SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
361 Posts
In regards to sticker shock - try getting 29 sheets of wood laser cut, a cowl molded, plus hardware, gear, wheels, a box to ship it in, etc. and see how much you end up spending. That's not even including the time required to design and draw the thing. You would be surprised what the production cost of a kit this complete really is. I'm sure StevensAero could have cut the price in half by making it a short kit and letting the builder supply his own stripwood and hardware but I believe the objective was to produce a complete kit that could be easily built without multiple trips to the LHS for miscellaneous building supplies. Even with less expensive short kits of this size, by the time you round up all the stuff that didn't come with it you're still spending a couple bills.
crawlspace is offline Find More Posts by crawlspace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
I just finished mine. I'm with crawlspace. I understand the initial sticker shock, but when you realize how much balsa, parts, etc. that go into this kit, the price is not surprising at all. Then you add Bill's engineering/design to kit Thayer's design, this full kit is a bargain. I can' t count the number of times I stopped and thought: Wow that is a really cool way to do this ...
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
574 Posts
Mine is a keeper!

Totally agree with the review! I'm planning on having mine around for many years.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Great review, I love the lines of the Daddy-O. I spent many hours cutting out parts from the above referrenced "Print Wood" with nothing but a pointed razor blade, when I was a kid. It was hard, but that was all we had. I learned how to do it pretty good too. The Daddy-O kinda reminds me of the old Comet "Senior Dart" rubber power model. Great looking old timer. I have to put the Daddy-O on my todo list.
Keep up the great work!
~Vrated
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2009
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
Great review, I love the lines of the Daddy-O. I spent many hours cutting out parts from the above referrenced "Print Wood" with nothing but a pointed razor blade, when I was a kid. It was hard, but that was all we had. I learned how to do it pretty good too. The Daddy-O kinda reminds me of the old Comet "Senior Dart" rubber power model. Great looking old timer. I have to put the Daddy-O on my todo list.
Keep up the great work!
~Vrated
That reminds me of the time I was the paid hand and navigator of a sailboat owned by the ex-mayor of an Australian coastal town. I had built a Tiger Moth from one of those kits, he saw it hanging from our ceiling and said 'could you build me one', so I did by copying it from measurements, what a pain!!!!! I charged him $50 for it, even had VH-TOM handpainted on the wings, his name was Tom. A couple of months later his wife spun out, probably from lack of sex or too much sex, can't remember, and smashed it to pieces. She had said she couldn't stand seeing VH-TOM on it.Isn't marriage great?They had been married 50 years,and I still remember she made a really lousy cup of tea. Both dead now and we're joining them shortly.Sorry for spoiling your day.
cepheus is offline Find More Posts by cepheus
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
that is a hilarious post - that made me laugh
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
The Balsa Farmer
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Jul 2005
540 Posts
I love my Daddy-O. I actually bought at at Stevens in Colorado Springs right after it came out. She flies like a dream. Being an old kit builder, the build was very easy, especially with the laser cut parts. About the only mod that I made to mine was to stiffen up the landing gear so that it was not as bouncy for those not so perfect landings. The cowling is not painted, but covered. I really enjoy having this plane and never plan to sell it. Yes, some have said sticker shock, but IMO, it was worth every penny.

bassfisher is offline Find More Posts by bassfisher
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2006
9 Posts
And let's not forget that in this day of sending all our hard earned money overseas (you know where) this kit is designed and manufactured in the USA.
bjacobsen is offline Find More Posts by bjacobsen
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Cepheus - that is one funny story of what life can come up with, and thank you for telling it!

In the meantime, one reason I don't build many kits is showing itself in usual fashion.

I keep wondering about what a low winged version of Daddy-O would look like. Okay, some might say 'Daddy-LO', but I said it first .

Keep the planform and rear fuselage/vertical stab the same, move the wing down some, alter the underbody structure to accomodate the wing. Same UC and cowling would go a long way to avoiding onset of early insanity.

Just be thankful I have around six designs in the (theoretical) plan mountain.

Also interesting how many of the growing fleet of Daddy-Os are leaning to using a 'stock' paint pattern - same trim shapes, albeit in different colours. The last model to do something similar that I can recall was the Clancy Aviation 'Lazy Bee'.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:09 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,481 Posts
Anybody know why Thayer got fired from Fly RC?
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
I love my Daddy-O. I actually bought at at Stevens in Colorado Springs right after it came out. She flies like a dream. Being an old kit builder, the build was very easy, especially with the laser cut parts. About the only mod that I made to mine was to stiffen up the landing gear so that it was not as bouncy for those not so perfect landings. The cowling is not painted, but covered. I really enjoy having this plane and never plan to sell it. Yes, some have said sticker shock, but IMO, it was worth every penny.
Can you tell us what you did to stiffen the gear? Beautiful plane. Thanks
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
692 Posts
I said sticker shock in an earlier post and I'm sticking to it but, I would gladly pay it. It's a fantastic looking plane.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Stevephoon
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
Nice review Albert!

Your building experience seems just like mine. This is a great kit. I built mine last winter and absolutely love it. It's been a big hit every time I take it out. (Which is quite often!) This is just a great looking plane. I like this size of plane as well, big enough to take to the club's field and take off when the gassers are flying, gentle enough to take to a large park.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with this kit. Thank You SA!

Steve
slabuta is online now Find More Posts by slabuta
Last edited by slabuta; Feb 25, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
134 Posts
Really liking the looks of this kit. Never built before so I'll probably make it my second build.

Slabuta, sharp covering job. Similar to the other guys but the details and colors float my boat, so to speak. Also digging the wood prop. It just looks "right' on this model.
highnpressurized is offline Find More Posts by highnpressurized
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ness View Post
Don't complain about sticker shock! Let's remember this is an american made product. Made by people who need a reasonable wage not chinese wages. I think this is also a great example of you get what you pay for. Try and get a build support or spare parts for you Hobby King arf.
The problem with that logic is that the product isn't really "made" at all. These are kits. They are packaged, not "made". Clearly there is a design cost, but that's true of all the planes designed here and produced in China. The labor costs are limited to loading wood into a laser cutter and packing the materials. The real labor is supplied by you and me!

I bought a kit from Stevens Aero a couple of years ago (a GWS Slow Stick upgrade kit). At that time it seemed like a reasonable value, but at some point thereafter they made a huge increase to the prices on almost every kit. I paid 34.99. Now it's 49.00. That's a 40% jump on a kit with no new design costs. Prices of other kits were similarly increased.

Even though most of my planes are ARFs, I like the idea of building an occasional plane. I just can't see spending a lot more money when I'm the one doing all of the work. With kit prices as high as Stevens', I'm just going to pay less and get a mostly finished product that is better looking than what I can do.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu