HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Walkera 4F200 Tx/ESC settings for slow-startup?

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a way to have my Walkera 4F200 have a nice slow-spinning rotor throttle startup upon takeoff.

The Problem:
As it is right now, my 4F200 will not even give throttle response until I'm about 1/4 or 1/3 stick. Once I do get throttle response, my 4F200 will spin the blades quite suddenly and the tail kicks to the side, making my heli do a 180 before I'm even off the ground.

Things I've tried:
I've experimented with the normal throttle curve to make the "2 position" in the WK-2801Pro to be as low as 1%. It will still kick to the side pretty bad unless I make the "3 position" at 5%, which is at mid-stick (originally had it anywhere between 30% and 40%). This really won't do me much good when I try to go idle-up. Ideally, I'd like mid-stick normal throttle curve to be near 50% throttle when I decide to go idle-up, not 5%.

Speculations:
Perhaps this is something I need to program the ESC's settings for? If that's the case, I don't have an ESC programming card, nor have I ever changed an ESC's settings to begin with.

I'll say that this is just a minor problem I'm having with this heli that I'd like to have fixed if possible. It really does fly great when I have it up in the air, no problems.

Comments:
I'm more accustomed to the way Spektrum has their computer radios setup, so the WK-2801Pro is something new to me, but I assume both radios have no differences other than where things are in the menus.

Everything on this heli is totally stock.

I appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I've heard more good things about this heli than bad.

If anyone can suggest the throttle curves they are using for this heli, that'd be greatly appreciated as well.
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron Xen View Post
Greetings all,

I'm looking for a way to have my Walkera 4F200 have a nice slow-spinning rotor throttle startup upon takeoff.

The Problem:
As it is right now, my 4F200 will not even give throttle response until I'm about 1/4 or 1/3 stick. Once I do get throttle response, my 4F200 will spin the blades quite suddenly and the tail kicks to the side, making my heli do a 180 before I'm even off the ground.

Things I've tried:
I've experimented with the normal throttle curve to make the "2 position" in the WK-2801Pro to be as low as 1%. It will still kick to the side pretty bad unless I make the "3 position" at 5%, which is at mid-stick (originally had it anywhere between 30% and 40%). This really won't do me much good when I try to go idle-up. Ideally, I'd like mid-stick normal throttle curve to be near 50% throttle when I decide to go idle-up, not 5%.

Speculations:
Perhaps this is something I need to program the ESC's settings for? If that's the case, I don't have an ESC programming card, nor have I ever changed an ESC's settings to begin with.

I'll say that this is just a minor problem I'm having with this heli that I'd like to have fixed if possible. It really does fly great when I have it up in the air, no problems.

Comments:
I'm more accustomed to the way Spektrum has their computer radios setup, so the WK-2801Pro is something new to me, but I assume both radios have no differences other than where things are in the menus.

I appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I've heard more good things about this heli than bad.

If anyone can suggest the throttle curves they are using for this heli, that'd be greatly appreciated as well.
Hello,
If your heli is completely stock, and you've read this thread, then the first thing you should do is change the RX to a2618V. You will see a difference immediately when you first spool it up. It wil handle a lot better when taking off, and will not tip over as the stock 4F200 has a tendency to do. Second in regards to the ESC, I don't believe that you can program stock ESC's. You will have to buy an aftermarket programmable ESC that allows a 'Super Soft" start. Then you will be able to program your TC as you like.

Good luck,
AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
E10
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
Hello,
If your heli is completely stock, and you've read this thread, then the first thing you should do is change the RX to a2618V. You will see a difference immediately when you first spool it up. It wil handle a lot better when taking off, and will not tip over as the stock 4F200 has a tendency to do. Second in regards to the ESC, I don't believe that you can program stock ESC's. You will have to buy an aftermarket programmable ESC that allows a 'Super Soft" start. Then you will be able to program your TC as you like.

