HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2008
68 Posts
Discussion
Wing Are/Wing loading calculations

First off, I would like to say hello to all the rc-pilots out there. If anyone is interested in knowing how to calculate wing area and wing loadings you may find this helpfull. The first step is to measure the root length where the main wing will attach to the fuselage, next is to measure the tip width of that wing. Next, measure the lenght of the leading edge of the wing, followed by measuring the trailing edge of the wing. Add the measurement of the root lenght to the tip length and divide by 2, this will give you the average, repeat the same process for the leading edge and the trailing edge of the wings. The measurment you know have is in Square inches and must be converted to sqaure feet. Let say 420 square inches total, you divide this by 144, this equals to 2.91666666. I round this off to 2.92 sqaure feet. This is a crude but somewhat accurate way of getting wing areas. Now for Wing loading First you must get the total ready to fly weight of the plane let say 2lbs 11.5 OZ, you need to convert this into ounces, the are 16OZ per pound so the math is simple 16+16+11.5 = 43.5, Since we are dealing with an airplane there are 2 sets of wings the right, and the left side so the total area is 840 Square inches and a total of 5.84 Sqaure feet of wing. Divide the total Weight of the plane in ounces by the Square feet of wing, ie 43.5 divided by 5.84 which translates to 7.44 ounces per square foot wing loading. It would make this a very lightly loaded wing. This was just an example. In some European countrys they include the horizontal stab in the total calculation, I am not sure why as most planes use sheet balsa and there is really no significant lift generated by the stab. I have found out that wing loading however does not tell the full story in how fast, or how slow you could fly a plane safely. I found out on my Het f-104 that it will slow down on landing , and retain full controllability to such a point that I thought wouldnt be possible when you look at the model and see those tiny wings and long fuselage. Also the bigger the plane the less wing loading seems to be a factor. I hope this help some of you out there, I belive in sharing what litlle I know and hope that it make a differance in someone elses flight experiance.

Mike Forsblade
fireblade47 is offline Find More Posts by fireblade47
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
FREE Gene!!! Get Banned!!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,679 Posts
or just go here.....

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_wingload.htm

for very extensive calculations...

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm