HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
If you're getting into electric flight, FIRST, you buy a watt meter. THEN you buy a plane. They're that important.
Yes, going to order one today in fact.

HK is out of stock so I was just about to pull the trigger on this one - as I want to try some Gens Ace batteries out anyway and can add it to the order (plus a lot faster than HK) It sounds to me like it should do what I need, unless some of you have a better recommendation. I was also looking at this one, which seems to be a cheaper version of another one they carry, but it's out of stock at the moment.

Confusing, all these options!
Glenstr is online now Find More Posts by Glenstr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:18 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,380 Posts
The first one looks interesting. Not much specs on the 2 others ? although reading the comments I could easily fly longer, better and faster using them The price looks good to me, my watts up cost a lot more when I bought it.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
Clueless, but trying
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Nov 2001
753 Posts
I've been using the HK-010 Power Analyzer with great results. The Flitetest guys did a nice review of it on their show. For less than $20, with the lipo balancing option, it's been a good buy.

www.flitetest.com
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,969 Posts
I just ordered the watt meter from hobbypartz along with 2 3300mah gens ace batteries and another lipo carrying/storage bag (I'm getting quite a battery collection going!)

I think I'll order the HK-010 Power Analyzer with my next HK order as well -

I keep thinking about Carguy's motto - "I tell her RC is cheap" ! In fact I am tempted to make a time-lapse video, starting off with my HZ RTF Super Cub by itself then slowly adding each item I have bought since then.. I was thinking about when I was going through my newly acquired plastic cabinet and realizing just how much "stuff" I have amassed over the past year
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:25 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,380 Posts
Quote:
I keep thinking about Carguy's motto - "I tell her RC is cheap" ! In fact I am tempted to make a time-lapse video, starting off with my HZ RTF Super Cub by itself then slowly adding each item I have bought since then.. I was thinking about when I was going through my newly acquired plastic cabinet and realizing just how much "stuff" I have amassed over the past year
I began FPV 7 months ago and so far I bought:

- haier tv
- goggles
- 2 video receivers and 3 transmitters (one lost)
- 4 cameras (1 dead, 1 lost)
- 1 vee antenna (lost, replaced no charged by some very kind guy)
- 2 aiptek recorders (1 dead bougth used)
- 1 AXN foam plane (lost)
- 2 stryker fuselages
- 3 motors
- 2 esc's
- 1 tricopter frame
- 1 aluminum case
- Eagle eyes
- patch antenna
- omni antenna 3dbi
- 2 VTx batteries (one lost)
- #11 keychain with multiples SD cards
- miscellaneous connectors, wires, servo gadgets, ferrite rings
- 2 full rolls of painters tape

And I was suppose to go easy in this...
Man I am happy we don't have a joint account
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,380 Posts
Art, what controller are you going to use to program your quad's HK card ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,980 Posts
Nice videos RCM, Skywalker sure looks like it flys well.

All this talk of amp meters has me thinking I need to get one of the quad's motors running and see what kind of watts it's pulling. I bought 10 inch props, I'm expecting maybe 15-20 amps on 3S, FWIW.

Carguy, I ordered this AVR programmer. (good or bad I don't know);
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,380 Posts
Quote:
Carguy, I ordered this AVR programmer. (good or bad I don't know);
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Nice low price. Building my order at HK, controller is BO. Been told to use 150 to 200 watts motors. Just can see what to order. Should I run big SF props with lower KV or higher KV (like 2000) and smaller APC style props ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:38 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Nice low price. Building my order at HK, controller is BO. Been told to use 150 to 200 watts motors. Just can see what to order. Should I run big SF props with lower KV or higher KV (like 2000) and smaller APC style props ?
my motors are 275 watt 910 kV, I bought 10x4.5 SF props, I expect about 7500 rpm, think I can probably do 4S if I want to, or maybe 11-12 inch props. Of course... this is all speculation...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
my motors are 275 watt 910 kV, I bought 10x4.5 SF props, I expect about 7500 rpm, think I can probably do 4S if I want to, or maybe 11-12 inch props. Of course... this is all speculation...
After a bit more reading, looks like you're going to have plenty of power. On the bluesky rc tricopter tread, they use around 150 watts motors with very good results, even carrying FPV gear.

When are you going to program your board and fly the quad ? Unfortunately for me, lots of BO Oitems at hK, including the board , esc's and motors On a happier note, I have a dragon OSD pre ordered at NGHobbies, should arrive around mid august.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:31 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,980 Posts
Like usual, I read a bunch then take my best shot at it at what I feel should work well. I like to see for myself and learn as I go. I was looking through my stuff and found I have 3 CC Px-25 ESC's and 2 890 kV 220 watt motors... if i can find another motor, i'll build a tri as well. I was surprised how small the HK frame is, probably 100 watt motors would be plenty. I plan to try the HK kk board stock, then I'll put the newest version firmware and try that. also you need to get some male to male servo leads to go from receiver to kk board.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:09 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Like usual, I read a bunch then take my best shot at it at what I feel should work well. I like to see for myself and learn as I go. I was looking through my stuff and found I have 3 CC Px-25 ESC's and 2 890 kV 220 watt motors... if i can find another motor, i'll build a tri as well. I was surprised how small the HK frame is, probably 100 watt motors would be plenty. I plan to try the HK kk board stock, then I'll put the newest version firmware and try that. also you need to get some male to male servo leads to go from receiver to kk board.
Phoenix ESC's may not be the best choice for use with a quad controller. You have them, so no harm in trying, but I just wanted you to be aware that there may be problems.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=97
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:42 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Sunday's plane search

Saturay's plane search video. You might have to "Pause" the video in places in order to see what I saw.

John's search July 22.wmv (3 min 3 sec)
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Jul 25, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:54 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Phoenix ESC's may not be the best choice for use with a quad controller. You have them, so no harm in trying, but I just wanted you to be aware that there may be problems.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=97
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like CC is working on new firmware, I bet their faces are red...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:51 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,969 Posts
Well, had what was by far my best FPV flight tonight, back at the trout pond location, just the faintest whisper of a breeze, and I thought I'd try the Zi8 in place of the gopro since I am flying with my RMRC 540 now, and my gopro has both lens covers scratched. Mounted the kodak solid against the fuse this time with some soft foam backing, aimed it so it was just missing the prop, pressed start recording and took off.

Despite what seemed to be a breeze at ground level, once up over 100' she flew like one of the many pelicans I see gliding in front of my house, rock solid and smooth as silk. I took it out further than I ever have, about 2400+' by my google map estimate and did several lazy big circles around the marshland and freshly raked hay field. There was a couple of older gentlemen fishing in the trout pond so I did several very slow passes about 30' above them - I could tell they were amazed at how slow I was passing over them, throttled down when I have this plane trimmed nicely it's barely faster than a brisk walk. Took it way back up to 500'+ altitude or so and did a couple of more lazy passes, marveling at the view I was going to get because the fpv cam should be fairly close to the Zi8 FOV I'm thinking. The sun had just come out the bottom of a dark band of storm clouds about 20 miles away on its way to the horizon and one could see there was heavy rain falling on either side of the big orange ball, with the occasional lightning flash off to the side.

Circled down and did another low flyover of the pond, following the walking path and circled around to bring it in to where I was. I was watching the screen when I noticed it had dipped and was getting too close to the fence. I was coming in dead stick and with this bird that is fine if you are coming in nice and straight, which I wasn't. I gave it a hard shot of throttle to get some air over the control surfaces and it went straight up, then hammerheaded straight into the chain link fence. The sound of breaking foam was quite loud at that time of night, I must say..

Anyway, walked over the fuse was broken in half, kodak had come right out of its mount and battery cover and battery were laying on the ground. I crossed my fingers that there was a video file on there, put the battery back in and nothing, nada, zippo, So I don't even have a nice video file to make up for the crash. Running Zero Assumption recovery as I write this, but I don't have much hope.

Chalk another one up to inexperience I guess. On the plus side, now that I have gotten over the initial anger/frustration over losing what I was thinking was going to be the best video I have taken to date - I am now just thinking about how enjoyable the flight was..

ps. thought the fuse was a goner this time, but once I pulled all the gear off I managed to GG it back together, almost as much GG on it now as there is foam.
Last edited by Glenstr; Jul 26, 2011 at 09:10 AM.