would pull left. Adding one washer of right trim solved that, though.

Doing what you want takes only a few seconds to program using the DX8.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:45 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Oh. well that will be a cool feature, how does it work exactly?, lets say I want 3 different aileron trims, 5 clicks right, 2 clicks right, and no trim.
VP
That's EXACTLY how it works. Go to the Trim Setup screen. Change the "Trim Type" from "Common" to "Flight Mode." (See the DX8 manual page 17)

Now when you flip the Flight Mode switch, you select a different trim setting. Adjust the trims in each Flight Mode and you're set.

That's all it takes.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; Aug 29, 2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Add manual page number.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
OK, I checked my son's DX6i. It doesn't provide Flight Mode trims. The DX8 does. Since this is a DX8 thread, I wasn't answering how to do it with a DX6i - I was providing the DX8 way.

I understand where you're going. I used to have a T-34 (I loved it!) and you're right, at full throttle it would pull left. Adding one washer of right trim solved that, though.

Doing what you want takes only a few seconds to program using the DX8.

Andy
That is great, If I add a washer though will the roll still be a function of RPM? I have no Aileron trim on landing, so if I add a washer won't it now need some opposite trim to keep it level?
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:50 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,803 Posts
I was gonna buy a DX7 second hand, but after hearing of all these cool features that are being explained, i may have to hold off a bit longer and get a DX8
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I was gonna buy a DX7 second hand, but after hearing of all these cool features that are being explained, i may have to hold off a bit longer and get a DX8
Cant you already get your hands on one over there across the pond?
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:01 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,803 Posts
Not that i know of? I need to save more anyway!

Or i could go overdrawn this month......... Did somebody say free temporary loan?
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
This is what I see on page 17. "Flight-Mode Trim - When F-Mode is selected, each flight mode including hold has its own trims that are automatically active when that flight mode is selected." How many and what are the different flight modes.
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Not that i know of? I need to save more anyway!

Or i could go overdrawn this month......... Did somebody say free temporary loan?
Dont you work for them?
VP
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
That is great, If I add a washer though will the roll still be a function of RPM? I have no Aileron trim on landing, so if I add a washer won't it now need some opposite trim to keep it level?
VP
This is just part of tuning your airplane. You can change it either mechanically or electronically. Use what suits your tastes. It's not uncommon for a plane (full scale or model) to change trim at different power settings - in fact it's expected. Some changes can be minimized by mechanically changing the thrust line, incidence, or some other characteristic, some can't. Tuning an airplane is an art, and I'm still finger painting.

If you want to use flight mode-based trims, that's fine. Do what suits you best.

Quote:
Cant you already get your hands on one over there across the pond?
They'll be released at the same time everywhere.

Andy
Site Sponsor