HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:56 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,208 Posts
my friends funjet I radared at 128 mph and I flew it many of times, fun to get your knees shaking with speed and super roll rate, BUT, I'll never buy one.
my two cents
Dave
that was my last two cents
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:48 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
I have had a couple of 4S funjets and they are certainly fast and fun...and very noisy...annoyingly so,so be aware that they can lead to problems in parks.
Well I have finished most of the mods on my extra,have the larger 3015A motor,a 40 amp ESC and critically have changed out all the crap control rods with heavier items with proper clevis ends and adjustable EZ connectors.I also freed up the surfaces a lot by flexing them hard back and forth heaps of times,this makes a big difference and reduces the servo load significantly.I have got much freer surfaces with more travel now.I also shaved small amounts from the edges of the elevator and horizontal stab to enable more travel(use a new blade) and did the same for the ailerons.
I will see how the servos go before replacing them if needed,freeing up the surfaces should help here.
I also made a temp fix to the LG by drilling holes low down on the legs and stringing across some braid fishing line to stop them spreading,they are very soft alloy.
I will report back when I get a chance to fly it,but at this stage I can report that she is no lightweight,actually a bit of a porker really...mainly due to the dense foam I think plus she needs the nose weight of the heavier motor anyway so not sure if shedding weight is really possible.It looks nice though so I am happy enough with it and I can prop up to get around 400 watts if I want.
I also think that it needs an exhaust hole on the bottom of the fuse behind the servos as there is nowhere for the hot air to go plus it will be pressurising the canopy.I may carve a hole and cover it with a venturi to hopefully neaten it up and also suck the hot air out.
Anyway will report after maiden.
Cheers,
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:43 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
hobbyking extra 260 EPO with new landing gear (4 min 20 sec)
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:27 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,177 Posts
For sale

Anyone in the USA looking for one of these? One of these with modifications?

If you read back through this thread you'll see the changes I've made to mine. Changes like motor, esc, prop, landing gear, control rods, belly paint, etc.

I've flown mine several times now and it's a wonderful flyer in it's current state, but it's just not my thing.

PM me if interested...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I just got one (blue) and have it built, it did come with a bad esc that started smoking once I plugged in the battery (3cell) so will have to get another esc quick. But other than that the plane looks great and can't wait to get it up in the air

P.S. I am also in the process of making a "whats in the box" and a "how to assemble" video if anyone is interested.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:21 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
P.S. I am also in the process of making a "whats in the box" and a "how to assemble" video if anyone is interested.

j3tman,
You might want to make a follow-up video of "How to Modify" to avoid failures
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Well to be honest I just got the plane today and I really don't know what to modify, do you think you could help a pilot out?

j3tman,
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Well to be honest I just got the plane today and I really don't know what to modify, do you think you could help a pilot out?

j3tman,
read the thread mate, its filled with plenty of mods and things you should modify.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Yeah I probably should've done that in the first place anyways, I always get really excited every time I get a new plane and don't really think things all the way through lol

j3tman,
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Ok now that I have gone through and read through this thread, I might of missed a few things but I at least know what everyone is talking about So mods that might need to be down: better control horns and connections with the control rods, either a new motor or prop down to a 9*5 when flying on a 3cell, and the gear needs a better way of attaching to the fuselage.

When I do my maiden flight I am going to use the stock setup BUT I will use a 9*5 prop instead of the stock prop, I am doing this so that everyone can get an idea of what this plane will do on the stock setup. After that or until the motor dies I will get a bigger motor but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

But my first impressions of this plane are really good, I like the finish of the plane, the plane is very straight forward to put together and only took me about 30min, and I'm really looking forward to the maiden flight.

Like I said before I made a video of what comes in the box and how to assemble it, this may be old info for anyone who already has the plane BUT this is just something I like to do with all of my planes. Enjoy the video

HobbyKing EPO Extra 260 (blue): Whats in the box and How to assemble (3 min 51 sec)

j3tman,
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,607 Posts
you guys werent lying ,when you said the landing gear sucked . those things bent up just by looking at them. IMO the plane is overpriced for what you get as far as electronics,the plane itself once set up with a better motor,prop and servos is a great plane for some mild sport flying "which is what i do, and only can do,".
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
In regard to the LG,I just ran some strong braid fishing line (50lb) between the two legs,horizontally,with some slack for a bit of give,and it seems to be okay after a few flights,stops the spread legs so to speak...
I maidened this am and she flew like I expected really,more sport than 3D,it really is a little porker.My setup is a 3015 1000kv HK motor,40 amp Mystery ESC,standard servos,11x5.5 prop,1800 Turnigy 3S.
It has great vertical but has a nasty snap if slowed too much or too much elevator.I am also getting a lot of coupling in knife edge.I think this is tied to CG.Can anyone tell me their settings for CG? I am behind the spar at the moment and she dives inverted yet feels a bit tail heavy otherwise...I can only move my lipo back a little more until I run out of room,so before I carve can someone tell me a nice neutral CG?
Other than that,I quite like it for what it is,nicely finished,reasonably scale,good quality foam but at this stage,more aero than 3D.Dunno the weight but she feels heavy and the weight is the dense foam so she is what she is.
Bleary
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:57 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,031 Posts
Hi,
I added a Simprop Magic Torque 30-15 which is 1500KV.
Oeps....even with 9x4.5 APC-E it had over 40amps. In flight it was fast and way overpowered and ripped off the elevator!!!

Now I added the Magic Torque 30-09 which is 900KV and runs a 12x6 at 26amps.
I added a Turnigy 45amp AE ESC. This one stays cool.
Essential the 30amp stock ESC could do the job, but I have a bit mor trust in the Turnigy 45amp AE ESC with switched bec.

Plane is great and blast to fly.
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
I swapped out my rx that i had in this plane for one of those orange spektrum rx's and i was able to set up flaps on this plane now. With the 1700kv motor and an 8x4 prop its really fast on the landings and i have broken several props even with the landing gear on it.

Hopefully with the flaps setup it wont brake anymore props.

Ill post up some pics of my new mods soon.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
I swapped out my rx that i had in this plane for one of those orange spektrum rx's and i was able to set up flaps on this plane now. With the 1700kv motor and an 8x4 prop its really fast on the landings and i have broken several props even with the landing gear on it.

Hopefully with the flaps setup it wont brake anymore props.

Ill post up some pics of my new mods soon.
wise to tape the elevators
mine did wrap off using the 1500KV motor and 9x4.5 prop
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver