HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 12:41 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Off Subject, but who doesn't want to see a mid-air?

It has not been a good month for my fleet.

I am the P-51 Mustang that nails the Extra 260.

3 mid-airs in 3 1/2 weeks, not to mention I lawn darted my stryker the other day.

Extra 260 480 and P-51d mid air crash (1 min 27 sec)
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2010, 03:29 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
i've got one of those videos! At a contest we'll have many many mid-airs in a day on some occasions. The most I can recall in ONE FLIGHT was 5, and the plane landed and flew again. These things are built tough. This one, at the end of the video, is slightly more impactful then usual. The wing was a complete wash. But we can crank one out in just a few hours, so its not too much time lost

Melee Combat Video (1 min 19 sec)
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Feb 01, 2010, 05:19 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
man lol great vids guys...cracked me up
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Old Feb 01, 2010, 05:25 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
murdnunoc,

Limiting your throttle electronically is a not a good thing.

I was going to link an article for you from Castle web site. After years of that article being there, they have removed it. I made a request to put it back up. It might happen in next day or two.
It'll be under Media tab; Castle Scribe, first issue, page 4(I think), called Myths.

As you might know, at 3/4 throttle, you are still running full AMPs.
The reason the Wattmeter will show less AMPs than Full AMPs, is because the ESC is switching it on/off and the meter averages it and due to fraction of the time that it is staying off it will show less than full AMPs while at part throttle.
Your ESC will run cooler and more efficient at full throttle.

The tech just told me that your ESC is good for 187,000 electrical RPM.
He said to find your RPM limit; you should divide that number by your number of poles and then multiply by 2.

187,000 /10 pole X 2 = 37,400 RPM for your particular application....good luck turning a high Pitch APC Pylon prop at that RPM...this new ESC should work fine for you.
Gryphon
The reason I limited the throttle wasn't really for the purpose of power reduction. It was for the purpose of limiting the RPM of the motor, as the timing issue I'm experiencing is purely RPM-related, not an issue of amps.

Reducing the throttle reduces the RPM to a point that my ESC could keep up with. I know I won't be able to use those power figures when I go full throttle.

This was just a stopgap measure to let me fly for the day. I should have been more clear that this is NOT the way to get around pulling too much power through a setup, as that was not my goal in limiting the throttle.

Hopefully that 187,000 electrical RPM is a minimum. I may be sniffing somewhere close to that on 8S. I have a feeling that, as with other Castle specs, it is the minimum, and actual performance exceeds published minimums. The ESC I'm currently running has a published max RPM of 42,000 on 10 pole, and it's not cutting it. But I trust the Castle way more to be able to handle at least what it's published for.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:55 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
i've got one of those videos! At a contest we'll have many many mid-airs in a day on some occasions. The most I can recall in ONE FLIGHT was 5, and the plane landed and flew again. These things are built tough. This one, at the end of the video, is slightly more impactful then usual. The wing was a complete wash. But we can crank one out in just a few hours, so its not too much time lost

http://vimeo.com/8542432
Are those scratch builds? I need to see s close up of those. That looks fun.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Here is a video from an FPV Stryker I made,
Stryker FPV 2 (1 min 22 sec)
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:28 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsullied_Spy View Post
Just give it the beans and then a decent toss and get your hand on the elevator right away. I typically toss mine and go vertical right away to get some altitude. You don't want to fly very low until you get a hang of flying, by flying up around 200 feet you should still be able to see it just fine and have some room to recover from a screw up.
Do you hold it by the end of a wing to toss? I've hand launched some others before but never a rear prop plane so I'm not really sure how to do it without risking too much
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:11 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Do you hold it by the end of a wing to toss? I've hand launched some others before but never a rear prop plane so I'm not really sure how to do it without risking too much
Grab it by the cutouts on the bottom of the Stryker and give it a good toss, like from second base to first base on a stock Stryker, third base to first base on a heavier one.
The biggest key to keeping your hand away from the prop is to follow through when throwing. I allways try to slap my leg on the throw. I usually throw mine with 8 inch props these days and it works just fine. Take your time on each throw and remind yourself that the prop IS trying to get you, and envision yourself following through and slapping your thigh. Works fine every time (unless you are trying to throw a brick of a Stryker....usually over 4 or 5 pounds), then you might benefit from a bungee.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,265 Posts
I throw from the wing , left wing in hand throttle up till it pulls a little and then let go at around 45 degrees , hands on the sticks... BUT.. these guys know a LOT more than me and i have strengthened the rear of the wing with a 4mm carbon tube that streches all the way from one wing tip to the other.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:01 AM
I LIVE FOR THIS!
Fairfax, VA
Joined Feb 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebus1 View Post
If you are using the stock motor that battery should work fine. I would suspect that your ESC is not working properly.
Ya' it was the stock ESC that was causing the problem. I have a Trex spare ESC and installed it on the Stryker. It worked fine on full throttle so I will have to send the stock ESC to parkzone for repair. Btw has any body tried the Trex 430XL motor on a stryker?
gixxernoob is offline Find More Posts by gixxernoob
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:49 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Last edited by Pudknocker71; Feb 03, 2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:12 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Are those scratch builds? I need to see s close up of those. That looks fun.
Those are technically a kit. You get a set of foam cores, fiberglass rods for the wings, a fence post for the fuse, and a set of coro-plast tail feathers. What you choose to do with that stuff is up to you

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...10&id=DSC04586

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...10&id=DSC04585

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...10&id=DSC04416

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...10&id=DSC04419

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...09&id=DSC03658

http://www.rccagallery.com/Gallery/v...09&id=DSC03809
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:28 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Looks like fun, must be serious, I see they all have helmets on.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:36 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
No one has ever been seriously injured flying combat (at least officially). One incident of a engine hitting tarmac and pelting the pilots with shrapnel, but that was many years ago.

In any situation where there is not just a chance, but a likelyhood that two planes will hit near people, precautions should be taken. Although, it won't save you everytime time, just ask my foot

The idea steamed from pylon, where they always...wear protection... One guy was in a cage way back when calling a race and a plane snapped out of a turn and hit the back of the cage, which he was leaned against. To get an idea of what that looked like, look at this video right around the :34 mark. Just that bottle has hair on top Ever since then safety has been VERY important, as it should be

exploding milk jugs from .357 Magnum (1 min 16 sec)

A Q40 plane at 200mph out of a turn has almost double the kenetic energy of a 30-6 bullet, yikes
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:32 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,178 Posts
moparmyway, my Striker with all FPV gear is 33.6oz (954g) Would you consider this being heavy for a Stryker?

Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Grab it by the cutouts on the bottom of the Stryker and give it a good toss, like from second base to first base on a stock Stryker, third base to first base on a heavier one.
The biggest key to keeping your hand away from the prop is to follow through when throwing. I allways try to slap my leg on the throw. I usually throw mine with 8 inch props these days and it works just fine. Take your time on each throw and remind yourself that the prop IS trying to get you, and envision yourself following through and slapping your thigh. Works fine every time (unless you are trying to throw a brick of a Stryker....usually over 4 or 5 pounds), then you might benefit from a bungee.
saucisse is online now Find More Posts by saucisse