HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:40 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
Build Log
LEG 60" P-38H Lightning (Prototype) Build

A few years back I came upon a small hangar and airfield tucked into the SE corner of Kentucky. Here I found “Glacier Girl” in her small hangar/museum. I knew then I wanted to eventually build a P-38 as a slope soarer. But, with my limited scratch building skills I waited for a kit which would not be a major investment.
It took a long time (2+ years) but Jack finally sent me a prototype kit of the P-38 Lightning. This was about a year ago and I have been working on it off and on - mostly off - while doing other builds. I prefer the earlier, through H, models with a sleeker air intake for the oil cooler. But, when this plane goes into production Jack will most certainly also offer the “J” and later model with the more pronounced air intake.
jcarstan is online now Find More Posts by jcarstan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:42 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
While talking to Jack about this kit he emphasized that it is not a beginner’s build and is designed for the more experienced builder. It is recommended that you already be familiar with EPP construction methods and, preferably, have already built one or two LEG planes. At this point, Jack does not plan to issue any build instructions specifically for the P-38 or offer a pre-shaped version. However, all this may change over time and it is best to check the web site, www.leadingedgegliders.com , or speak to him directly, to get the latest information. Here is a post from Jack on availability, if enough people are interested: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=p+38
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:52 AM
Modelrater Deluxe
Western Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
1,048 Posts
Is that P-38 that they recovered a while back from Greenland that crashed on a glacier during WWII?
1-26 Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 1-26 Flyer
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:55 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
Yes it is. Exhibit and a film at the museum shows recovery process.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:59 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
Some of you may recall these pictures from a couple of years ago of the P-38J prototype. As with all LEG kits all the bits and pieces were supplied except for glue, covering, etc. So, this should continue to be an interesting build and hopefully within a few months we’ll have a 60” P-38 in the air.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=p+38
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:00 AM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,417 Posts
Boy, wouldn't you like to take that thing for a little flight around the patch? Image what it feel like to nail both throttles.....
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:10 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
Wing construction is straight forward in the LEG manner. You are provided with 6 pieces for spar construction. I would recommend marking them for easy identification later. Make sure the shorter spar piece is glued to the top of the longer one so both sides are of equal length. Once the three spar pieces are glued together mark the wing core and using a long bladed knife remove foam to create the channels into which the spar can easily slide.

This will all be very familiar to those who have built LEG planes before. I would also recommend the DVD set on building these planes.

How you glue the spar into the core is up to you. Hot glue, Goop, polyurethane glue, etc.; it’s up to you. I’m not fast enough for hot glue so I use Goop. Any EPP not glued to the spar is attached later with hot glue. Do not force the spar into the slot for this could deform the airfoil. I did this on my first Skyraider wing – too much force and weight was used to hold the spar in the core. (I mistakenly suggested to Jack that perhaps he did not cut the airfoil section correctly on the fuselage. He suggested I check the wing and then sent me a new one - gratis.)
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:18 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
A few more "Glacier Girl" pictures.
Jan
Old Jan 05, 2010, 11:19 AM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,041 Posts
FILLETS, what about the FILLETS???
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:01 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
FILLETS? FILLETS ???? We ain't doin' no stinkin fillets! We be doin' BOOMS !
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:32 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
To complete the wing panels I like to attach the pine and balsa sub trailing edges with Weldwood contact cement. Steve (surfimp) posted this idea some years ago and I have been using it ever since with no failures - fast and easy.
Trailing edges are then attached in the normal manner.
When attaching the trailing edges you can go one of two ways here - with or without Flaps. The flaps are not essential but will look nice and the kit came with the hardware to install them. Measurements for flaps are in the picture. In all cases, flaps or none, the boom centerline is 9 1/4" from the wing centerline.
I was back and forth on flap installation because of the complexity and space for installing all the servos in the booms/pods. This caused me to shelve the build a number of times until I finally figured out the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) way of doing the installation. More later.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:51 PM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
sweet, I like it.
chris s is offline Find More Posts by chris s
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:57 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,426 Posts
Yeah - What about the 20 fillets? Huh Huh..... Do it!
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:29 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,040 Posts
I'll be checking on this build everyday! Nice pics! I foolishly loaned a book about the lost squadron, and never got it back. Way to go on this kit Jack!
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Jan 07, 2010, 08:13 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
777 Posts
Fillets - Here I thought Jack was kidding but when Carlski also mentioned fillets I took a second look at photos and drawings of the P-38. There are "stinkin" fillets all over the place. So, I've made them out of EPP, balsa and even tried Goop in the past. But, if I go down this road I need an easy and flexible fillet way of doing them. Found this material. Has anyone tried this on EPP models before? Any other easy way of doing these fillets? Thanks for any help. Jan

Fourmost Fillet material which can be painted or covered:

This item has been designed for those wanting a fast fillet for
their aircraft without spending hours creating them the old fashioned way.

Features: White flexible nylon composite. Channeled to make a smooth
aerodynamic transition from fuselage to wing. (90 degrees)

Includes: Fillet material and installation instructions.

Specs: Length of fillet material - 4 feet
Width or Height (both equal)- 1/2"

Comments: Apply with a heat gun for smoothing and forming, and use thick
or thin CA for attachment.