SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Discussion
E Power system for Control Line Airplanes

Having started with control line airplanes at eight (, I am intrigued that E power is now being used for powering the same and Im trying to capture a bit of that nostalgia !

I am trying some conversions of Guillows Kits which I wish to power with small E motors and try some tethered flying before going full on CL.

Question : How does one power a small brushless motor with an on off switch for the above application. I am told that B/less motors need to be powered through an ESC and flight timer. I have esc's and I have purchased a dual function timer from E flight. The motor Im using is 5- 10 gm micro from HK.

Can some one here explain the wiring and switchology involved............

And........ is there a dedicated site/thread here for control line flight which I believe is making a come-back ?

Thanks for your help..............
captsiva is offline Find More Posts by captsiva
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:57 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
Without knowing the detail of what ESC or timer you have, in general terms the timer replaces the RX in a conventional RC system i.e. you just plug the ESC into the timer and away you go.

Oh and we've been discussing various ways of doing Electric Control Line in the Control Line forum here for at least the last 10 years . http://www.rcgroups.com/control-line-63/

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Thank You Steve...........I am on the road now, when I get back home I will give details of motor, esc, timer model etc.for your advice/suggestions
Stuck in a hotel on a cold summer(?) Sunday in London while the Queen celebrates her diamond Jubilee with a flotilla on the' River' ...............cant think of a better place to be than RC groups.
I browsed around and did find the huge Control Line forum here and found many answers to my E- CL dreams.
Are you into CL ? Should I contnue to write here or go to the CL place for answers.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:55 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
When you get your details together start a thread in Control Line....that way you'll get a few more people answering. I play a bit with C/L but I lost interest in using timers when the really cheap 2.4GHz RC turned up....I don't mind using just one channel for throttle when the RX is only about a fiver (much less than most timers ).

Steve
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Thank You Steve.......will do that in the CL place in future. Basically the timer I have ordered is an E flite one, the ESC is a 6amp Turnigy and the motor is a tiny 5 gm brushless from HK.........Im gonna try that lot in a Guillows 400 series rubber power kit.......but it will be tethered initially, not CL. that is to play around with Rohan my grandson.
Ive been reading about using a regular RC Rx for CL with the throttle being controlled ..........by one's foot ? Ha ha just a joke...........Is that what you do.....control the throttle while flying via CL ?
I have some spare 2.4Gs so I could try that. Thanks for your time again.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsiva View Post
Thank You Steve.......will do that in the CL place in future. Basically the timer I have ordered is an E flite one, the ESC is a 6amp Turnigy and the motor is a tiny 5 gm brushless from HK.........Im gonna try that lot in a Guillows 400 series rubber power kit.......but it will be tethered initially, not CL. that is to play around with Rohan my grandson.
Ive been reading about using a regular RC Rx for CL with the throttle being controlled ..........by one's foot ? Ha ha just a joke...........Is that what you do.....control the throttle while flying via CL ?
I have some spare 2.4Gs so I could try that. Thanks for your time again.
You have two pieces of wire in a control line setup, if it is practical to insulate one of the two from the other you could put a servo tester in the control handle and have a thumb or finger throttle. Use as a web belt and strap a battery pack around your waist and you can have it all without adding any battery weight to the plane. Nor will you have any radio interference considerations.

Walk out to the center spot, pick up that control handle and plug it in to the battery pack, wind her up, and off you go!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
FWIW, a local flyer electrified one of his old CL planes. He just put a tiny rx in the fuse with the esc, and hung his TX on his side. He could run the throttle with his left hand as he flew the plane with his right. He did a simple wattmeter test to figure max amp draw, used that figure against his battery capacity, and came up with a number for his flight time, which he sets on a dollar store cooking timer. He never has to worry about killing a battery, unless he over-flies his timer.

Not too bad of an idea, Jack. It's like an "Old school" 'round-the-pole deal, with the pilot acting as the pole!
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:55 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsiva View Post
No feet involved but otherwise that sounds about right .

As for jackerbes idea of power down the lines many of us tried that 10-15 years ago but you lose so much power down the lines that it's really not worth it for anything other than the very smallest models e.g. indoor, about RTP size . These days there are easier ways to go.

Steve
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:35 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,141 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, Steve. That very thought had crossed my mind and I suspected it might make it a not good idea. It may save someone from trying something that is just not going to work.

When I think of all of the capacitance issues I have read about here for when people want to extend battery leads, that might have the plane flying with more weight in quite expensive capacitors than it would have had if you just put the battery in the plane and used a radio...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
189 Posts
I saw this thread a bit late but the best site for E controline is http://stunthanger.com You have to register to see all the boards but it has a lot of info.

There are two ways to do CL, the timer method , which it appears you have found, and using a controller to send signals up the lines, which requires insullated lines. The later method allowsfor control of the motor and other functions as desired.
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:33 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyelectcl View Post
There are two ways to do CL, the timer method , which it appears you have found, and using a controller to send signals up the lines, which requires insullated lines. The later method allowsfor control of the motor and other functions as desired.
Plus the third way as we've already discussed, using a simple 2.4GHz radio to run the throttle and any other functions.

It may not be allowed for most CL competition classes but it is becoming more and more widely used by CL sport fliers world-wide. Us CL retreads from many years ago like the simplicity and the ability to switch the motor off before we get too dizzy .

Steve