HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Would be nice if they also started making oleos for these since they are so robust. I'm interested to see what size wheels they can lift. I've also got a project in the works where they would need to retract backward. Interested in the different loads it can take. I know the E-flites are not warranted if installed to retract backward... only to the side. Odd but TRUE! J Morgan had that issue.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,558 Posts
I wonder what, or if, they are planning to allow a 'good' design version that is useful for nose wheel with steering? Where the mounting plate is at the other side of the retract.
This unit could not do that, as it is all one cast/pressed aluminium side plate(s).
But all it would need is a version with the other shaped side plates.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
Would be nice if they also started making oleos for these since they are so robust. I'm interested to see what size wheels they can lift. I've also got a project in the works where they would need to retract backward. Interested in the different loads it can take. I know the E-flites are not warranted if installed to retract backward... only to the side. Odd but TRUE! J Morgan had that issue.
Yep great idea. A nice set well priced oleo struts that match right up to the retracts. We end up having to mod too much stuff. A decent quality priced right complete setup would be the ticket....
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I wonder what, or if, they are planning to allow a 'good' design version that is useful for nose wheel with steering? Where the mounting plate is at the other side of the retract.
This unit could not do that, as it is all one cast/pressed aluminium side plate(s).
But all it would need is a version with the other shaped side plates.
Yep this is another problem area. I have hundred flights on the FMS T 28 with PZ 514's, oleo struts and one of my biggest hurdle was getting a nose gear that would work when it was supposed to, be strong enough and wasn't a pain to setup the steering. I think I have a decent solution right that is holding up better partly because I disable steering after its in the up position with a mix.

They have to make something that works well on grass. Most of us fly off of grass. It can be tough on retracts and retracts are finicky as it is. I say out loud alot of times there just not worth it. But maybe they have something here ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,874 Posts
I wonder what will happen if FMS ever sells a 'perfect' plane. One where everything is just beyond improvement.

You guys would be bored out of your skull!! hahahaha. 'Nahh, not gonna buy this one, I don't like it, there's nothing wrong with it'.
It's a paradox.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:02 PM
Warbird Willie
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Jul 2012
228 Posts
LOL!!! These threads and blogs would be a lot less interesting!
jtalley10 is offline Find More Posts by jtalley10
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, NJ, Gloucester Township
Joined Jan 2012
133 Posts
Retracts

Great thread! Just in time since the front gear on my T-28 is starting to loosen up and get a little sloppy due to our field having a grass runway.
Buzzcut2239 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzcut2239
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Any idea of timeline for these to actually be available?
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,103 Posts
I have two FMS 1400mm models, A V6 P-51 and a V1 Zero. Both models suffer from the plastic (they do have thin wire in them) struts on the landing gear. The struts are constantly bending from use on our rough grass field. Bent struts don't retract, or refuse to extend. The plastic can be bent back, but it will not take long before they break. I would love to be able to purchase metal struts for my planes to go with the metal retract unit. FMS please consider metal struts for your 1400mm models.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
I have two FMS 1400mm models, A V6 P-51 and a V1 Zero. Both models suffer from the plastic (they do have thin wire in them) struts on the landing gear. The struts are constantly bending from use on our rough grass field. Bent struts don't retract, or refuse to extend. The plastic can be bent back, but it will not take long before they break. I would love to be able to purchase metal struts for my planes to go with the metal retract unit. FMS please consider metal struts for your 1400mm models.
There is metal under the plastic struts, but it is soft Chinese steel. I wish they would use harder steel in the struts, because mine bend a little every time I land, and I fly off a hard surface.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,388 Posts
Are they doing aluminum Twist and Turn retracts also? That would be great. When they do they should sweep 100 degrees for the desired forward rake. I had to replace my Hellcat twist and turns with eflites. Works great but if FMS does it we could be assured that the bolt pattern would match. I had to modify mine to fit them.
I continue to be impressed with FMS!
FMS 1400mm F6F Hellcat take offs and landings review (10 min 25 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,191 Posts
Do you have a weight compairason between the E-Flite and the new FMS units, andd how important is the 90 degree travel vs. 85 degrees that many say is needed for the p-51 ? Is there a way to just mount a wire with a spring coil into these units, or am i missing something as I am new to the retract thing.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:08 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Do you have a weight compairason between the E-Flite and the new FMS units, andd how important is the 90 degree travel vs. 85 degrees that many say is needed for the p-51 ? Is there a way to just mount a wire with a spring coil into these units, or am i missing something as I am new to the retract thing.
The FMS Alums. weigh the same as the E-Flites, 2.6 oz. This first version Alums. are 90. They will accept any 5mm strut. You can insert the coiled 5mm strut that comes with the E-Flite 60-120 E-Tracts, for instances, in them if you so choose.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,191 Posts
Thank you, and also thanks for your research and postings.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
USA, IN, Norman
Joined Nov 2007
168 Posts
How much weight are these rated for?
RCB1 is offline Find More Posts by RCB1