HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:52 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,091 Posts
Where is the best place to make suggestions for C9X?
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
Where is the best place to make suggestions for C9X?
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/iss...1&state=closed

You must register to make a New Issue.
OldDmbThms is online now Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:40 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Help with mixing

I'm struggling to make a mixing for my gimbal, a Tarot T2D. The idea is quite simple:

Gimbal tilt is controlled by S1 pot if SB key is in neutral position (-)

If SB key is UP, put the camera pointing UP

and

If SB key is DOWN, put the camera pointing DOWN

I've basically started with the following mixing:

Curve 1 is a line going from (-100,-100) to (100,100)

SB(-) and S1 are setup correctly, the problem is SB(up) and SB(down). Instead of replacing the position where S1 left the gimbal, it seems the values are being combined (*added*), however, I've set up the Multiplex to REPLACE for all mixing but SB(-) which is set to ADD a 0 weight to S1 values.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming S1 pot sends values from -100% to 100% to the gimbal and that I could make SB(up) and SB(down) point up and down by associating the key positions to +100% and -100% respectively
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
I'm struggling to make a mixing for my gimbal, a Tarot T2D. The idea is quite simple:

Gimbal tilt is controlled by S1 pot if SB key is in neutral position (-)

If SB key is UP, put the camera pointing UP

and

If SB key is DOWN, put the camera pointing DOWN

I've basically started with the following mixing:

Curve 1 is a line going from (-100,-100) to (100,100)

SB(-) and S1 are setup correctly, the problem is SB(up) and SB(down). Instead of replacing the position where S1 left the gimbal, it seems the values are being combined (*added*), however, I've set up the Multiplex to REPLACE for all mixing but SB(-) which is set to ADD a 0 weight to S1 values.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming S1 pot sends values from -100% to 100% to the gimbal and that I could make SB(up) and SB(down) point up and down by associating the key positions to +100% and -100% respectively
Try the following:
You shouldn't need a curve.
You need 2 simple lines :-
CH07 , SOURCE SB WEIGHT 100. MULTIPLEX ADD
SOURCE S1, WEIGHT 100, SWITCH SB-, MULTIPLEX ADD.
The first line will give you up, middle and down. The second line will allow S1 to tilt up and down.
CH 05 you could do with a curve.
see attached images.

Tom
Tomkfly is offline Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Last edited by Tomkfly; Mar 14, 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:15 AM
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Tom, thanks a "ton" for your help as I'm getting lost here...

I'll take advantage of your suggestion to clarify something.

If you leave the Multiplex as ADD, I understand that one key (SB) will ADD its value with the other (POT). Thus, if I leave my POT in +60% and change SB to the down position (-100%) it will result in a command sent to the gimbal to set its position to -40% (+60%-100%). Is my interpretation correct?

p.s.: The curve was my last (and unfortunate) try yesterday
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Tom, thanks a "ton" for your help as I'm getting lost here...

I'll take advantage of your suggestion to clarify something.

If you leave the Multiplex as ADD, I understand that one key (SB) will ADD its value with the other (POT). Thus, if I leave my POT in +60% and change SB to the down position (-100%) it will result in a command sent to the gimbal to set its position to -40% (+60%-100%). Is my interpretation correct?

p.s.: The curve was my last (and unfortunate) try yesterday
No it's got nothing to add to. S1 is only active when SB is in the middle. SB up and SB down are not selected, so have no input and vice versa, with up or down selected SB- has no input.
Shen you use a switch as source it automatically gives the three positions of the switch. You do not have to set a switch.

Tom
Last edited by Tomkfly; Mar 14, 2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly View Post
No it's got nothing to add to. S1 is only active when SB is in the middle. SB up and SB down are not selected, so have no input and vice versa, with up or down selected SB- has no input.
Shen you use a switch as source it automatically gives the three positions of the switch. You do not have to set a switch.

Tom
If you were using another switch, say SA to control S1 then the two values would indeed add together when both were active, but because you are using all thee positions off SB, you can't have two conditions active( unless you use the not modifier(!).
Did you spot my suggestion for CH05. I added it late so you could of missed it.

Tom
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
If you were using another switch, say SA to control S1 then the two values would indeed add together when both were active, but because you are using all thee positions off SB, you can't have two conditions active( unless you use the not modifier(!).
Did you spot my suggestion for CH05. I added it late so you could of missed it.

Tom
not exactly as I only have CH7 set for tilt control

My understanding of using a curve is that we could smooth the transition from one point to the other using exponentials. The problem is that, somehow, the gimbal already have its way of dealing with the RX signals. In other words, it doesn't matter the speed I turn my potentiometer that the gimbal will always respond at the same speed.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
not exactly as I only have CH7 set for tilt control

My understanding of using a curve is that we could smooth the transition from one point to the other using exponentials. The problem is that, somehow, the gimbal already have its way of dealing with the RX signals. In other words, it doesn't matter the speed I turn my potentiometer that the gimbal will always respond at the same speed.
The suggestion for CH 05 is to replace your current CH05 3 lines with one line and a curve.
A curve on a switch can be set for your end points, but not a lot of use , in your set-up, for
Exponential. You can only use exponential on analogue inputs like sticks and sliders and pots. Although if you have a slow setting on the switched inputs you can vary the speed across its travel.
With your gimbal I don't believe you need a curve, but you should add slow to both up and down, if the full travel is too fast.

Tom
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Quote:
The suggestion for CH 05 is to replace your current CH05 3 lines with one line and a curve.
A curve on a switch can be set for your end points, but not a lot of use , in your set-up, for
Exponential. You can only use exponential on analogue inputs like sticks and sliders and pots. Although if you have a slow setting on the switched inputs you can vary the speed across its travel.
With your gimbal I don't believe you need a curve, but you should add slow to both up and down, if the full travel is too fast.

Tom
Now I got it!

You were referring to the Atti/GPS/Failsafe that I've programmed in the 3-position switch. It could be done using just a line function.

I'll make these tests at night. Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Tom, I did the mixing you suggested and tried using a servo and it worked fine, however, if I apply the same mixing to the gimbal it gives me an erratic response. I'm assuming the gimbal's controller is not understanding the value supplied instantly by the switch change.

In other words, it's understanding a continuous transition from -100 to 100 using a potentiometer but not understanding a sudden and discontinuous switch. Weird, isn't it?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Tom, I did the mixing you suggested and tried using a servo and it worked fine, however, if I apply the same mixing to the gimbal it gives me an erratic response. I'm assuming the gimbal's controller is not understanding the value supplied instantly by the switch change.

In other words, it's understanding a continuous transition from -100 to 100 using a potentiometer but not understanding a sudden and discontinuous switch. Weird, isn't it?
Try putting a 2 second slow to both directions, in the mix editor. That will have the same effect as taking 2 seconds to turn a potentiometer from one end to the other.

Edit should have been 2 second slow not delay. Corrected text.
Tom
Last edited by Tomkfly; Aug 20, 2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
874 Posts
Quote:

Just solved the problem \o/

It seems the values supplied by the switch were going beyond the gimbal end points. Thus, I've created a curve and calibrated the up and down positions by setting the y values accordingly.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Just solved the problem \o/

It seems the values supplied by the switch were going beyond the gimbal end points. Thus, I've created a curve and calibrated the up and down positions by setting the y values accordingly.
The Taranis normal travel is 125% of most other radios, so that makes sense.
You could have just reduced the weight to about 87, but as long as it works

Tom
Closed Thread