HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:37 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,038 Posts
Question
Waterproof retracts?

So, I went out flying yesterday and upon landing, mud got splashed up onto the underside of my planes. My retracts weren't working right afterwards. I cleaned it off as best I could, and even sprayed a lot of WD40 and compressed air into the housing, but it's still not working 100% right.

My question is; can I use a spray jet of water to try and clean out/dislodge any debris that might be inside the retract's housing? Alternatively, I have a sonic cleaner I would LOVE to just drop these into and let that clean it, but I'm afraid I'll kill the retracts if they aren't water proof.

In case it matter, here's the two retract types/brands I need to clean:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2pc_29_0g.html

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=EFLG100
Suko is online now Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:15 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,733 Posts
I would say those are most likely not water proof and spraying WD-40 was probably not a good idea. Electrics and water generally dont mix. Not sure what you mean by not working, so I can only assume something may have been bent during the landing.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:31 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,651 Posts
I'm not sure just how the electric retract works, (I only use the mechanical ones), I would assume there is some sort of travel limit switch, or switches inside to detect the end positions. Again a bit of a guess, but they are just a screw drive ?

I also believe that they automatically shut down if stalled, (wheel jam etc), so any dirt in the rotation area may load the action enough for them to shut down.

If they haven't got good shielding from dirt and water, they probably need a complete strip down to be properly cleaned, spaying anything in there could just push any dirt into the wrong place.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 27, 2014, 03:09 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,371 Posts
Best bet is to remove them and use electrical contact cleaner/MAF cleaner. Might even rinse in fresh water and then into a warm oven that is not still turned on to dry.

What ever you do don't power them until complety dry.

If mechanicals are not a option then obviously do not fly when water or mud is present from here on out.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback