HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Discussion
Is there no lightweight fabric with adhesive on it?

I really like coverlite fabric but I also *really* hate brushing on balsarite on my trittle models. Also dislike shiny covering because you can't paint on the trim like you can on fabric.

Is there any hope of a spray on adhesive (heat activated) or something like solartex but at 1 oz/yard?

thanks

bare boned in Lawrenceville
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:19 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Have you considered Doculam covering ?
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:18 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Have you considered Doculam covering ?
Never heard of it, but after a little research I found this from payne9999...
"I was covering my Cessna 172 with white parklite and found there just wasn't enough on the roll to finish. I have a 1000 foot rol of doculam that I use for scale projects and I remembered hearing you could paint it from the adhesive side and it would still attach. I wanted the shinny finish of the Ultracote in this case. For other scale projects I want the finish of dead flat paint so I paint the doculam from the outside (a whole other disscussion).

So, I painted a peice of doculam from the adhesive side. I used Krylon short cuts white paint because I have been experimenting with that as well since it adheres to doculam like glue.

Well since the "short cuts" paint goes on so opaque (it is exceptional paint and has very high solids) it went on quick and light. It bonds as if there was no paint on the adhesive and looks just like Ultracote and other films. Of course it has all the other advantages of doculam like shrinking nicely and holding tight without sagging."

I'm sure it's true, but I have a hard time figuring out how the adhesive bonds to the wood thru the paint.

sounds like a good alternative to film since you can paint it.

Have you much experience with it?

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:05 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
Krylon Fusion spray paint may be worth a shot. It sticks to Monokote and clear tape very well, and dries fast. I think if you primed the model with a flat paint first, you may be able to brush on the trim.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:42 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Thanks for the input so far.
Just to further clarify, right now we're building a 30" hornet moth for three channel electric.
I'm leaning towards using steel wool to fabricize a light film like aerolite.
But my son is leaning towards micafilm spinoffs (I forget the name) and trying to use a glue stick on the frame. (he's doing the building on this one)

biggest problem is that neither of us are able to paint a good and light paint job at the same time. If it looks good, it'll be hard to lift.

has anyone experience with using a gluestick for applying covering on a good sized aircraft like the moth?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,057 Posts
A single gluestick is heavier than the dried paint.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
A single gluestick is heavier than the dried paint.
Yup, assuming you would use a whole gluestick, but on a lite frame like the moth, I doubt it would use it all.
What i really don't get is why they sell the covering without adhesive, I mean they probably save a total of two grams (hand applied balsarite is a lot heavier than the adhesive on open areas).

The reason I'm leaning toward scuffed iron on film is because BP Hobbies has a film that comes in at 1/2 oz. a square yard. Then we could trim with Krylon Fusion for a lite but decent looking finish. maybe use a mist coat of clear flat...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:21 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,178 Posts
Own any White Glue?
If so paint it onto the frame of your model where you want/expect the covering to adhere to. Let it dry completely..overnight even.
Then apply your covering using a Covering iron to reheat and activate the dried white glue.
No more Hideous/Toxic Balsarite needed.. Ever :-0
Enjoy.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
Try AeroLITE (SoLITE). 20 grams per square meter, it's just about the lightest iron on covering available.http://www.stevensaero.com/AeroLITE-p-1-c-39.html
fleaz is online now Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:16 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Have I missed something here?

Taildragger asked about "fabric", yet all replies reference film - and not a word about fabric.

I too, would like to know about fabric alternatives to Coverite and Solartex.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:40 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,178 Posts
Get to a Fabric /sewing supply shop and search
Use the White Glue with heat as adhesive.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:05 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Own any White Glue?
If so paint it onto the frame of your model where you want/expect the covering to adhere to. Let it dry completely..overnight even.
Then apply your covering using a Covering iron to reheat and activate the dried white glue.
No more Hideous/Toxic Balsarite needed.. Ever :-0
Enjoy.
Thanks for the info! I'd heard that worked with the glue stick but didn't know it worked for white glue too. I assume that's elmer's school glue. Will the titebond glue do too? It's almost white.

re: fabric store, I used to use their rayon which was one third the price of silk, but the dope didn't stick to it as well as silk. It was stiffer too.

Fleaz: thanks for the link I have a favorites folder just for covering.

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:16 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
Have I missed something here?

Taildragger asked about "fabric", yet all replies reference film - and not a word about fabric.

I too, would like to know about fabric alternatives to Coverite and Solartex.
Sadly, it seems there's not one
Hobby Shack (remember them?) used to sell a fabric called colortex that weight just a little over an oz per sq. that shrunk tighter than solarfilm or tex and was just $3.99 a roll!
Had I known I'd have bought 10 rolls of each color.
Here's a pic of a .25 powered trainer I designed around an old powerhouse wing done in colortex:
RCG Plus Member