Good luck,
AB
This might be a dumb question, but how do you get the RC Timer 30A into program mode? My Walkera RX won't bind with the throttle full up. Is there a trick here?
E10 is offline Find More Posts by E10
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E10 View Post
This might be a dumb question, but how do you get the RC Timer 30A into program mode? My Walkera RX won't bind with the throttle full up. Is there a trick here?
Here is a link to one on ebay, it has the instruction manual for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RC-Timer...item19b7648a18

AB
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:19 AM
E10
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Haha...thanks...I already have the instructions....the problem was that I turned on the TX (2801 PRO), throttle to the top, then plug in the ESC, which is plugged into the RX (2612V), but the ESC wouln't enter program mode because the RX never binds, the light just keep blinking, like its waiting for a bind. I am assuming the RX has a protection feature that doesn't allow a bind at full throttle. It turns out you need to provide power to the RX, turn on the TX, let it bind, then full throttle, then plug in the main battery to the ESC...it then entered program mode
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Haha...thanks...I already have the instructions....the problem was that I turned on the TX (2801 PRO), throttle to the top, then plug in the ESC, which is plugged into the RX (2612V), but the ESC wouln't enter program mode because the RX never binds, the light just keep blinking, like its waiting for a bind. I am assuming the RX has a protection feature that doesn't allow a bind at full throttle. It turns out you need to provide power to the RX, turn on the TX, let it bind, then full throttle, then plug in the main battery to the ESC...it then entered program mode
O I C....!

I didn't remember the process, as I haven't done it in a while.
Good luck!
AB
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:47 AM
E10
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Thanks AB...all working now...just needed to add that first step missing from the instructions...#1) 5V to the RX
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
RC Timers ESC

I just emailed RC Timer and asked them if a program card can be used to program their ESC. They said yes, It's the same as a Hobbyking/Turnigy. I have a Turnigy card and have used it before, it makes the process quite simple!

AB
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:19 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Here you go: http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=1

The program card is easier, but this will get it done. The problem is that walkera won't send a throttle output till it sees zero throttle, but the esc is looking for full throttle as the first output. Catch-22.

Rafa
Quote:
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
One method I use with Walkera radio's is to

1. bind the heli to the RX,
2. then unplug the heli leaving the TX on
3. move the throttle to 100%
4. plug the heli back in again

The RX finds the TX again letting the ESC go into programming mode.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron Xen View Post
Greetings all,

The Problem:

Things I've tried:

Speculations:

Comments:

The problem you're describing is a symptom of a defective ESC. I have had 2 Walkera ESC's behave like this. If you throttle up very slowly and carefully you should be able to effect a soft start. Since you can't do that, replace the ESC, it's damaged. Replace it with a RC-Timer ESC as others have advised. I have one on my 4F200 and have no problems with it.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Watchout!

Hey guys,

I'm a noobie here, thanks for all the great info! I've wanted a CP heli since I was about 5 years old and after spending many hours on a sim, I finally got the 4F200 with the 2603 TX. Go big or go home I guess (on a budget that is).

Just a few pieces of info I thought I'd share for those of you who are having troubles setting it up. When I first got mine, the swashplate was not level and the servo arms were not at 90*. Fixed that OK.

Next problem, when I spooled it up the heli started spinning out of control and nearly flipped. Walkera says the main motor hookups are not color coded but they should be!! My rotors were spinning backwards. Switch any two of the three leads and that solved that problem.

The next problem took me a day of thinking and a lot of experimenting to figure out. Here's what was happening- whenever I gave it throttle, it pitched forward and to the left. The more throttle I gave it, the more it pitched. I tried all the swash settings on the TX (1servo, two etc). And nothing helped. It was like some bizarre servo mixing I just couldn't get rid of. Until..... I realized that the pitch servo and forward/rear cyclic servo were in the wrong places. I swapped them with each other and that fixed that! For those of you who are having this sort of problem, make sure Walkera hooked up your servos right!

Also, for those of you who are having problems selecting your swash setup on the TX, once I got my servos hooked up right the 3 servo swash setup on the 2603 worked like a charm. I have it setup using the PAE (clockwise from top left).

Its 11pm and snowing here in Portland, OR and I just went a block away to a covered basketball court and performed my first hover! I'm not very good yet, but at least everything is working properly.

And BTW, these things are WAY different than the sims.

Hope this helps someone.

Josh
JFheli is offline Find More Posts by JFheli
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFheli View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a noobie here, thanks for all the great info! I've wanted a CP heli since I was about 5 years old and after spending many hours on a sim, I finally got the 4F200 with the 2603 TX. Go big or go home I guess (on a budget that is).

Just a few pieces of info I thought I'd share for those of you who are having troubles setting it up. When I first got mine, the swashplate was not level and the servo arms were not at 90*. Fixed that OK.

Next problem, when I spooled it up the heli started spinning out of control and nearly flipped. Walkera says the main motor hookups are not color coded but they should be!! My rotors were spinning backwards. Switch any two of the three leads and that solved that problem.

The next problem took me a day of thinking and a lot of experimenting to figure out. Here's what was happening- whenever I gave it throttle, it pitched forward and to the left. The more throttle I gave it, the more it pitched. I tried all the swash settings on the TX (1servo, two etc). And nothing helped. It was like some bizarre servo mixing I just couldn't get rid of. Until..... I realized that the pitch servo and forward/rear cyclic servo were in the wrong places. I swapped them with each other and that fixed that! For those of you who are having this sort of problem, make sure Walkera hooked up your servos right!

Also, for those of you who are having problems selecting your swash setup on the TX, once I got my servos hooked up right the 3 servo swash setup on the 2603 worked like a charm. I have it setup using the PAE (clockwise from top left).

Its 11pm and snowing here in Portland, OR and I just went a block away to a covered basketball court and performed my first hover! I'm not very good yet, but at least everything is working properly.

And BTW, these things are WAY different than the sims.

Hope this helps someone.

Josh
Josh,

Congrats on your new heli! It appears that you are getting a good start on troubleshooting & fixing problems. Just a quick tip, GET RID OF THE 2612V!!! That receiver has a high failure rate, and causes a lot of crashes! Replace it with a 2618V as soon as you can, you won't regret it! The 2618V is a more stable RX, and allows the 3G system to work at 0 throttle, whereas the 2612V activates around 40% throttle and will allow your heli to tip over during spool-up, or dart to the ground after lift-off. Be careful, and good luck!

AB
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyHelifly11 View Post
Josh,

Congrats on your new heli! It appears that you are getting a good start on troubleshooting & fixing problems. Just a quick tip, GET RID OF THE 2612V!!! That receiver has a high failure rate, and causes a lot of crashes! Replace it with a 2618V as soon as you can, you won't regret it! The 2618V is a more stable RX, and allows the 3G system to work at 0 throttle, whereas the 2612V activates around 40% throttle and will allow your heli to tip over during spool-up, or dart to the ground after lift-off. Be careful, and good luck!

AB
By the accounts I've read, the RX2624V-D is better than even the RX2618V but I'm not sure that there is a V (no D) version of it yet which you'll need for a 2603 TX.
(Ah - seems there is: http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-airwolf...eceiver-1.aspx )

Certainly my RX2618V-D in my V200D03 appears to have a glitch whereby it doesn't react, doesn't react, over reacts... especially for ELEV. but it only happens intermittently and you're never quite sure when it will happen. It's almost like it forgets about D/R for a moment. I wondered if it was possibly a static issue. I need to check more.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
By the accounts I've read, the RX2624V-D is better than even the RX2618V but I'm not sure that there is a V (no D) version of it yet which you'll need for a 2603 TX.
(Ah - seems there is: http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-airwolf...eceiver-1.aspx )

Certainly my RX2618V-D in my V200D03 appears to have a glitch whereby it doesn't react, doesn't react, over reacts... especially for ELEV. but it only happens intermittently and you're never quite sure when it will happen. It's almost like it forgets about D/R for a moment. I wondered if it was possibly a static issue. I need to check more.
I just happen to have a 2624V installed in one of my 1#A FBL conversions, it works great! A also have a spare, I may put it in my 4F200.

AB