HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Neither landing ended in damage? I would call that PERFECT landings!

You definitely lucked out there on the #5 landing...Glad that nose didn't pitch up on you when it was still a foot or more off the ground. Those don't end happily (guess how I know, lol)...

Good flying!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
MISSION #13

Lucky #13 is in the books! I had a friend and his family out to watch. Hand toss was good, flight was great and the landing was cake. Wow. I never thought I would see the day that these elements would all be in perfect synchronicity on a regular basis. The sound of the twins screaming at WOT echoing in the woods sounds SO cool!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:34 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
My buddy filmed Mission #16 yesterday. A few stills as well...

SR-71 Blackbird (#9, Mission #16) (2 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:49 AM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
My buddy filmed Mission #16 yesterday. A few stills as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi-kQfCaoGo
#16!!! Congrats Aros! I just had a successful #7, and I was pretty stoked. Honestly, the only thing that has slowed down my progress are the silly servo-less retracts that I put on. At first, I was struggling with the nose gear... now it's the right main... and I've been out flying everyday for the past week, but haven't gotten the Habu out of the truck since last Friday.

Too much going on... too many projects.. but I'll catch up soon@

-Sully
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,230 Posts
Looking good! Is 16 flights on this one airframe more than all other previous airframes combined?

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:44 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Thanks guys!

Don, it's probably closer than I would care to admit, LOL!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
My latest blog entry...

MISSION #18

Had the school all to myself today. A cloudy affair. Hand toss was bliss. She broke from my hand without a hint of drop...Straight forward, no bank...It wasn't until I applied up elevon that she halted course.

Kept WOT for the entire flight. I don't like to push my batteries (see: Lifeline) so I flew for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Dead stick for the glide slope, kept a touch of down all the way to the earth...Perfect.

18 just so happens to be my favorite number.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
My latest blog entry...

MISSION #18

18 just so happens to be my favorite number.
Yeah... Wait until your next flight... I've got a hunch that your favorite number is gonna keep changing!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Maybe you're right! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
You guys have some catching up! Almost to 75!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
75! Man, I've got to step up my game!! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
#20 was filmed yesterday...

SR-71 Blackbird (Mission #20) (2 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,494 Posts
Aros, that is awesome. You have to give me the Cliff's notes to what you think is working for you when you get a chance, 'kay bud?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
Aros, that is awesome. You have to give me the Cliff's notes to what you think is working for you when you get a chance, 'kay bud?
Thanks buddy...No problem:

1) WEIGHT

In the past, I had my girls waaaay overweight. Needed to put them on diets and I didn't even know it. The recommended AUW is somewhere around 37 ounces and my #8 weighed in approximately 54 ounces! The afterburnerz are SWEET but on this particular airframe they were too heavy mixed with the oversized battery I was using at the time. MY lucky #9 is much closer to the recommended AUW.

2) GET A GRIP PAL!

This will only matter if you plan to hand toss/belly land but if you do, it is essential you establish an excellent grip. Since the bottom of the fuse is a deserted flat land, you need to create a system that allows you to get a firm grip. I chose not to add any weight by adding a brace or something to grip so I simply carved out holes that I could place my thumb, middle finger and index finger in (sort of like a bowling ball). Now I can grip her with authority which has almost guaranteed a successful hand toss all by itself.

3) OH LORD LET THY GRAVITY BE CENTERED!

Some planes or jets have a fairly liberal adjustment curve aft and fore of the recommended CG whereas I discovered if you make sure this bird is dead nuts 78MM (all other issues being correct as well), it is the perfect sweet spot. Anything outside of that and you're going to find how sensitive it is to being too tail or nose heavy.

4) THROWS

Pretty straight forward here. Make sure your pitch authority is maximized while making sure your roll authority is limited. Actual throw numbers may vary but that is the fundamental paradigm at play.

Well, that to me is the four fundamental aspects of success with this bird. Thanks to many in this build thread to pound those secrets of success into my head, no matter how long it took.

There really could be a fifth addition and that would be style of flight but that seems obvious. She's a missile that wants nothing but speed with that nose carving the winds straight ahead. Gradual pitch change is fine but any sudden movements in pitch or roll or slow speeds as in what you would do in sport, aerobatic or 3D flight and you will likely be needing a plastic bag to pick up the pieces.

As you can see with my latest video, I get her on the race track and pattern fly her from start to finish. This keeps both pilot and plane happy.

Hope this helps!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Thanks buddy...No problem:

1) WEIGHT

In the past, I had my girls waaaay overweight. Needed to put them on diets and I didn't even know it. The recommended AUW is somewhere around 37 ounces and my #8 weighed in approximately 54 ounces! The afterburnerz are SWEET but on this particular airframe they were too heavy mixed with the oversized battery I was using at the time. MY lucky #9 is much closer to the recommended AUW.

2) GET A GRIP PAL!

This will only matter if you plan to hand toss/belly land but if you do, it is essential you establish an excellent grip. Since the bottom of the fuse is a deserted flat land, you need to create a system that allows you to get a firm grip. I chose not to add any weight by adding a brace or something to grip so I simply carved out holes that I could place my thumb, middle finger and index finger in (sort of like a bowling ball). Now I can grip her with authority which has almost guaranteed a successful hand toss all by itself.

3) OH LORD LET THY GRAVITY BE CENTERED!

Some planes or jets have a fairly liberal adjustment curve aft and fore of the recommended CG whereas I discovered if you make sure this bird is dead nuts 78MM (all other issues being correct as well), it is the perfect sweet spot. Anything outside of that and you're going to find how sensitive it is to being too tail or nose heavy.

4) THROWS

Pretty straight forward here. Make sure your pitch authority is maximized while making sure your roll authority is limited. Actual throw numbers may vary but that is the fundamental paradigm at play.

Well, that to me is the four fundamental aspects of success with this bird. Thanks to many in this build thread to pound those secrets of success into my head, no matter how long it took.

There really could be a fifth addition and that would be style of flight but that seems obvious. She's a missile that wants nothing but speed with that nose carving the winds straight ahead. Gradual pitch change is fine but any sudden movements in pitch or roll or slow speeds as in what you would do in sport, aerobatic or 3D flight and you will likely be needing a plastic bag to pick up the pieces.

As you can see with my latest video, I get her on the race track and pattern fly her from start to finish. This keeps both pilot and plane happy.

Hope this helps!
And, if I could pile on... keep a bit of speed on the approach (by keeping the nose down, or flying a shallow power-on approach) and try to land with a very shallow angle of attack. Should you choose to try and fully flare out the landing for a buttery-soft touchdown, be forewarned that this Habu can coil straight up and bite you before you even get a chance to try and correct your mistake if you push her too far -- and any correction that you make in response, probably won't work...