Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Discussion
***TITAN 58" EPP, Finless, Combat Wing***

***TITAN 58" EPP Finless, Combat Wing***

The 58" Titan is the 36" Assassin's big brother. Both fly with or without fins (or rudders) The Titan and the Assassin are both built to be combat planes but they fly quite different. The Assassin flies like a sports car and the Titan is for the flyers who want a bigger, graceful, more gentle plane. It has a gentle, stable roll. It is a kicked back lazy days plane that will do gentle aerobatics.

It didn't take long however for flyers to upgrade to the bigger 35-30 Turnigy motor on the plane and make it so it will go straight up with authority. Either way it is a great plane for combat or fun flying that will put a smile on your face.

I like the look of the high aspect ratio of the long narrow wing so I designed the Titan after other slope soarers I have designed but using a thicker airfoil and with a motor. The narrow wing has some advantages. It decreases the weight and at the same time increases the performance of the wing. If you look at the full scale gliders you will also see long narrow wings. There is a reason for this. It has more lift and less drag for the same weight.

The Titan 58" is available at: http://www.crashtesthobby.com

The Titan is a great looker and even a better flyer.

Titan with high roll rate (3 min 9 sec)

Titan by Crashtesthobby flying finless (4 min 19 sec)

This is a Titan flying with fins.

Ninja Zach's Titan with fins (3 min 8 sec)

15 year old Krista flies her Titan with fins in combat with us.

Krista's Titan (3 min 40 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jul 02, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:14 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
These are the Assassin/Titan building videos.
We have so many questions on how to build the flying wings that we decided to let you watch as we build a plane. The Assassin you see was build in less than 4 hours even with all of the video being shot. We used 3 mil laminate on this video to show you what it is. Using laminate is similar to using Ultracoat.

The Titan is built the same way as the Assassin The Titan has more spars.

The video shows wrapping a single piece of laminate to cover each wing half. I am using 2 pieces of laminate to cover each half of the longer wing overlapping 2" around the leading edge both for ease of assembly and also for strength. The elevons may feel a little floppy until they are attached to the wing.

We recommend you add the reinforced or bidirectional reinforced tape with a strip on the leading edge and one on the top and one on the bottom of the wing to prevent flutter.

As we were editing the video we found it to be as exciting as watching jello set. We got the idea to speed it up to make it a little more entertaining. To our surprise the video also makes more sense when it is at a higher speed. What you are seeing is a 40 minute video in 12 minutes. Remember you have a pause button if you feel like you are getting behind and can't read the sub titles and watch the movie at the same time. The X next to the word Vimeo at the bottom of the video screen will change it to a full screen video. ENJOY!!!!

Assassin building instructions #1/3 - 9-09 (5 min 2 sec)

Assassin build 1.5 Tape 3-10 (4 min 8 sec)

Assassin build 1.5 hinge and radio 3-10 (6 min 59 sec)

Assassin bulding instructions #2/3 - 9-09 (4 min 23 sec)

Assassin building instructions #3/3 9-09 (2 min 46 sec)

How to preflight a RC flying wing 12-09 (4 min 22 sec)

Preflight of a flying wing #2 12-09 (4 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Dec 03, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
WE ARE INCLUDING LAMINATE IN THE KITS!!!

Laminate is a clear iron on plastic that has an adhesive applied that will stick to EPP foam when heat is applied without a spray adhesive. This saves weight and time and money. It provides UV and moisture protection to the Extreme Bidirectional Tape. The 3 mil laminate seems to be a little stronger and it is easier to apply than Ultracoat because it it doesn't shrink as much when you iron it.

I have been asked how to cover a wing with laminate. I took pictures but when I went back to look at them the laminate is invisible and the pictures are hard to explain. Here are some pictures of covering one of our designs with Ultracoat on a plane called the Pinata. Laminate is easier to use than Ultracoat. I covered an entire Titan including elevons in less than one hour.

Cut the laminate into 4 pieces to cover one wing halve at a time. Make sure you cut 2 rights and 2 lefts.
Leave enough to wrap the leading edge by at least 2". A double layer on the leading edge adds strength and durability.
Do the bottom first.
Lay the laminate in position and put a single stroke with the iron down the middle of the wing.
Work to the edges in smooth strokes and avoid getting any wrinkles. Repeat X3 on the other panels.
Last edited by Lee; Dec 03, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Motor and Electroncs
Last edited by Lee; Oct 06, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Motor modification.

There is a false rumor that the bearings get damaged with this modification. The bearings are not attached to the shaft but only guide it. This can be proven by removing the E-clip on the back of the motor and pulling the bell and shaft out of the bearings. Look at the pictures below.

Our new motor mount will fit either of the motors without modification.

We are getting requests for information on motors that have more power. Here are two different motors we have used. The first is a more durable and slightly more powerful motor. The second will make the Titan go ballistic and pull close to 30A.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=3885#

The shaft comes out the back of the motor and I want to bring it out the front with a prop saver for quick change. On a puller prop the O ring may not be strong enough to hold but on a pusher it works well.

I removed the e-clip from the back and moved it to the grove at the end of the shaft. You can see this grove in the picture of the motor from HK.

I then loosened the set screw with an Allen wrench on the top of the bell as shown in the picture below and gently, with many small taps, tapped the shaft clear through and out the bell till the e-clip touched the bearing.

One of the flyers has used the drill press to push the shaft through the bell rather than tapping with a hammer. We also were brainstorming that you could also use a C-Clamp or vice to push it through the bell of the motor to the right depth but you will need to drill a hole in a piece of wood for the shaft to be pushed into.

I then tightened the set screw and slightly enlarged the holes in the stainless steel motor mount, and used 3mm screws to screw the motor to the base. The new motor mount that we use has a slot so that it doesn't have to be modified.

I left the motor mount and prop assembly that comes with the motor off the motor.

If you use the bigger motor you will need a a higher rated speed control and a battery capable of providing more amps.

LATE NOTE:

The popularity of supercharging the Titan with the bigger motor to get unlimited vertical performance has caused us to redesign the spar system to handle the thrust and G-force.

Last edited by Lee; Oct 30, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:23 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Scrap Book
Last edited by Lee; Mar 19, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:33 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
We have a winner.

I just got back from flying the Titan with the new A frame type spar pattern.

The first plane tested has the carbon spars with a dowel on the top center that could follow the contour of the airfoil on the top of the wing. The carbon does not bend and cannot be shaped.

The pattern is repeated below on the bottom of the wing with all carbon as can be seen in the pictures. The wood dowel plane is ready for radio but not quite finished.

The total weight of the plane is about 28 oz with battery and big motor ready to fly.
Last edited by Lee; Dec 03, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Reserved #9
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem