HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:29 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
792 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting the videos with the turbine sound. I found these fascinating to watch and listen to. I would like to build a plane with the turbine sound, but am not certain what that will be yet.

I do have a couple of prop-engine-sound projects planned for this year, so I will be in touch soon.

Sincerely,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is online now Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:54 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I just got your email about this as well.

There are 2 outputs on the board. You could do all 6 to one output, or 3 to each. It will handle all 6 on one output, yes. The LEDs you are describing sound perfect. Low volt 2-5v, 10-20ma.

Andrew
Hi Andrew

Further to this, when I ordered my LEDs I bought two types to experiment with. One type is a 30,000 mcd 25 deg angle LED rated at 3.2V @ 20mA, the other type is much brighter (40 lm) with a 55 deg angle and a rating of 3.3V @ 100 mA. If I alter the load resistor to reduce the current on the higher intensity LED to around 25 mA it is still considerably brighter (both directly in-line and from the side) than the 20 mA LED.

My question is, what is the max current of the LED driver on the sound system. I'd like to be able to use 6 of the higher rated wider angle LEDs running at a reduced current of 25-30 mA each (180 mA). If that is too much then I could reduce the number of LEDs to 2 each side or as a last resort incorporate an additional switching circuit driven from the gun output to switch the LED'S at their full rating (don't panic, I have 40 years experience in electronics ).

By the way, I installed the sound system in my 1600mm P51 and tried it out last night. It was so loud on the balcony I had to cover the speaker with my hand to stop the neighbours complaining (and I'm in a house not an apartment). Its hard to believe you can get that much sound from such a small speaker .

Ian
papernkero is offline Find More Posts by papernkero
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papernkero View Post
Hi Andrew

Further to this, when I ordered my LEDs I bought two types to experiment with. One type is a 30,000 mcd 25 deg angle LED rated at 3.2V @ 20mA, the other type is much brighter (40 lm) with a 55 deg angle and a rating of 3.3V @ 100 mA. If I alter the load resistor to reduce the current on the higher intensity LED to around 25 mA it is still considerably brighter (both directly in-line and from the side) than the 20 mA LED.

My question is, what is the max current of the LED driver on the sound system. I'd like to be able to use 6 of the higher rated wider angle LEDs running at a reduced current of 25-30 mA each (180 mA). If that is too much then I could reduce the number of LEDs to 2 each side or as a last resort incorporate an additional switching circuit driven from the gun output to switch the LED'S at their full rating (don't panic, I have 40 years experience in electronics ).

By the way, I installed the sound system in my 1600mm P51 and tried it out last night. It was so loud on the balcony I had to cover the speaker with my hand to stop the neighbours complaining (and I'm in a house not an apartment). Its hard to believe you can get that much sound from such a small speaker .

Ian
Let me double check the output of the LED driver for you. It should be fine, I believe it is well above that, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Are you running a single speaker or 2 speakers on the 1600mm? I recommend 2 for a plane that size. It is pretty amazing how much the system pumps out, isn't it.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2014, 04:47 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
Quote:

Are you running a single speaker or 2 speakers on the 1600mm? I recommend 2 for a plane that size. It is pretty amazing how much the system pumps out, isn't it.

Andrew
I'm currently running a single speaker but I may order several more speakers anyway. I have a J3 Cub Id like to add the system to, but instead of moving the entire system from one model to another I'll just install speakers into several models and move the PCB across. That way the COG doesnt change
Old Feb 04, 2014, 11:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
Quote:
Let me double check the output of the LED driver for you. It should be fine, I believe it is well above that, but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Andrew
Hi Andrew

Any luck on the maximum LED driver current? Id like to have them as bright as I can but don't want to test the limit without your advice.

Thanks.

Ian
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papernkero View Post
Hi Andrew

Any luck on the maximum LED driver current? Id like to have them as bright as I can but don't want to test the limit without your advice.

Thanks.

Ian
Sorry for the late reply. Not yet. I am trying to get in touch with my electrical engineer as I don't seem to have that on my specs page. It should be OK. It is worth a try, you should not burn anything out, worst case, they will just not light.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
A new video, this one is meant to be an advertisement type vid. It is a collage of several customers videos, with info on the system. Enjoy!

MrRCSound V4.1 Aircraft Version Overview (3 min 25 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2014, 03:10 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
790 Posts
Quote:
A new video, this one is meant to be an advertisement type vid. It is a collage of several customers videos, with info on the system. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOm8OvYCG8
This is really good, Andrew!
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Feb 07, 2014, 10:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,765 Posts
Can someone provide the weight of the small round speakers, and are they available now for sale? Also, when using the smaller speakers, does the volume need to be turned down on the board so not to blow them?

I know they are not as load, but for smaller twins, I would like to use two 1.22" speakers instead of one 2" speaker to get the stereo sound.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
Can someone provide the weight of the small round speakers, and are they available now for sale? Also, when using the smaller speakers, does the volume need to be turned down on the board so not to blow them?

I know they are not as load, but for smaller twins, I would like to use two 1.22" speakers instead of one 2" speaker to get the stereo sound.
I can weigh one up for you. It should go full volume on the v4 and 4.1, but to be safe you may want to turn it down a little. Honestly, I prefer the 2" speakers. One 2" is louder than tow 1.22"

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,765 Posts
When will the new TT-25 speakers be available to order?
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
When will the new TT-25 speakers be available to order?
They are up on the page now, and will ship Monday.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,728 Posts
A simple rebuttal.

It has recently come to my attention that a competitor is making accusations against the way that I measure the volume output of the MrRCSound system. This same person has made all kinds of accusations in the past as well, many false and misleading. Simply put, I want to set the record strait on this one. Nothing more, just a simple rebuttal of the claims made against me.

This competitor has accused MrRCSound of using incorrect methods to test volume output, and thereby artificially inflating the db output. While it is true that many of the videos showing db output are conducted on a bench at exactly 1M, this is for ease of setup, and recording of the video. Our claim of 108db output comes from a single MrRCSound proprietary TT-25 mounted in a vice to hold it, with a 3"X4" piece of foam attached. Running the Generic Turbine sound and measured in open air at exactly 1m, not on the bench, the peak output was recorded to be 108db, with a steady db reading of 103db. Power draw for this test measured just 12v, 0.22A and 5W.

MrRCSound has at least a dozen videos on Youtube showing exactly how the output was measured, and the real time db reading. Yet, this accusing competitor, appears to not have one single video demonstrating the volume output of their system. In fact the only video that can be found with any kind of reading of the competitors system was done by a professional videographer, with a reading of 101.8db, over a bench, at what appears to be MUCH less than 1m.

Thank you,
Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:58 PM
Roaring Radial Fanatic
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Claims by modelsounds

It amazes me still to this day that Dave cant be content to sell his product on his own merits but still try to make false claims against a competitor. If his sales are so good why is he the only one throwing barbs at his biggest competitor?
Dont see Thomas Benedini doing that. Theres only 2 things that cause a person to continually go after competition. Either his sales are down or he just cant accept the fact that his competition is doing better than him.

If those 2 reasons are false, then he should have no reason to go after Andrew. So which is it?
corsairnut is offline Find More Posts by corsairnut
Last edited by corsairnut; Apr 01, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 06:43 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Andrew, my dad told me "never argue with an idiot it's hard for the people standing around to tell which one is the idiot ". We all know you're a man of quality.

When he reads your response and defense he smiles because you responded. If you're going to play to win when something! Don't waste your emotional energy swinging your sword or windmills.

Your friend,
DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor