Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jul 2013
3 Posts
Help!
complete novice and not sure which area to ask questions about receivers and servos.

I tried for the first time to post questions somewhere else but I couldn't figure out the abbreviations like BEC and many more. I'm a walk in off the street novice trying to learn quickly on my own. (Battery Elimination Circuit)

Questions: The 3-axis 3-accelerometer unit. Does the unit provide voltage output to the servos to activate them OR is it an AM/FM/RF "signal" that is sent to the servo which is then converted in the servo to 3, 5, 6....volts to power the motor to move the bellcrank etc. The servo having its own power supply in this case.
So is it a signal or voltage that goes to the servo from the receiver.

Thanks and where should I ask novice questions.
novice1234 is offline Find More Posts by novice1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:52 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,371 Posts
Quote:
Questions: The 3-axis 3-accelerometer unit. Does the unit provide voltage output to the servos to activate them OR is it an AM/FM/RF "signal" that is sent to the servo which is then converted in the servo to 3, 5, 6....volts to power the motor to move the bellcrank etc. The servo having its own power supply in this case.
So is it a signal or voltage that goes to the servo from the receiver.
I'm not sure exactly which unit you're referring to; there are quite a few on the market by now. To answer your question, though, all power to the servos, receiver, and the stabilization unit would be provided by a central supply (a BEC or a separate receiver battery). A PWM signal is also supplied, which tells the servo what to do with the voltage it's getting.

Quote:
Thanks and where should I ask novice questions.
The easiest way to learn anything in this hobby, honestly, is to clarify exactly what you're actually trying to accomplish and then ask very specific, detailed questions pertaining to your application. Rather than wandering around asking for individual bits of information and then trying to weld them all together, it's more efficient to get simple, narrowly-scoped advice and then expand your own knowledge through time, experience, and reading on various subjects.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:53 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
362 Posts
Try here:
Beginner Training Area, Aircraft, Electric

For the most part, folks in there are patient and helpful. But keep your questions focused and specific, so a definitive answer can be reasonably expected. Vague questions don't get much attention, at best, and attract frustration at worst.

Better yet, search the "stickies" in each category first, as they tend to address the most commonly asked question in that area. And figure out how to do reasonable "searches" for your topic... so you can see if the info you are looking for has already been discussed.

Good luck in there! And Welcome.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
3 Posts
Novice1234 Thanks to everyone.

Thanks to everyone I will get organized and try to focus in on one specific item at a time.
novice1234 is offline Find More Posts by novice1234
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:26 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,198 Posts
Good luck with your learning and if you do ever want to ask about receivers and servos as your heading says then the Radios forum is a good spot http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/

You'll find you get the best answers if you say exactly what equipment you're asking about (make and model for preference).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:55 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,692 Posts
If you are as rank a beginner as you state, why do you start by asking about accelerometers?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
If you are as rank a beginner as you state, why do you start by asking about accelerometers?
Possibly because a lot of 'trainer' planes these days have flight stab to make flying them easier.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea but it might be why op is asking about them.
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:02 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
889 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask questions. That is how everyone starts.

The name of the plane, and the receiver and servos would be helpful. Then someone reading this post could know the system.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141