Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:30 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2013
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse H View Post
I have some pictures how i did on my YAk12
http://translate.google.fi/translate...html&sandbox=1
Well done, but it seems a bit unnecessary. I don't see any vices that you are trying to fix. I never had problems with the engine mount, and the springs do help protect it. 1000mah gives plenty of flight time. Mine flies fine with that battery bouncing around anywhere in the compartment, so I've never bothered to velcro it (although I probably should). Adding weight for CG definitely isn't required.

Most of all, it's not a racer and keeping it light helps with the STOL capability.

If your goal is easy wing removal, I suppose the carbon is preferential.
gsking is offline Find More Posts by gsking
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:39 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
55 Posts
Bad luck

I got my Yak fixed & new cowling after first crash. I seem to be having bad luck with this plane now, though.

Went flying today with a friend, a first timer. He first flew on a sim for about an hour. Then he flew FT Flyer (3 channel plane) pretty well for two batteries. He felt that he was confident enough to try Yak so I took it up, trimmed it (after previous, first crash some time ago) and gave controls to him (no buddy box yet).

He flew it for several minutes fine, but finally spiraled down vertically with about half throttle, simple pilot mistake... Motor mount loose and again a broken cowl. Strangely no any other damage. Considering the speed at the moment of crash I feel pretty lucky (in this unlucky event).

The foam behind motor mount was quite mushy after two nose crashes so I decided to do a 1mm plywood firewall and glue motor mount on it. Quick & easy fix overall... Either I'm really lucky with the crash damage or then this is really durable plane. And I've got one intact extra cowling still left!
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:21 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
348 Posts
Gee Late99....you need to buy a few cowls.......it seems to be attracting the ground like a magnet......The Yak seems to be very strong.

I can't wait until it gets better weather here to be able to give mine a go.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:19 PM
France, Brittany
Joined May 2013
29 Posts
I see you have given up with the prop saver late99.
L Austin France is online now Find More Posts by L Austin France
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:13 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
55 Posts
The APC prop used didn't fit well the original prop saver and made strange noises with full power. I guess this could have fixed with stronger o-ring, but I was lazy and put the "heavy weight" prop adapter instead. It puts CG in a good spot without any additional weights.

The Yak is already fixed & ready for more flying (or crashing). I don't know what my friends have against it. Strangely there is no any (visible?) damage on the prop after that nose crash.
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:14 PM
cornwall,near england
Joined Jun 2007
119 Posts
I maidened mine today,all went very wellit likes to fly slowly which is no suprise really,when i opened her up it didnt seem very happy,so just floating around suits her fine.I did have one crash,i have never used flaps before so i was unsure what to expect,well she just leapt into to air,this took me by suprise a bit,then i had a dumb thumb moment and applied full throttle and she looped back and nosed in.The only damage was one of the wheel spats and spring fell offI think due to the fact i only have a basic tx and cant alter the throws its set with a bit much flap,i will put a shorter servo horn on and see how we goAll in all i would thoroughly recommend this as an aileron trainer,it really is a bit of a bargain too.
6months is offline Find More Posts by 6months
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:20 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6months View Post
I maidened mine today,all went very wellit likes to fly slowly which is no suprise really,when i opened her up it didnt seem very happy,so just floating around suits her fine.I did have one crash,i have never used flaps before so i was unsure what to expect,well she just leapt into to air,this took me by suprise a bit,then i had a dumb thumb moment and applied full throttle and she looped back and nosed in.The only damage was one of the wheel spats and spring fell offI think due to the fact i only have a basic tx and cant alter the throws its set with a bit much flap,i will put a shorter servo horn on and see how we goAll in all i would thoroughly recommend this as an aileron trainer,it really is a bit of a bargain too.

When applying flaps it will balloon up......need to apply a little down elevator when you apply the flaps

Once you get a TX( radio) you can adjust , you can add those together....flap and elevator mix......

You can set the flaps to a couple of positions, say half flap and than full flap....and set the elevator mix to compensate for the balloon ( sudden rise ) .
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost