HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Build Log
Micko's 109 G2

Well, I've finally got all of the stuff together to start my build of D-Rock's 109. I'm going to be building it as a G2 in the scheme of Gunther Rall's "Black 13". The build might move a bit slow since I usually only have time on the weekends to build. I'm a high school social studies teacher in East TN, so I may get a few snow day's here and there to keep of the progress.
Today I punched out the parts and built the stab and elevators. Shout out to Manzano lazer on cutting the parts really nicely, and to D-Rock for such a neat, easy building design.
The materials I am using will be a Rimfire 1.20, Ice 100 esc, Genz Ace 6s lipo, Hitec HS81 servos on the ailerons and flaps, and 485HBs for the rudder and elevators, and E-Flight 85 degree electric retracts for the legs.
I have to experiment with these pictures, getting them from my i phone to my PC laptop in the right size is stumping me a bit. Anyone out there know an easy way to do it?
miltonboy is offline Find More Posts by miltonboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,855 Posts
MB, off to a great start and looking good. Will be following your progress- subscribed

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
Easiest way to get the right size is to change the resolution in your phone before you take the pictures. 640x480 or 800x600 are what I usually use.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Last night I got the parts cut out and organized for the fusalage. The "T" braces are built the plans are laid and the parts organized. Hopefully I'll get to slap some glue to them today. I put my Pat Tritle Tiger Moth on top of the fuse plan for size reference. I built the Tiggie in prep for this model. It's really given me the bug for stick built models. The old addage "bigger flies better" might need to be changed to lower wing loading flies better!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
This is only about 30 minutes worth of work once all of the parts were organized. Unfortunately I came to a stop for the day when I realized I didn't have any 3/8" square bass wood stock on hand. I'll have to pick some up this week along with the 1/16" strips to make the laminations for the rudder and wingtips. Its getting more and more exciting as this one takes shape!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:27 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Subscribed,

Looking good so far!

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:31 AM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
I got a little more progress done last night on the fuse. I'll post pics later this evening. I'm enjoying the build so far.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Here are the pictures of the formers in place. Next, possibly tonight, I'll mount the structure on the T-braces and get it lined up to add the stringers.

BIW. My thoughts on the firewall are to trace F-1 onto a piece of ply and re-cut it to front mount my engine on. I would put F-2 where it is supposed to go, and then build a bass wood truss structure around the motor between the two formers for added strength. In your opinion, would this help give the added strength I need to handle some of the torque and twisting?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltonboy View Post
BIW. My thoughts on the firewall are to trace F-1 onto a piece of ply and re-cut it to front mount my engine on. I would put F-2 where it is supposed to go, and then build a bass wood truss structure around the motor between the two formers for added strength. In your opinion, would this help give the added strength I need to handle some of the torque and twisting?
That sounds like a good plan Miltonboy, I would recommend a double lamination of 3mm ply or some good quality 6.5mm ply for the motor firewall.
I found the ply supplied with my 109 a bit soft thus allowing the motor vibrate too much.

BIW.
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:58 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,855 Posts
MB, that mod for the motor should work well, just keep in mind the distance of the prop adapter back-plate and the location of the back-plate for the spinner. You want to be sure the gap is not too large. Another suggestion, if you are intending to strengthen the tail where the horizontal meets the fuse (as BIW did), you can add lite ply on either side of the rear portion of K-3 and notch them into the rear 2 most formers.

Looking good and neat seeing her shape up.

D-Rock
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
D-Rock and BIW,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to implement both of those ideas. I'm going to use my Father-In-Law's hobby size band saw this weekend and cut some parts for these locations. I'm planning to cover with Sig Koverall which I'm thinking won't be too heavy, but should give a really nice lasting finish for the scheme I've chosen.

Do you guys see any reason that I can't cover the individual parts before I assemble them? I think that the tail planes would be easier covered and then assembled. Of course I would cut away covering from where wood would be glued together. Any thoughts?
Last edited by miltonboy; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:09 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,855 Posts
Covering individually should be fine, I can't recall if I did the same thing . The airframe will allow for multiple different covering materials, Koverall should work well.

D-Rock
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
I was finally able to make more progress on the 109. I made the modifications outlined by D-Rock and BIW, and think they will work out great. Since the job of fabricating pieces and mounting on the T-Braces is finished, I should make quicker progress with the stringers. I really worked hard to make the fuse laser straight on the center thrust line, and pinned the mess out of the thing. At this point I think it is ready to take on a hurricane, no pun intended...... well, maybe a little intended!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:36 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,855 Posts
Nice work on the new firewall and the keel update. Now that you have the T-braces in place the next part moves quickly. When I built the prototype, I spliced stiffer wood with softer wood for the stringers- the stiffer towards the nose. You may need to wet the stiffer side to pull into the shape of the firewall.

D-Rock
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Made a little more progress on the Me 109 this weekend. I worked out the motor installation and got started on the stringers. I added a piece of light ply to the rear of the main firewall to adjust the space between the firewall ring and spinner back-plate. Tonight I plan on building the trusses between the firewall and F-2.