HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Discussion
OSD Voice Customization

I can guess what the answer will be, but I want to ask anyway. Is it at all possible to customize the voices used on the EagleTree OSD? The male voice is half decent, but the female voice sounds like a young boy. It would be really nice if we could import our own voices. I'd definitely make my own female set if this were possible.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,917 Posts
Great question! There's no facility to customize it, but we do plan to record new male/female voices soon, and both will use professional "vocalists."
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
That's too bad, but that's also good to know. Voices add to the coolness factor of the OSD, which is half the reason to get an EagleTree over a basic one.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,917 Posts
Hi, that's great feedback on the voice feature. For custom voices, is the quality of the voice the biggest concern, or are you looking for custom messages also?

I hope we can find a way to have our "canned" voices meet your needs.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
I was putting some thought to it actually earlier, along with some other feature ideas I've been having while getting/testing everything.

Quality of the voice was the main concern I suppose. Having more of a flight computer sounding voice would be neat. I liked the idea of custom because then people could create voice packs, so you could have interesting options potentially like robotic voices, russian voices, or even borg voices :P

Having the ability to play a custom sound for a high/low alarm would be very nice as well, even if that was the only customization possible. Having a 'ding!' with hard to read outlined white text for alarms can take a second or two (especially with a bad signal) to read the message.

If custom is absolutely not possible because the firmware has to be static binaries, then creating new voices and potentially adding different sound options (i.e. you can select the sound to play for each alarm from a drop down, so they can be unique) would be nice. Having some canned alarm sounds or voices like "Low Power" for low voltage alarms, or "Consider Landing" for high mAH usage alarms would be a good compromise. Allowing custom would just make it so the community could make these for you, and copyright issues go out the window with sound selection
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,917 Posts
Hi, this is great feedback, thanks!

Having an array of sound options for alarms would be relatively easy to do. I like that. Another option would be to have UI to let you build the alarm message to be announced from a pool of existing words (perhaps expanded). Maybe we add some 'salty' word choices.

Anybody else interested in these features?
Site Sponsor