HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2010, 01:51 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Latest TriCopter Design Overview

I have had a couple ask for info on my latest TriCopter design so I did a short video of the parts/build. Here is a recent video playing around at the park. It was pretty windy but It handled as if it was dead calm.

TriCopter Overview (4 min 2 sec)

Latest TriCopter (3 min 53 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
320 Posts
It looks really good. What's the AUW?
altronpower is offline Find More Posts by altronpower
Old May 10, 2010, 06:43 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Thanks. 1285gr no batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 06:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Hey Techspy, I am not feeling so bad now, add a battery and we are in the same neighborhood when it comes to AUW. Actually, I have not flown a tricopter under 1100grams but I have watched many videos. I believe the added weight (especially on the arms) makes for a better aerial platform for videos but 3D or sport flying is totally out of the question with my tricopter.

Thanks for sharing.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old May 10, 2010, 07:12 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
After messing around with a Y-UFO, I decided to build my own from scratch and I wasn't worried about the weight. I wanted it to be tough and stable. There are definitely some cool small ones out there that can do loops, rolls etc, but that isn't what I was shooting for with this one. I have seen some really nice tricopters out there but I don't know that I have seen any as stable (or at least more stable) than this one in the wind. It is really fun flying FPV with this thing.

By the way, I am thinking of putting my unused FlyMentor and altitude hold module on this one to see how stable I can get it. I will update if I do.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I would fight for an altitude holding module. That is the only thing that is missing from my present configuration. May I ask what module are you using?

Thank you.

BTW, I also have my ESCs in the Prop-wash, Just seems to operate better over the entire fight time.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Yeah having the esc's in the prop wash is a good idea. I considered putting them inside but wanted the cooling. It would look better though.

I was fortunate to get one of these as a beta tester. They still haven't been released yet.

http://www.leteckafotografie.com/althold/althold.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150306

Check out the thread. There is a demo of an ultrasonic sensor in there. It only works at low altitude I think (like a max of a couple meters I think), but looks cool.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Oh, I have seen the Alt hold videos, Nice, very nice.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
FTW, the Flymentor will hold Altitude upto 10 feet but not on a tricopter. At least, I have not found a way to do it. Reason is, on a Tricopter, we are using Pitch to control throttle and the flymentor use pitch to make altitude adjustments. The motor/ESC needs to be running in governor mode for the FM to hold altitude.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:51 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Hmm, not sure what the difference is. As far as I remember the throttle doesn't even go through the FM. I am using pitch, elevator and aileron in CCPM 120 on my tricopter and mixing in the TX. If you use the FM, you would be using the same, pitch, elevator and aileron but instead, mixed the in FM and not in the TX. Am I missing something?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
What I meant is, Collective Pitch and we are using Fixed Pitch.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:31 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2008
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
What I meant is, Collective Pitch and we are using Fixed Pitch.
As far as the radio gear is concerned, we are flying collective pitch. Our 3 motors take the same commands as the 3 servos for a heli's swashplate. The only difference is we don't need an additional channel to control throttle.

To increase pitch on a CCPM heli, means to move all 3 servos together, there isn't just one pitch servo (even though they call it that, it doesn't work alone to make a collective pitch change). If that was the case it would be mCCPM not eCCPM and everything would be set up completely differently, mechanically and electronically (and this wouldn't work for a tricopter).
Jaguar_5 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar_5
Old May 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Well, the bottom-line here is, I have not been able to find a way to make the FM to hold-altitude. It uses Collective Pitch for that.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
I don't think it matters to the FM whether it is controlling collective pitch or speed/throttle. The fact is that the FM gives a signal to gain altitude, and a signal to reduce altitude. It doesn't know, or care how the altitude is gained or reduced.

To be more specific, the FM would send a "gain altitude" signal to all 3 servos on a 120 ccpm heli which would cause the swash to raise up equally on all sides and increase the collective pitch and cause the heli to gain altitude. On a tricopter, the FM would send a signal to all 3 servos to gain altitude, but in this case it would be sending the signals to 3 esc's. which would increase the throttle equally on all 3 esc's, which would make the tricopter climb the same as adding collective in a heli.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Well, there maybe a way but I have not found a way to make the tricopter do what the helicopter is doing in this video. I am able to make the tricopter hold position but not altitude.

KDS Flymentor 3D RC Helicopter Stabilization System Test Flight (5 min 7 sec)