HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:59 AM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Discussion
OS install question

After having some problems with installing XP on my XPS and having problems booting my XPS up, I thought I may have a bad hard drive. I pulled the hard drive out of my XPS and installed it in an external hard drive case and plugged it into my laptop. I am able to access the hard drive from the laptop and Im sure its still good. Can I do an install of XP on my XPS hard drive through my laptop? Is it possible to direct the XP install to an external hard drive? I would like to install this drive back into my XPS after installing XP if thats possible.

Thanks
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4
Old Dec 05, 2007, 10:09 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
You can do an install of XP onto an external hard drive. The only trick with this is that whatever drive letter the OS is installed onto will remain. So you may have the boot drive being E: or something like that.

But my feeling is that if you're having problems accessing the drive in the XPS machine to start with, you won't be able to access it after the OS is installed.

I always disconnect all peripherals and USB devices when I install an OS. Also, make sure the hard drive controller is not in AHCI mode. XP doesn't like that.
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 05, 2007, 10:40 AM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Thanks Thunder! The reason I cant boot the XPS up is because of a bad Boot.ini file. The reason I cant repair the Windows install on the XPS using the repair disk is because for some reason my machine will not recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation. The CD-ROM drives both work once the machine is booted, just not during the OS install process for some reason. I saved everything I needed from the XPS hard drive last night and now I just want a clean install of XP since I am going to make the XPS my dedicated flight simming machine.
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4