SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2014, 04:58 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
I had no problem hand launching my Aqua Cat that was equipped with a 2212/06, 6x4 prop, 1800mah 3s battery combo.
I've done many hand launches of Polaris #1 with the 2212/06 2200kV on a 6X4 prop, but need to keep input out of it until I gain some speed which seems to take a while. the plane is close to 20 oz. I'm just thinking a lower kV motor will give it a little more "grunt" on the launch? If It isn't to my liking I can change it? I usually fly a 1800-2000 mAh 3s battery in the Polaris too.
NewZee is online now Find More Posts by NewZee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 07:59 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Let us know how you make out, and good luck.

Another reason I wanted to try a lower kV motor and bigger prop is that I don't fly my Polari off water, I don't have the luxury of a long smooth take off, I find myself more often hand launching . I feel more torque and bigger prop will help get her going quicker? Of course I'll need to verify this on the initial flights?
Here is another way to make hand launches easier and less hazardous. Install a Guardian. At the time of the video this plane had a stock 2212 2200kv motor and a 7x5 prop. I discovered later that the prop was causing some overheating in the 36A CC Thunderbird speed control and went back to a 6x4. Probably a 7x4 with a 40A switching bec would be a good hand launch combination.

Experimenting with a Guardian in a Polaris 2 (4 min 5 sec)
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 26, 2014, 09:37 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Here is another way to make hand launches easier and less hazardous. Install a Guardian. At the time of the video this plane had a stock 2212 2200kv motor and a 7x5 prop. I discovered later that the prop was causing some overheating in the 36A CC Thunderbird speed control and went back to a 6x4. Probably a 7x4 with a 40A switching bec would be a good hand launch combination.

http://youtu.be/fAFSk39Ysbo
Thanks! I've seen few "Examples" of the Eagle tree Guardian and can't help but be impressed by the technology! I've used 3 axis stabilization (not the same thing) in my bigger (more expensive) planes They are good on windy days, but won't maintain orientation (in other words they would let you fly straight and level right into the ground!).

I have a 45A "Trust" ESC with a huge heat sink so I'm sure I'll be able to handle the 7X5X3 prop, My only real question is how fast the top speed will be with the 1250kV motor? once the plane is up and flying I may find I'll need to use more than the usual 1/2 throttle that I used with the 2200 kV
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
55 Posts
Ok,

ive been out for testflight and Im super happy with that setup.
It has a lot of power is flying faster than I expected. Flighttime of about 9 min having temperature of -4C and on top it is superquiet.

One of the best mods Ive ever made :P

Video will come after rendering and uploading
van3st is online now Find More Posts by van3st
Last edited by van3st; Yesterday at 11:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van3st View Post
Ok,

ive been out for testflight and Im super happy with that setup.
It has a lot of power is flying faster than I expected. Flighttime of about 9 min having temperature of -4C and on top it is superquiet.

One of the best mods Ive ever made :P

Video will come after rendering and uploading
Good to know, please confirm exactly what set up you are currently discussing, and the weight of the plane? I think I'll be using something very close! and please don't forget the video when you can!
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
55 Posts
Well vid will take its time cause the export is slowing the speed, finding out why atm.

Setup :
NTM Propdrive 2836 / 1200kv / 40A Hobbywing Controller / APC 8x6 / 2200ma 3S
Flightweight 805 g (it is heavy cause i repaired it a lot xD)
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Well vid will take its time cause the export is slowing the speed, finding out why atm.

Setup :
NTM Propdrive 2836 / 1200kv / 40A Hobbywing Controller / APC 8x6 / 2200ma 3S
Flightweight 805 g (it is heavy cause i repaired it a lot xD)
Thanks Van! my new bird will use a Suppo 1250 kv, 2833, with a 45 Amp Turnigy "Trust" ESC and a 7X5X3 MAS prop (Also will try a 7X5 APC prop). The weight of my plane is 20 oz (570g) (without battery), will likely use a 1800 or 2000 mAh .

I have a lot more confidence throwing her "Skyward" now
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
55 Posts
;NewZee,

why dont throw skyward
just like a dart-arrow smoth forward and slightly up ^^.

btw. why do you handlunch it?
rog is possible nearly on every ground
So if it goes up it goes up if not it cant go down ^^
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,175 Posts
I got the crashed Ultra back together and it actually flies quite well considering the extent of the damage. There is something funny that it's doing which I can't quite describe and have never seen before. It looks like it's sort of rocking the wings and wiggling it's bum at the same time. Other than that, it flies well and scoots across the snow like it was made for it.

I managed to get the fuselage pretty straight and the stabilizer parallel to the wings. There is a little less stab incidence than there should be, which requires some up-elevator trim to fly hands free. The only thing that's obviously crooked is the nacelle, which is pointing to the left of the nose. Could that be causing the strange wiggling flight? Should I attempt to straighten it somehow, or just use shims to alter the thrust angle of the motor?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
;NewZee,

why dont throw skyward
just like a dart-arrow smoth forward and slightly up ^^.

btw. why do you handlunch it?
rog is possible nearly on every ground
So if it goes up it goes up if not it cant go down ^^
I sometimes do takeoffs from the ground, but lately have been doing hand launches. I think the plane has less "abuse" with the hand launch, If the new power set up works as good as yours maybe I'll do more ground takeoffs?
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
55 Posts
Finally i managed to get the Video done.
It is the start, some flybys and the landing for lazy people

PolarisMod1200Kv (2 min 46 sec)
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I got the crashed Ultra back together and it actually flies quite well considering the extent of the damage. There is something funny that it's doing which I can't quite describe and have never seen before. It looks like it's sort of rocking the wings and wiggling it's bum at the same time. Other than that, it flies well and scoots across the snow like it was made for it.

I managed to get the fuselage pretty straight and the stabilizer parallel to the wings. There is a little less stab incidence than there should be, which requires some up-elevator trim to fly hands free. The only thing that's obviously crooked is the nacelle, which is pointing to the left of the nose. Could that be causing the strange wiggling flight? Should I attempt to straighten it somehow, or just use shims to alter the thrust angle of the motor?
My Polaris #1 would always "rock" the wings a little even at straight level flight! never really bothered me too much, and didn't seem to affect the flights too much? not sure what would cause it, never got better (or worse) after many crashes and repairs? on slow passes at "high alpha" the rock would become an exaggerated "waddle"!
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
55 Posts
The high alpha shaking is typical for the polaris
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
318 Posts
Quote:
Finally i managed to get the Video done.
It is the start, some flybys and the landing for lazy people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTKZh...ature=youtu.be
Vanny,
Nice Video, thanks for posting! you really demonstrated that the 1200kv and 8X6 prop does just fine in the Polaris, nice take off, and landing too!

hope my Polaris#2 flies as good?