HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:28 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Discussion
Chuck glider help

Ok guys. It's been ages and our weather is in the improve.
I havnt thrown a chuck gliders for ages, so its time to get building.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good couple of chuck gliders plans. Ideally want high performance that o can Chase a thermal or 2 during my lunch break. I see your plan thread but after wading through the first 5 pages I figure that they are probably all rubber powered and scale things.

Thanks heaps

Mick
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Bruce Matthews Camp Cookout is a great one to start with, i built one and flys great. just search camp cookout on this forum, i am now building a Maxwell from Peck
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:40 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,825 Posts
I always liked Joe Hervats glider.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,074 Posts
Here's a couple sites to get you started.

1. http://legacy.amaglider.com/

2. http://www.discuskid.com/Pages/default.aspx

Not sure if you're aware of this, but the traditional overhand or side arm launch has been pretty much been replaced by tip or discus launch.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
only wish we would see more free flight glider builds on this forum, its magical to see a really good one just float around, please do let us see what you decide on and build, Some where here in this forum Bruce did a long wright up on flight trimming
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:34 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,537 Posts
Mick, what sort of chuckies have you flown in the past?

That Camp Cookout design I did is a nice one for someone wanting something basic. But if you're serious about going for thermals then you may want something more. And if you go that route I'd STRONGLY suggest you plan on installing a viscous button DT setup to control the flight duration and with that the distance covered if you are flying in a city park or similar.

Or if you're willing to go with "disposable" options and simply let them fly away then the CC or something similarly simple that you can build in quantity for cheap would be an option. But while that is an option I don't really like it as much as I used to do. I hate losing the good ones to thermals never to see them again.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:17 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Thank you so much guys.
That's exactly what I wanted.
I have only played with side arm launch and didn't realise that chuckles had progressed to discus launch.
I have played with discus launch r/c stuff but for the moment just want a few disposable chuckies and would love to see one fly away.
I will be sure to take some pics and do a write up in the future.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
i just built George Perrymans Whistler from the Hip pocket web site plans, best glider i ve built to date, but i a very interested in small tip launch style now. please do share what you will build
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:53 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
OK. This is what I got around to building.

I built 2 small chuckies about 18 inches or 45cm span. After a bit of trimming and messing around they both seem to trasition from climb to circle pretty well. The local park is only small and has been windy so only small flights so far.

They are made up designs using what looks about right. I did have a bit of a brain storm and made one fues out of 5mm balsa and put some light carbon tow that I had lying around and used Thin CA to stick it to the sides of the fues. It has made it strong without adding too much weight.

The bigger one is based on a Hooser Daddy plan I found on the amaglider website (thanks Norm)". The wing cord is a bit narrower and the balsa is not quite as thick as its all I could find a the local store.
It is the biggest "chuckie I have ever built by a long way. I have done a few small test throws and it never wants to land. I definatly a bit scared about throwing it discus style and with any big force as Im affraid of it being poorly trimmed and plowing it into the ground.

Im hoping that one of these 3 gliders might see me reach my goal to have a fly away.

Hoping that during this week I might get a good day during my lunch break and the nearest big park might have a good thermal or 2 brewing.

Ill be sure to keep everyone posted.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
looks awesome, nice job on them. i see you built them all for tip launch and i am very interested on how they preform, i am building a tip launch now sort of based off bow wevil wing and building a rc Gambler, be sure to give some flight reports as weather permits, thanks again for posting your builds cheers
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:03 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,537 Posts
Well, you can simply keep tossing them up until you luck out and get a thermal. Or you can learn to sense the air movement changes and try to toss the glider right into some rising air.

Folks tend to wait for a calm spell and think that it's a thermal. But t'aint so. The calm you feel where the ambient wind drops is often the suction back towards the thermal which is still upwind of you. Instead of the calm wait for gust that comes after the calm. That gust is the addition of the amibient wind velocity of the day and the fact that the air is being drawn up and into the thermal which just passed overhead. When you toss your glider up into the launch and it transitions the first turn should be right into that thermal.

There's other signs as well but it would mean writing a pretty tidy book. But start with this idea of launching into the gust that comes AFTER the calm and be observant about where the lift is located and where the glider gets the most climb. Doing so will aid you in further learning about the qualities of thermals.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
I had a crack at lunch today. Too windy... first launch was average (needed trimming) and circled downwind almost into the neighboring properties. I went out late tonight in cold sinking air and got the 2 little ones transitioning perfectly.

Thanks for the thermal seeking tips. I done a bit of r/c thermal flying and read "old buzzards soaring book" so I got some ideas. I think getting my model trimed and my throwing technique consistency exiting the climb in the same spot each throw is going to be the hard part.

Larry I have never thought of throwing the little ones by the tips. I used to make them like that 20 years ago before anyone tip launched anything so I just assumed at that size it would work. I want to go down the park right now in the middle of the night and give it a go. I can't wait to try now
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Swoop down, you inspired me to get my scratch builds done for air trials, this one is almost 24 inch WS, it did very well for little trimming. i was testing inside the outfield of a base ball field, couple of times it flew over the fence and then some lol, i quickly found out that i need a bigger field for any thing bigger that this one. the Y tails seem to work very well, i still have lots to learn but i am very happy with my efforts so far, i am sure you will be off to a great start as well
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,254 Posts
Looks good Larry
Well I lost one today... Not quite the way I wanted to...

Still too windy but there were little lulls in the wind (thermals for sure) so I went down the park at lunch.

I got out of the car and could feel the wind drop as I was walking out onto the park.
I figured now was as good as time as any so I joged to the middle of the park just as the wind was starting to move again. I gave a pretty good throw. Not near as much as I could have but first throw in a small park I figured it was about right.

She climbed and trasitioned perfect and started flying downwind. By this time the park was getting pretty small and I then saw it climb a few metres. It started to turn then the trees were coming up. It somehow flew between the trees and did a slow low circle over the houses. I ran after it but lost sight through the trees. Buy the time I ran out to get vision I lost it... I looked for 15 minutes and Im sure its in a tree or in a front yard hiding. It flew away but not quite the way I wanted it to.

Lesson learnt. Bigger park, calmer day, be more patient.
It has inspired me and strengthed my resolve to finally hook a thermal and see one fly away.

Maybe also to build a few smaller ones for the smaller parks...

Larry your model looks nice. Sounds like we both need bigger parks
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
sorry to here you lost one but i guess we have to expect that with free flight lol , no servos to turn them home ward, any way there is some thing addictive about this type of flying and i always plan to have a glider of some type in my truck to pull out at a moments notice , keep up your good work and be sure to post any new builds, cheers and happy holidays