HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
876 Posts
maybe 1 5 cell battery won't break the bank.....anyone got a link for the PERFECT 5 cell for the meteor? hk has a bunch of new lightweight high c batteries... i have a 4 cell 2200 that is a powerhouse in my t-45....it adds a noticeable speed difference to my top end,
i don't have a radar gun or doppler run to prove this, but the model just feels faster with these batteries in it. my other batts are 2200 25c hk batteries too... but the white ones seem to be lighter, and throw out the voltage faster.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:41 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,153 Posts
For the recent discussion on 5 cell, here is my experience - have shared this before, so for new people to the thread; take it for what its worth.

Stock Setup, first flight on 5S, its second flight ever, motor burned up within first minute, dead stick down for decent landing. Second stock motor, did maybe 20 flights on 4S and started to mix in some 5S flights. 6th flight on 5S with that stock motor, it burns up; another decent deadstick landing.

My Meteor has sat without a motor for months. I saw the Tacon 2860, 2550kv motor was back in stock at HobbyPartz so I picked one up along with a Dynam 80 Amp ESC. Its rated for 70 Amps / 5S / 1300 Watts; lots of folks in the reviews saying its good on 6S, but I'm not going there, have already learned that lesson. I've got a few other projects going on but I'll get to the Meteor soon enough and report back results.

Its been mentioned before, but not in a long time, Any good tips on thrust tubes?
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:37 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,188 Posts
Here you go on the thrust tube topic.

Jason

Dynam Meteor Thrust Tube Installation. (9 min 45 sec)
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
HobbyKing:

5S 3000mAH 20C Zippy $20
Works pretty well, but if you WOT lots it will puff. Still passable really, and a super bargain at $20!! Mine have lasted long term and at this cheap price you can afford to throw them away 'sooner' than a 30C for example.... but all of mine are still working fine.

5S 3000mAH 30C Turnigy $32
Only a fraction better power than the 20C, but doesn't puff if WOT is used a lot.
Higher C (more important is that it also means lower IR) means you will get more power because the volts dropped over the battery are less than for a lower C battery, but in this case of 30C versus the 20C, you don't see that much gain... it feels more like it is 25C versus the 20C Zippy.... or the Zippy is 25C and this one 30C.

5S 3300mAH 65C Nano $59
Double the price, but not double the performance! But enough more that you are likely to be asking for trouble with the stock motor! Lower IR means more volts for the motor = more power = over-stressing its specs a bit too far.

I would not advise going over the 30C for the stock motor.
I can't 'advise' using the Zippy 20C, because it is marginally over-taxed (runs overly hot for a long life) if you use WOT too much - but if you can take care of it (not WOT all the time!), it is that super bargain price and still performs very well!

These two (20C and 30C) are also still perfectly suited for use with a CS10/L2855-2300kv combo, if you 'upgrade' to that - for its better 'jet' sound. And their resultant motor power keeps it at a level it will last long term (the L2855).
I have not tried a Nano in that combo, but it should be fine - and more power - but would have to be taking the motor into the region of 'over-spec that will affect lifespan'.
If you do really want a more powerful result than the above (stock or CS10/L2855) I would advise a CS10/HET 2W30 on 6S. That is a long-life combo and would be 20% more power sort of thing - it should go over 1:1 thrust (might need a thrust tube to get its optimal output). But that is almost a $100 combo, whilst the CS10/L2855 is a $30 combo!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Oct 06, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
One of this morning's flights..
Tacon 2550KV, CS10 fan, Grayson 100A ESC, Sky Lipo 5S, 3300, 40C battery. Full throttle passes look to be close to 100mph..need a radar gun.
Cool Runninz 10-6-12 (4 min 9 sec)
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Last edited by Purple Pashin; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
PP, I expect you are drawing Amps into the 60's with that 2550kv motor? Possibly even reaching 70 area. That would be over 1100W area.
Mine is 1020W and close about 150kph - it used to be almost exactly 160kph on the stock fan with 5S. So your combo's numbers should be getting at least 160kph, if not even some amount more.
But not much flight time at WOT!! LOL (mathamaticall under 3mins, without allowing 20% leeway, plus a bit more for landing leeway too - so probably 2mins flat)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:09 AM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
I checked power when I installed the fan. I got 1350W @ 80A peak, so it's safe so say it cracked 100mph in the dives. Also flew with a 4000mah 40C...about as heavy as I'd risk in this bird, and gives me another minute or so.
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
1350W, then that is a lot of power - relative to a more average 5S setup. But that then means it eats a lot of power/capacity too!
Maybe the cost of the weight for it all is offsetting a higher speed result. Though there is also the 'power waste' of speed gain being a inverse squared law. So it can cost a lot more power (and thus weight and/or flight time), for not a lot more speed.

I have a few 3300, 3700, 4000, but I have never tried them. Probably should.... I guess they would up the power level a bit from the 3000's. A bit more power, and probably end up the same flight time due to the bit more capacity at each size level.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:42 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Peter, or anybody, do you have a link to this CS10 fan so many are mentioning so positively? I searched back in thread, on HK, and google and only found an all aluminum $75 edf. Thanks.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22069
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:55 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
my CS10 fan just arrived!
now I have some homework to do and hope for nice swoosh sounds!
kakofonixx is online now Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,465 Posts
The more RPM, the more suction... and thus more 'airflow difficulty noise', which is what makes the jet/whoosh sound. And if you have acceptable power for the Meteor, you will get X amount of sound... enough. And the more power, thus RPM, you throw at it, the more noise....
Half the sound gain is from REMOVING the leaf blower stock fan sound.... which then allows the airflow/suction, and fan, noise to be heard.

The majority of the great sound (white noise) comes from airflow restriction, but that causes thrust loss because then the fan can't overcome the restriction fully - you don't actually lose energy (power), as the load that it "can't beat" just means it runs slower and uses less Amps because of that too. In the case of the Meteor, its ducting is pretty good, so you don't hit notable airflow issues until higher power (1200W onwards).... but that also means you don't get high levels of white noise until then either.
But it is still very nice even at 1050W onwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Half the sound gain is from REMOVING the leaf blower stock fan sound.... which then allows the airflow/suction, and fan, noise to be heard.
Thanks Peter, good info Still not completely clear on how to remove the terrible leaf blower sound in any EDF, is good balancing the most important thing, or is is the 10 smaller blades that make it less noisy, or something else? Thanks
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
my CS10 fan just arrived!
now I have some homework to do and hope for nice swoosh sounds!
Homework done but with a little trouble....
I couldn't manage to remove the motor from the stock fan, that large screw holding the fan didn't want to cooperate so I took my measures (call me dremel)
After I finally removed the motor (by ruining the stock fan+shroud), I realize it won't fit the CS shroud!!
luckily I had on of these motors laying around
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2150kv.html
and managed to finish the job...

Amp draw on a freshly charged 4S Nanotech was 62Amps peak / 860Watt
The sound is a (slightly unbalanced on low RPM) cool swoosh, let's hope for the best on the re-maiden
kakofonixx is online now Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,266 Posts
Fuselage back in stock at Grayson:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ge-p-1654.html

Not sure if I should buy a new one or try to rebuild the mangled one (had to gut it due to quick relocation).
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel