HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2001, 10:25 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
Geebee racer plans

hello,

does anyone have a set of gee bee racer plans that they can give me a link to or send me. I was going to buy the laser cut rubber kit but its $60 thanx
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2001, 02:25 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
What laser cut kit are you referring to?

RCMicroflight has plans for a Profile GeeBee racer but you have to subscribe to the mag to get it. I am going to design a set of plans for a Geared 400 GeeBee R1 and GeeBee model Z. I plan on submitting the plans for inclusion in a print publication but may give a set to a couple people to get design and construction ideas from others...

Jeffrey Park
Orange County Aeronauts
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old Jul 25, 2001, 08:02 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,490 Posts
Don't know if these are the right size - the D is S400, I think the Z is for an IC 60...
http://www.geocities.com/f_lopezlago...planilla7.html

And here's a rubber freeflight MAN plan from the 30's...
http://members.nbci.com/gthunter/prev/12_00/gbd.htm

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jul 25, 2001, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
thanks all- I wass looking for the Z version. thinking of putting a 010 in it at 30 inches span
Old Jul 25, 2001, 05:54 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Hey!

I just had to say that I got to see an actual GeeBee fly today along with a "Mr. Mulligan" here at Oshkosh Wisconsin. They were performing a mock air race together. It was amazing. If at all possible you got to see this thing fly!
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Jul 25, 2001, 07:38 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
hehehe.. ya.. I saw a gee bee racer fly 2 days ago.. glow powered.. flew for about 45 seconds then violenty rolled right continuously into the ground... Good pilot on the sticks too.... I think the realscale ones had a "killer" reputation as well
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 25, 2001, 08:09 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tic:
I think the realscale ones had a "killer" reputation as well

great, that is so enthousiastic I think I'll build one
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:07 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
WOW! A Gee Bee with a mind of it's own!If it flew for 45 seconds did some "Ghost of the past reach out and grab it to confirm the farce of a legend? Read the History of the Granville Brothers to enlighten you to the real story, or watch the "Replica" fly at most large airshows, dispelling any myth.Could an aileron have locked? was the rudder stuck? did a plug come loose? Read this month's RC Modeler to see how a Scale
model Gee Bee fly's.
My two cents.
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Jul 26, 2001, 08:06 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
when the model was recovered.. one aileron was "locked" at full deflection.. That servo will be thrown out.. Still hard to say if that was the cause, perhaps a stall, or perhaps the high roll rate got away from him... I'm not trying to be any sort of expert on the GeeBee, but one can just look at it and tell it's not going to be a very "forgiving" plane to fly...
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 26, 2001, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
TIc- with an 010 in it and at 10 oz weight, it shouldnt fly THAT fast, should it??
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,375 Posts
Folklore aside, it was said that almost any Bearcat pilot from WWII could have flown the Gee Bee racers. You just need to be aware of the need to keep the speed up, nose down and make wide downwind turns. If you ignore the fat body ( which can give some lift) and look at the small wing area, you can guess how it should be flown. During take-off you need to "stab" right rudder anticipating pull to the left, let off, repeat as needed until lift off, use shallow climb angle. Watch Benjamin do a rudder "tap-dance" during take-offs. Landings should be power on, land on mains like a P51 without flaps, cut power and use rudder to keep straight as speed bleeds off.

E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged