HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
923 Posts
Yippee!
Maiden flight of my semi scratch built Sig Riser 100

I finally got around to flying my Sig Riser 100 that I call "Mulligan" seeing how I used a golf shaft for the Boom.

What a great flying plane. It's going to make a great ALES Bird.

After building my Oly III last winter,I needed to have another project. So I bought a Sig Riser 100 kit,but decided to do my own modifications.

After building the wing,I decided to change the tips and make it a little sleeker looking. So I added 6" to each wing tip and added a little flair to them. Then I decided I didn't like the looks of the fuselage,and I thought the tail moment was a little to short. So I went out in the garage and got one of my old Golf shafts and decided to make a Pod and boom type fuseelage for it. I decided to design the pod after the Bubble Dancer. So I drew up a plan based on the Bubble Dancer Pod and built a balsa Pod,then fiberglassed it. I then determind the length of boom I wanted so I removed the grip and cut the head off the shaft. Then I epoxied it to the Pod.

Next I designed and built the tail feathers.I added a little flair to them also.

Now it was time to install the servos and linkage for the rudder and elevator. I was going to run the linkage inside the boom, with the servos inside the pod,but figured I would probably screw that up. So I cut a notch inside the boom under the horizontal stabilizer and installed a Dymond D60 servo in the notch for the elevator,and installed another D60 in the base of the Vertical stabilizer for the rudder. That way the linkage was only a couple inches for each. The wires run down the middle of the boom to the Rx.

Next I made firewall out of plywood and glassed it.

For power I used a Hyperion 2218-12 motor with a 13x6.5 Aeronaut prop. It has plenty of power to make 200 meters in less than 30 seconds. I needed to add a ounce and half of weight to get it to ballance. I may remove a ouarter of an ounce. It's all up weight is 60 ounces using a 3S 2200 Lipo.

I covered the wing in Ultracote Orange and Purple. It really shows up in the sky.

I really wasn't sure how it was going to fly,with all the changes I made. But I couldn't be happier it's one sweet flying plane. My first hand throw it went straight as an arrow and about 100 yards,hands free landing. So I powered it up,added a couple clicks of trim,and had one great day flying. It signals thermals very well and just want's to float.

I really did not expect this plane to be as good as it is. I LOVE IT.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Very Nice Job Mr. Hog !!! It's always nice when a plan comes together and even better when it woorks as well as it looks!! Cool colors also!! Anyone can build it stock but it takes a real Man to cut one up and make it work better!! Jeff L.
whitefox545 is offline Find More Posts by whitefox545
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2007
97 Posts
Very Nice Build Eddie: Most anybody can throw together a kit but you have some real imagination and a great looking plane. Glad it flies well for you. I think there is more skill than luck going on here. I can't quite place you from photo on your bio page, but hope to cross paths with you someday and learn a thing or two. Enjoy, Wayne
enyaws is offline Find More Posts by enyaws