HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
South Korea
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Hi Edi,

If you have to choose between a PMT yellow front insert and a TT SB5 black front insert, which one do you use?
young1670 is offline Find More Posts by young1670
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1670 View Post
Hi Edi,

If you have to choose between a PMT yellow front insert and a TT SB5 black front insert, which one do you use?
"le black TT" with a layer of black foam (2-4mm thick, 10-12mm wide) between the tire and the insert.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
"le black TT" with a layer of black foam (2-4mm thick, 10-12mm wide) between the tire and the insert.
any pics of this method edi??

a.
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:59 AM
South Korea
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Hi, Edi

For rear inserts, which one would be better choice between a NF blueish insert and a TT black insert except Massari?
The NF blueish insert is so light, I have to put a lot of lead to make 190g. So it is not easy to install a rear tire.

For a parking lot drive with some small stones and cracks, should I choose tires with hard inserts like Massri or tires with soft inserts? I heard soft insert will absorb shocks from them. Is that true?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:00 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
First I dont use any of those foam inserts anymore.
I have a different method for inserts unluckally its expensive and
I cant supply to the public.

To keep this simple: Massari iserts are good for front and rear.
I never tried the blue insers but they feel harder than the black ones.
I wouldnt ever suggest anyone to use the yellow ones anymore.

Common sense says the softer the more you need the tires to
absorb. I donīt know how bumpy and crack and stony the parking lot is:
But my prediction says: Massari should be able to cope with it.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:53 AM
South Korea
Joined Dec 2010
30 Posts
Is there anybody using springs between brake pads just like 1/5 scale cars?
If I reduce a diameter of brake disk by 1mm, I could install shortened soft steering springs between brake pads.

Would it be a good idea? Or, has anybody already done that?
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:11 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1670 View Post
Is there anybody using springs between brake pads just like 1/5 scale cars?
If I reduce a diameter of brake disk by 1mm, I could install shortened soft steering springs between brake pads.

Would it be a good idea? Or, has anybody already done that?
You just need to check that the springs dont rub against the outer dia of the brake disc. There is a close fit between the Pad screws and the Disc. I tried it with a smaller outer diameter disc. It works but because of the design principle the disc will always rub against the pads whatever you do. Even if you use the brake disc guide I made for the SB5 it will always rub on one of the sides if you have adjusted everything properly.
The slight rubbing is no real issue on a front brake. Most problems arise when the whole thing isnīt adjusted properly and the disc can lock up inbetween the pads. In this forum there are quite some posts how to align everything correctly. I also suggest you to try the guide I mentioned above.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
Today there was a gathering at my local "Lostallo" track, organized by a Greek Model forum (www.modelteam.gr), so being nice weather, I rode my BMW there, with a couple of bikes, just in case the savage public would give me some space and... respect. I took the SB5 and the KP10. I managed to run the SB5 in three 15-minute sessions, until it started raining so very lightly that the traction was drift like!
Anyway, the bike is now with the Worlds Stock ruling SP electronics and motor, geared 87/28, shortish crashbars and Clark's tires.
First of all, kudos to Clark for making so perfect tires! The bike ran straight as an arrow and at last it managed to do a perfect arc when turing in the turns, no matter the speed! Usually I managed to glue my front tire well on one side, but always missed something in the other, this resulting in a wavy sort of cornering radii! It was fun, but it was also disturbing. Not knowing observers may have thought it was "normal" but inside me I KNEW!
I have softened the oils in front and rear shocks a few months now, with 600cps front and 1000cps rear, as well as the springs are a scale softer at both ends.
At the front, at the moment there's a Savox 1251 LP servo, but I think I will replace it with the ACE DS1015, soon.
Other than that, I crashed a couple of times, due to me getting overconfident and taking too many liberties!
I loved it and can't wait to get back in track for more practising!
Pics and videos will appear during the week... I'll come back with some, I guess!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
365 Posts
@steliosh,

thanks alot for your compliment on our product. but please also let me know is anything goes wrong in the future.

i am confident we did a good job but gluing tyres is not an easy task as every single tyre, rim and insert is little different and for that reason cannot be done by robots.

i hope in the future the tyre will be an item to simply forget about and just take it out of the bag, use it, and throw it into the bin after using it for some 50 charges.
Clark Wohlert is offline Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
so far, after 5 charges, they both hold as new, if you disregard the slight scuffing on the sides. However, the central mold line is still there!!!
I still have not opened my 2nd bag of tires, of course. Let them be there, in case I have a rip or some problem with any of the first two!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:40 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
Pics of today's runs, at "Did you use your bike today" thread... Videos to come shortly, as well, I was promised!!!

See my bike drifting IN CONTROL!
People wanted wheelies... so... I gave them the next best thing!
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:49 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
so being nice weather, I rode my BMW there
Yeah, rub it in..
We are freezing here, and you play with your small and big bikes!

Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:02 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,316 Posts
Oops!!!!
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,708 Posts
70š here today....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:43 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
660 Posts
..and how much would that be in real degrees?
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg