HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:56 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
grey depron + hotglue

i know everyone glues their depron together with hotglue but does anyone think the grey depron doesn't stick to hot glue that good? i mean, even a mild crash on a plane, im always having to reglue parts of the plane because the hot glue just seems to peel away from the depron...

i have a ozito 170c-190c hot glue gun and i cant let it heat up to that temp because it burns through the foam...

and i only buy grey depron because its cheaper
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:49 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
353 Posts
http://www.micronwings.com/Products/UHUPor/index.shtml
or try ebay for uhu por, it is a bit pricey but with depron and its vital joints this is what you need, hot glue is quick and easy, but nowhere near as strong as this. Hobbyking used to sell chinese magic glue which i have - very good but not as easy to use as uhu por.
Hot glue works good as fillet glue - fill the gaps (use sparingly) but someone on here might explain how to use hot glue properly to form a strong joint, i have tried and still go back to the contact adhesive style for depron.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Last edited by micka80ella; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:02 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
944 Posts
Yes, UHU Por is the way to go. It remains flexible but strong in joint. The problem with hot-glue is it's too hard, and it does tend to sit on the joint as opposed to penetrate. It's also somewhat heavier especially the amount you need to use. The ideal adhesion point is 'in' the joint, but the moment you deploy the hot-glue it's already cooling to harden off before you can make the joint. It's okay to use like a fillet joint and really the best way I found is to lay a stitch along both sides of the joining part. This is clearly not always possible, so better use UHU-Por, and perhaps change your design to incorporate slot/peg in critical joints.
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:53 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
ah okay thanks for the responses
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron