HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:21 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
New Product
SMC True Spec Flight Packs

We're releasing some new flight packs soon which you can check out at this link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2149020

We're looking for 2-3 guys who live in the USA who can get allot of flights done in a short time period to evaluate these new packs and monitor how the evolve over many cycles.

I would like to know what type of equipment you have to monitor the performance of your packs and what is your favorite pack that you use currently. If your interested please list what you would use these in.

Thanks,
Danny Sullivan
Danny/SMC is offline Find More Posts by Danny/SMC
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:07 AM
Australia, SA, Modbury Heights
Joined Feb 2012
845 Posts
Feel like sending a few to Australia? I've got a funjet that needs a good 3S for sustained high current draw and a 3D plane that would be good for alternating high/low current draws.

I have facilities to measure internal resistance, and real time voltage, temperature and current draw in flight. Also have holidays booked in a few weeks to go to a fly in and will be looking to get in as many charges and flights as I can, ie my batteries will cop a hammering for a few days. I'm currently using turnigy for my 1300 packs and revolectrix for everything larger.
Socratous is offline Find More Posts by Socratous
Last edited by Socratous; Apr 18, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Sorry but it would be to expensive to ship to Australia.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:16 PM
Flew the prop off it.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,106 Posts
How bout Canada? I've got a big Yak54 and a mini ultrastick that are good testbeds.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
845 Posts
I keep forgetting sending batteries out of the USA is 5x the price of shipping them from any other country
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Canada might be possible but please post what type of equipment you have to test batteries and what batteries you would compare these 2 as this will be the deciding factor as to how I will pick.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:29 AM
Flew the prop off it.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,106 Posts
The two planes I have that can be used to try out the packs you have are:

A yak54, 1300mm size. Motor is equivalent to a Power 32 and normally flies with a 3300mah 4s pack, and prop is typically a Zinger 13x5.

A Mini Ultrastick. Motor is a Park 480 1020kv and normally flies with a 2200mah 3s pack and prop is a Zinger 10x8.

Packs I normally fly with are EP 3300 4 cell, and Zippy 2200mah 3 cell.

If needed, I can do bench tests with a Watt Meter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Thanks but actually I need someone how can get the mAh and IR of the pack/cells as the packs matures so we can see how it holds up over the cycle life in real world use. I have data on cycle life but this is from cycling on testing equipment.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:26 PM
Flew the prop off it.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Thanks but actually I need someone how can get the mAh and IR of the pack/cells as the packs matures so we can see how it holds up over the cycle life in real world use. I have data on cycle life but this is from cycling on testing equipment.
Those kinds of numbers I can obtain with my charger. Not to mention, I can hook it up to the PC and get real-life logging.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
845 Posts
I'd thought you'd have people lining up to try out new packs in return of a review/performance data!

If you re-consider shipping some to Australia (maybe I can help out with freight costs if they aren't too scary?) I tick all the boxes you have stipulated above. Plus I can get real world test data in temperatures ranging from almost 0 to 42 degrees C. At least then you can have an idea on how they hold up during vast temperature fluctuations too.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Those kinds of numbers I can obtain with my charger. Not to mention, I can hook it up to the PC and get real-life logging.
What kind of charger do you have ?

I don't want this to sound bad but since I'm giving these packs away to test I really must make sure the testing will be done properly and on equipment that is known to give good reliable data.

For example the ESR meter gives very accurate IR. The iCharger gives decent IR. For the mAh the iChargers give decent mAh but some others I've tested give poor results. For the mAh it's not as critical as you can always get the mAh when the pack is new then get it after 25 , 50 , 75 and 100 flights.
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
I'd thought you'd have people lining up to try out new packs in return of a review/performance data!

If you re-consider shipping some to Australia (maybe I can help out with freight costs if they aren't too scary?) I tick all the boxes you have stipulated above. Plus I can get real world test data in temperatures ranging from almost 0 to 42 degrees C. At least then you can have an idea on how they hold up during vast temperature fluctuations too.
I think some are skeptical and this is why I want to send out a few packs. My testing equipment reveals that these are great packs but I want real world testing done so I can confirm my testing results.

Give me your postal code and I will see how much it will cost me to ship to Australia.

Can you tell me what packs your currently using ?
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,686 Posts
Who is making your test packs for you?
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,736 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread I would have been interested in a 4S 2600-2800 mAh pack to run in an EF-1 air frame as well as several other airplanes I have which get LOTS of stick time. If you decide to build a batch of these I would be happy to test and provide data captured in flight by a Castle Creations Ice controller. I charge with a CellPro PL6 and 10S and have a good 24V power supply capable of delivering 40A to the chargers.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Apr 2014
227 Posts
Danny,
I am in the Phoenix AZ area and can test those using this charger, which connects to my PC.

http://www.tmenet.com/products/lithi...xtrema-charger

I have numerous airframes to use those packs, including a Thunder Tiger 300 Extra converted to electric and a 6' Telemaster (two-3s2800 in series), Takara (3s1800), PZ Corsair (3s2800), PZ T28 (3s2200), etc.

Also, I will be getting an EagleTree Logger soon.

Currently, I have various old Xcite packs (excellent) and a few recent Hyperion G3's (which have been so-so IMO)
AELLC is online now Find More Posts by AELLC
Last edited by AELLC; Yesterday at 02:17 PM.