Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Discussion
All Terrain Hovercraft

Name: IMG_4076.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 213.4 KB
Description: All terrain hovercraft

My new scratch built hovercraft. I wanted to design a craft that could run on water, and land, including grass. My first attempt a few years ago had some torque problems and it's base was so wide and it's skirt low that it couldn't conform to a lot of terrain that you would find off road.

This base is 16x18" I believe and is fiber-glassed 2" Dow pink foam from home depot.

The drive fans are 2600kv airfield motors with I believe 70mm airfield ducts. The lift motor is an AEO duct with an exceed motor? I didn't have the correct mounting hardware and it is not performing to it's maximum so I figured better to put it on a hovercraft rather than a plane. It could use with a better lift fan for grass.

I am also going to replace the skirt material with something more water repelling. When the skirt is wet it has huge friction with the grass which is why you see me lowering and raising the skirt to try and unstick it.

The orange shroud on the back was in response to it flipping on grass and then proceeding to cut the grass and throw it in the air. If this happens to you clean your ducts asap because dried grass is tough to get off. The salt water actually helped to clean them off.

I water proofed the ESCs and transmitter with water based polyurethane lacquer. Not sure if water based is the best choice but after cutting off the heatshrink and baking them in the oven they worked. My conformal coat had dried up and it's really hard to find places that carry it when you want to go out the next day.

I am thinking about adding some kind of bow protection or enclosing the battery because atm it is the only vulnerable part and my driving is not all that great yet as I lower the lift fan while at speed too quickly and dunk the bow a couple of times.

Hovercraft water testing (3 min 35 sec)

Hovercraft land (0 min 46 sec)

Old hovercraft, less power though less loading and a lot more torque roll. Instead of dealing with props again I went with ducted fans which don't seem to have as much of a torque roll problem. I recently tried flow straighteners on this old one and they seemed to have absolutely no effect.

Hovercraft Right Turn on Water.avi (1 min 59 sec)
Kai Wren is offline Find More Posts by Kai Wren
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Made a new larger skirt from a stretchy water proof fabric thinking it would contour to the ground better. Instead it just stretched in between seams and barely stretched where the thread stitched it together. This caused air to spill out the sides.

So back to the sewing machine.

I changed the life fan so I have more power. I also plan to do some 4S or 5S testing since my fans are rated for them.
Kai Wren is offline Find More Posts by Kai Wren
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:23 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,057 Posts
Lol its cool im sure the cats and dogs love it.But it is neat!
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad