SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Just for reference for anyone else that runs into this, got it working. Somehow I managed to get my ESC throttle range messed up. Reset it and all is good.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Last edited by jeff2215; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:02 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
6:04pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
Anyone have a diagram of how to hook a DL to OSD? I read through the posts here and it doesn't make any sense. I hooked it up according to manual and went into configurations and made sure its set to combined ppm and ppm1. My ESC is beeping at me, not happy :-)

Here is how I have it hooked up. All the servos go to their respective outputs on OSD. I have one wire running from CH 9 (PPM Ch) on DL to the PPM1 (Elevator input) on the OSD. What am I missing here?
6:48pm
Quote:
Everything but the throttle is working....
7:21pm
Quote:
Just for reference for anyone else that runs into this, got it working. Somehow I managed to get my ESC throttle range messed up. Reset it and all is good.

LOL ... dude - you're doing well ... I wish 83 minutes was all it took me to figure it out
gitcho is offline Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho View Post
6:04pm

6:48pm

7:21pm

LOL ... dude - you're doing well ... I wish 83 minutes was all it took me to figure it out
Now that's funny. I know I'm a goof. I just spent an hour trying to get my aux/menu switch to work. Turns out I forgot to calibrate it in the ppm menu. So I am not smart just tenacious :-)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Wow, this thread has gone cold, lol

Question. Its been brought up before to use a separate bec as an insurance policy. I added one that is hooked directly to my Dragon Link Rx. Only thing going to my DL Rx is a PPM from the OSD and the BEC to power it. All 4 servos, video input/output, throttle out, power in through current sensor are connected to OSD. My question is this, I added the BEC in case I overload the ESC and it shuts down. I still want control. This setup won't allow for that because the servos are only hooked to the OSD. Should I take power from the DL Rx to the OSD as well as the current sensor input? Confused
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,044 Posts
My latest install is a rebuild of my damaged Eclipse 4m motorglider.
I have still to replace the wings with a 3.5m span for easier logistics.
Upgrading the section to Selig S3026 for slippery performance.
I have rehashed the cockpit layout and will install the Vtx on the wing.
The RVOSD is upgraded to feature the ASI sensor, with a neat little pitot tube from Readymade.
The sensor is mounted remotely on the pan servo and has a filter cct attached via Veroboard.
I also have a 3.1m flying wing on the bench atm, which will hopefully achieve some good long range.
Pix to follow.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Wow, this thread has gone cold, lol

Question. Its been brought up before to use a separate bec as an insurance policy. I added one that is hooked directly to my Dragon Link Rx. Only thing going to my DL Rx is a PPM from the OSD and the BEC to power it. All 4 servos, video input/output, throttle out, power in through current sensor are connected to OSD. My question is this, I added the BEC in case I overload the ESC and it shuts down. I still want control. This setup won't allow for that because the servos are only hooked to the OSD. Should I take power from the DL Rx to the OSD as well as the current sensor input? Confused
The power and for the servos on the RVOSD is just a rail that connects all the +'s together. They do not have power unless you hook a + to it. Then it will power the rail and anything else connected to the rail on the servo outputs will get that + power from it. I probably wouldn't hook up two 5v power sources to it at the same time. However if I did I would probably put a diode on both bec's + lines to isolate one from the other. Then you would have the redundancy you are looking for with minimal risk of having one BEC burn the other one up. If I understand your question correctly.
avropilot is offline Find More Posts by avropilot
Last edited by avropilot; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:02 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avropilot View Post
The power and for the servos on the RVOSD is just a rail that connects all the +'s together. They do not have power unless you hook a + to it. Then it will power the rail and anything else connected to the rail on the servo outputs will get that + power from it. I probably wouldn't hook up two 5v power sources to it at the same time. However if I did I would probably put a diode on both bec's + lines to isolate one from the other. Then you would have the redundancy you are looking for with minimal risk of having one BEC burn the other one up. If I understand your question correctly.
yep, you got me. That's part of my concern is putting two sources of power to the OSD. Not sure what good the bec does then other then power the DL.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
You only need one. If you are powering the rx then there is power going to the servos. If you have a bec on the rx then take red wire out from the throttle.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Can someone please answer this:

Trying to hook up RSSI from DragonLink to RVOSD. The manual states: "If the Rx input type menu item is selected to Combined PPM there is additional options for the RSSI input.
When the RSSI input is selected to PPM1 or PPM1 and PPM2, you have to connect RSSI from receiver 1 to the aileron input
*Packet1: The aileron input can be connected to a specially modified Fr-sky V8R7SP to measure packets received/second.
*PWM1: The aileron input can be connected to a receiver capable of output the RSSI signal encoded on standard servo pulse. Example EZUHF.
*Packet1 and Packet2: Rudder input can be connected to RSSI output from a second modified FR-sky receiver, the OSD will display both RSSI values if the Configure/display menu item is selected to PPM2.
*PWM1 and PWM2: Rudder input can be connected to RSSI output encoded on a servo pulse from a second receiver, the OSD will display both RSSI values if the Configure/display menu item is selected to PPM2."

So if I follow the instructions and hook a servo wire from the dragonlink RSSI out to the RVOSD Aileron Input (with red power wire taken out), choose PPM1 input in the menu under RSSI, I should be able to get an RSSI signal on the display but I don't. I am using PPM Combined as described above. So is the manual wrong? If so, how are you suppose to hook up RSSI?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
It does not work because aileron1 is for digital RSSI input only, You have to plug it to analog RSSI input on RVOSD.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
It does not work because aileron1 is for digital RSSI input only, You have to plug it to analog RSSI input on RVOSD.
And use a resistor as stated in manual? Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
And use a resistor as stated in manual? Thanks
I've used it with and without a resistor. Works both ways but seems more accurate and fluctuates less with the resister. Alex will say use a resistor to protect the OSD from over voltage or something like that.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
I've used it with and without a resistor. Works both ways but seems more accurate and fluctuates less with the resister. Alex will say use a resistor to protect the OSD from over voltage or something like that.
Well I tested without then flipped my tx on and off. RTH didnt activate like it should so there's a reason for using a resistor. And yes I did get the signal strength meter then.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Well I tested without then flipped my tx on and off. RTH didnt activate like it should so there's a reason for using a resistor. And yes I did get the signal strength meter then.
Setting up RSSI has nothing to do with getting RTH working. RTH, once configured properly, will work with or without having RSSI hooked up.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member