HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:07 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Pike Superior - assembly & fly thread

Hi all,

I had to delay this thread for a while because i was on holiday for a while (1 month) and my model was collected during that time.

Let me start with a story to tell your grand children around the cheminea by a cold winter evening.

I was supposed to have my model collected at Hollandglide 2004 mid-august. However, the F3J World Champs took place in Canada the previous WE and Samba had their models lost by the airline on their way back, meaning they would not have any model to fly for Hollandglide 2004.

Hence they did not go to Hollandglide and were not able to deliver my model there, leaving myself and a few fellow UK fliers with no model to be collected at Hollandglide 2004.To cut a long story short, we had to find a way to collect our models and i was maybe the luckiest of all because i was leaving to Slovakia shortly after this happened.

I was then able to collect my model from a third party who kindly collected the model from Samba so that i do not have to travel as much to get it.

There you go, this is the whole story.

Samba kindly packed my model into a box, which must be the strongest box i have ever seen. Here it is when i received it. I cheated a bit because i took the picture after i unpacked my model to inspect the contents then repacked it ready for flying back to the UK.
guillaume83 is offline Find More Posts by guillaume83
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:11 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Inside this big box is another box which contains the model. But the smaller box is surrounded by polystyren + wooden boards on each side. Therefore i think the carrier or courrier who will break this parcel in transit is not born yet.

Inside the smaller box, everything is wrapped in individual bubble wrap and protected with newspapers. I said it, this is one strong and heavy parcel.

After i collected the model, i flew back to UK for a short 1 day- stay before i make my way home to South France for a bit of sunshine.

But the box stayed there waiting for my return, and here i am posting this thread about the Pike Superior.

This is a Carbon Jojo version, meaning it is in fact a F3J full carbon- version with carbon reinforcement in the leading edges and ailerons and 2 ballast tubes in the fuse (glider version obviously). More details on Jo Grini website.

Here is a picture of the accessories provided with the model.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:14 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
I should have mentioned this thread is mainly about the electric version of the Pike Superior even though i also have the glider fuse.

Here, you can see the nose of the glider, which measures about 42mm.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:16 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
The size of the opening is exactly the same as the glider fuse.
Here is the proof of the pudding.

The glider fuse comes with the servo tray already installed and the Volz Micro Maxx i have for it are a PERFECT fit,i only need to drill the screw holes.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:19 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
This colour scheme stands out and was chosen by myself after i saw a similar model pictured by Jo Grini on Samba pages.The underside has carbon stripes (not black paint)

I have 2 fuses for 1 wing. A glider fuse with 2 ballast tubes built-in and an e-fuse fitted with Graupner C261/DS368 in the tail.
The pictures also show the rudder for the glider and the e-fuse: there is a very small difference indeed.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:21 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
The all moving elevator is very well made and there is hardly any slope when the joiners are fitted!!!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:26 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
The e-fuse is fitted with a kind of plate of its right side on the picture to rigidify the fuse (that's my guess anyway).
The fuse will only accept a maximum of 10 cells CP1700 (size wise),the TP Gen2 3s3p 6000mAh does not fit (too long),whic is a shame but i am planning to try 2 packs of TP Gen2 3s 2100 mAh.

The hole made at the rear of the fuse is for the receiver access.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:28 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
The centre section is beautifully made but not perfect.
Here is the topside.
I like the fact that you only need to screw the provided horns in their thread,everything is done for you.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:30 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Here,you can see what i mean by "not perfect".
there are some white dots at the LE pretty much on the whole wing.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:35 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Finally for today, here are the Volz servos i am going to fit in the wing (Micro Maxx XP) with their frames and screws. I am using 2 Volz Micro Maxx in the glider fuse.
Also shown is my power train.Not the most powerful but was taking my previous 3.3m e-glider (2.75Kg AUW) to 200m in 30sec (pulling under 50A).
It is a very light set up and i am hoping to achieve 2.6/2.65 Kg AUW with the e-Pike.
The propeller is RFM 14.5x10 Slim.
Motor is an Electronic Model Elios 25 geared 3.7/1.

I will post the weights of these components later in the week and compared them with those of my X21.

Guillaume
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:02 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Hi, Guill, would you be Tony by any chance, if so is this what you replaced the eraser with!.........Neal
thesnapper is offline Find More Posts by thesnapper
Old Sep 30, 2004, 07:22 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Hi Neal,

no i am not Tony,i am Guillaume
which Tony were you thinking of ?(i take it it must be an F3J competitor).

I weighed the components and here is what i came up with:

I am comparing it my Pike Superior to my X21 (UMS carbon version):

.............................................X21.. .....Pike Superior.......E-Pike Superior

Fuselage................................362gr..... ...374gr..................334gr
elevator with joiners (or vtail).....84gr.........54gr....................54 gr
left wing (or wing tip)...............632gr........268gr............. .....268gr
right wing (or wing tip).............630gr........268gr............... ...268gr
centre section ........................N/A..........710gr..................710gr
wing joiners............................90gr..........5 0gr....................50gr
accessories............................28gr....... ...34gr....................34gr

empty weight........................1826gr.......1758gr. ...............1718gr

What appears from this chart is that both the X21 and the Pike are high-end products and made accurately (i make this comment looking at the comparison between the left wing and right one,which nearly weigh the same).
However,i feel the Pike (in its Carbon Jojo version) is stiffer than the X21,and this is very obvious when one compresses the skin of the model,there is a huge difference there.
The fact that the 3 piece wing with joiners weighs less than the X21's 2 piece wing with joiner is pretty amazing too.
I haven't compared the difference in stiffness between the 2 models assembled yet.

Also,the Pike Superior has a cross tail so it is difficult to guess the AUW of the glider (it migt need more balancing lead in the glider fuse if the cross tail is a bit heavy) but i am very confident it will be much lighter than my X21.

The most amazing i think is that the glider fuse weighs 374gr empty against 334gr for the e-fuse with 2 servos.this is an amazing achievement,especially when one feels the strength of the e-fuse's rear section.

About the white dots on the photos above,here is what Jo Grini was told by Samba:
""I already know what was Guillaume writing about - "dots" the leading edge is sprayed with lacquer and than with black paint to cover the microbaloons and the black colour probably saged."

I am sure everyone understands this will not affect the flying at all but i am trying to give the best and honnest description of the model possible.....and one should know i can be VERY fussy.
Any other colour scheme will not have those dots,the carbon scheme is pretty rare and stands out from the crowd i think.

Guillaume
Last edited by guillaume83; Sep 30, 2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:10 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Nice I am looking forward to this.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 04, 2004, 05:17 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
I took advantage of a sunny spell this WE to get some nicer shots.
here they are
First shot shows the bags provided (at extra cost) by Samba. I like them as they offer extra protection during transport.
Following shots show the comparison between the glider fuse and the electro one....enjoy
Old Oct 04, 2004, 05:18 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Also, here are 2 shots of the model fully assembled before anything is fitted.