HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Discussion
XC fliers in S.E. Arizona?

Any XC pilots in the Sierra Vista/Douglas/Portal/Tucson area of Arizona? I'm going to be moving to the area soon and want to get into XC flying which is something we can't really do here in Georgia due to all the tree tunnels on the roads.

I've been working on a XC design that I want to build a prototype of as soon as I get moved and a shop area setup.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
137 Posts
Can't fly XC in Georgia? We've done a 100K out and return, and in November a free distance from Griffin to Americus (96 miles).
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Cool but how did you deal with the tree tunnels? I for one don't want to loose a ship because I can't see where the heck it is because of trees. I used to Fly down at Hodges with Mac and Bill and cant' imagine trying to fly and have a driver deal with the fools on the roads between here and there.

No sense in me trying to get started in it here since I'll be moving in a couple of months. Do wish I had know about you guys before this.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
137 Posts
Yea, wish you coud have hooked up with us - we favor Hwy 19, it's a north-south 4 lane divided highway with a grass median. There is plenty of space on either side, no close trees, and it's easy and safe when you need to pull over to thermal. And the median is landable if you need it. I try to make sure that I've got plenty of altitude before passing through a town (Thomaston, Ellaville, Butler, etc), if we get caught at a stoplight or two I just camber up and slow down for a moment. You are certainly right about tree tunnels, the first 8 miles on course from our launch field is 2 lane, with a few tunnels, you really have to get directly overhead and keep a good eye on the plane. I can't imagine trying to fly a lengthy course under those conditions.
Good luck with your flying out there, I would imagine that Arizona will be an ideal place to fly XC!
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:22 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,123 Posts
I bought an R&R XC only last Tuesday.

Still getting it fit for flight (it has flown before), it's several years old and just needs a a bit of repair and tune-up.

I'm in Patagonia, don't know any experienced XC-fliers but a lot of talented and enthusiastic RC glider pilots between here and Tucson and Phoenix and Sierra Vista.

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
229 Posts
XC is a blast

Phillip
You will really enjoy XC. I have two RnR XC planes and have been pilot in a couple of XC contests here in Calif. and plan on doing more as time goes on. I would bring a plane to the "week of fun" next month there where you are but I don't think there will be enough time to spend flying it. I would like to see your SBXC though. Did you get a variometer with it? You'll need one and a swivel chair and a pickup and you'll be in business. Flying XC is a different experience as you get to take the flying field on the road. Instead of waiting for thermals to come to you, you get to go on the road and hunt them down. Your area would be outstanding for an XC course. See you next month.

Rick Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket rocket View Post
I bought an R&R XC only last Tuesday.

Still getting it fit for flight (it has flown before), it's several years old and just needs a a bit of repair and tune-up.

I'm in Patagonia, don't know any experienced XC-fliers but a lot of talented and enthusiastic RC glider pilots between here and Tucson and Phoenix and Sierra Vista.

Philip
Rickj.1151 is offline Find More Posts by Rickj.1151
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
747 Posts
SAGE XC Site

Phil,
Twin Peaks road from the SAGE site is a terrific XC course. I'll be out that way after SWC.
Jim Deck
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,123 Posts
hey there Jim,

I was thinking of first flight somewhere up in the desert around Eloy.

Dead flat for miles in any direction and no trees.

see you soon

Philip
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hi Phil,

I'll be in touch without a doubt when I get out there. Looks like a nice XC plane you picked up and I'm sure we can work up a couple of different courses in the area for us to practice on.

I was born and raised in San Diego and used to go out to Sierra Vista to visit friends on a regular basis. I've even done some fishing there at Lake Patagonia so I kind of know the area. The place that I''m currently looking to get is over in Portal and is 40 acres in size so we'll have plenty of room for launching and flying. My plan is to open a company to produce kits for sailplanes of all types. I had been looking at a property just north of Douglas that was large enough to fly off of and had a nice looking slope right across the road. Unfortunately it was sold before I could snag it up.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickj.1151 View Post
Phillip
You will really enjoy XC. I have two RnR XC planes and have been pilot in a couple of XC contests here in Calif. and plan on doing more as time goes on. See you next month.

Rick Johnston
hello Rick

didn't know you were a Sportsman Class XC flyer too !!!!!!!!!!

I'll pump you for info next month.

My XC is an old one, but not flown much so should be OK. Don't know how old but it has solid pushrods and there is no canopy cut-out.

I want to get it fixed up and flown and then see what happens. Lots of wide open desert here for flying.

Philip
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Hi Phil,

I'll be in touch without a doubt when I get out there. Looks like a nice XC plane you picked up and I'm sure we can work up a couple of different courses in the area for us to practice on.
hello scaflock

lots of room for XC courses in AZ.

Lots of level open spaces North of Douglas, around McNeal for example.

Let me know when you get settled in AZ

Hope to fly it soon.

Philip