HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,234 Posts
Having better luck with this one. I found the two contacts on the board that will ramp up the fan and start the 12v rail.

At the moment any load on the 12v rail causes it to shut down though so I need to try resistors on one of the 5v lines and see if the load will straighten it out. If not then there is something I am missing yet.

I'll report back. Hoping this one will work out since the server it came out of has three more in it. Only a 14 amp but that is enough to run two chargers off of.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:36 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Could be that the sudden load on the 12v rail is causing the circuit to think there's a problem and it's shutting it down. Keep at it. If you've got the fan running you're making real progress.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,234 Posts
My thought as well, there has to be something that tells it to load up and get ready for load on the 12v. Maybe some sort of back feed to another pin.

Close, but no cigar!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
3,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
My thought as well, there has to be something that tells it to load up and get ready for load on the 12v. Maybe some sort of back feed to another pin.

Close, but no cigar!
Yes, most of the older units all require at least a 5 ohm load on the 5 volt line. Just pick up a 5 volt resistor (10 watt rating or higher) and put across the 5 volt line. You could also use any light bulb that draws at least 1 amp at 5 volts instead of the resistor. Note: this resistor will get quite warm so mount it where it won't hurt anything and can get good circulation.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,234 Posts
Tried a 10 ohm on it and no go. I am wondering if since it is a hot swap unit, and the 12v don't come alive until I bridge the two pins if there is a 12v 'feedback' where it needs to see 12v back on one pin before taking a load on the 12v lines.

Will require finding it and playing around but we shall see. I gave up on the Compaq units I had. If this doesn't work then I'll bin it too.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:21 AM
St Louis, MO USA
Joined Apr 2006
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100
Having better luck with this one. I found the two contacts on the board that will ramp up the fan and start the 12v rail.

At the moment any load on the 12v rail causes it to shut down though so I need to try resistors on one of the 5v lines and see if the load will straighten it out. If not then there is something I am missing yet.
I had a similar problem converting a regular PC power supply. I had a 5 ohm load on the 5V rail. When I turned it on, it would come on and I would see 12V on the 12V rail with a DMM. But the moment I connected my charger (a Triton) the PS would just shut off and I had to cycle power to get it to come back on. I found that if I just connected the Triton before turning on the PS, it worked fine and I got plenty of current out of it.

I'm presuming a current spike tripped the shut down circuitry. My thought is these PS's are made to start up with a load on them. You might try that.

Ed
rc404 is offline Find More Posts by rc404
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,234 Posts
Interesting. Going to try that when I get home!

Makes sense now that you say it since it is a hot swap supply.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:07 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc404
But the moment I connected my charger (a Triton) the PS would just shut off and I had to cycle power to get it to come back on. I found that if I just connected the Triton before turning on the PS, it worked fine and I got plenty of current out of it.
Ed
Yep, some chargers have fairly good-sized capacitors in them that charge as soon as the unit is turned on, and the PSU looks at that as a potential "problem" and shuts down. Common problem, and the solution is just what you did, connect the charger to the PSU before you turn it on.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:14 PM
Mark Chester
Atascadero, CA
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
mt_100, did you ever get the DPS-450BB running? I have a couple at work I'm going to bring home and work on. If you did, let me know how you did it. If not, then I'll figure it out and post what I find. These Compaq/HP server supplies appear to be very similar across models and I just figured out the DPS-450CB-1 on this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989028

The 'BB' should be almost identical in operation.

Cheers!
Mark-
Koyaanisqatsi is offline Find More Posts by Koyaanisqatsi
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:51 PM
it's just plane fun
Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2003
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
I have two server power supplies that were going to be thrown out. I'd like to convert them to bench power supplies if I can, if not bin them. I cannot find any info on the internet regarding the pinouts so I'll provide my findings and see if someone can help. As of yet I cannot get it to power up.

They are Compaq parts and here is the info on them:

Compaq Model DPS-450BB
Series ESP104
P/N: 401401-001
Spare/N: 101902-001

However I opened one up and also see Delta Model number DPS-450BP

They have two connectors on them. One is a 24pin that looks like an ATX 24 pin but has a different wire arrangement. The other is a serial port (RS232) 15 pin connector. Both are built into the back of the case since it is a hot swappable PSU.

Wires on the 24 pin are:

B B B B B R R Br Br Y Y Y
B B B B R R Br Br Br Br Y Y

The serial connector has voltage on the following pins.

8 pins top and 7 pins bottom

0v 0v 0v 0v 0v 0v 1v 0v
.2v .2v 0v .1v 5.2v 5v 1v
Just jumper pin 4 and pin 13. That's all you need to do. This is the simplest PS conversion you can do. No resistor or light bulbs needed. It even passed the ulimate test: my Triton Charger. 12V rail with no load: 12.08V. With 3 amp load: 12.04V

Good Luck
Soarmax is offline Find More Posts by Soarmax
Old Jan 06, 2010, 08:52 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Could you point out which pins are #4 and #13? Also, I'm assuming the R is for Red and it is 12+ and the B is Black?
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:14 PM
it's just plane fun
Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2003
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyspeed View Post
Could you point out which pins are #4 and #13? Also, I'm assuming the R is for Red and it is 12+ and the B is Black?
This something I put on our club website:

Oh Happy Day! I got my new (to me) Power Supply, that I got at the Club Meeting, to fire up. Thanks Matt. Per Matt: "you just hook the green and the purple leads together." The problems is, there are two greens and two purples. To make a long story, short, the magic pins are 4 and 13 on the DB-15 connector. So now you are asking, how do I tell which pin is 4 and which is 13? Well, if you were an electronics expert like me, you would know that the far left pin in the upper row is pin 1, and that the far right pin in the lower row is pin 15. (or you could carefully look at the face of the connector and see the there is a small number next to each pin).

To open the case, remove five phillips head screws from the small cover, remove cover. Remove the front cover assy by removing four torx head screws, you will need a size 15 torx screwdriver. As you remove the front cover, you will need to unplug two connectors to seperate it from the rest of the case. Next, unplug three connectors that run between the case halves, remove four phillip head screws that hold the case halves together. To get to the DB-15 connector and output connector (the one with the red, brown, yellow, and black wires) you will need to remove two "L" brackets from the bottom of the case, and then remove the large circuit board by removing four large phillips head screws, one of the screw is somewhat buried under the mass of red, brown, yellow, and black wires. Now remove the two guide pins the hold the DB-15 connector in place, these just unscrew from the outside. To remove the large connector, you can cut the plastic wing pin off, or carefully wrap the wings back around the center pin until they will go though the hole in the case. Remove the third guide pin.

Things you need to know:
1) The red wires that go to the big connector are 5V, brown are 3.3V, yellow are 12V, and black are GND.
2) Don't touch the small IC's and stuff on the small (daughter) boards as you work on your power supplies, static electricity from your fingers can Zap these. The daughter boards are the smaller boards that stick out of the larger (mother) boards. (Don't ask me who the father was). Handle by way of the case and large heat sinks as you work. Remove all metal chips as you drill holes.
3) Remember how you took it apart so that you can put it back together.

Put a switch between the wires from pin 4 and pin 13 for an on/off power switch.

Run at least four wires of each color to your output connectors (Jacks).

Good Luck,
Doug
Soarmax is offline Find More Posts by Soarmax
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:25 AM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
192 Posts
+12 or -12V ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmax View Post
This something I put on our club website:

Oh Happy Day! I got my new (to me) Power Supply, that I got at the Club Meeting, to fire up. Thanks Matt. Per Matt: "you just hook the green and the purple leads together." The problems is, there are two greens and two purples. To make a long story, short, the magic pins are 4 and 13 on the DB-15 connector. So now you are asking, how do I tell which pin is 4 and which is 13? Well, if you were an electronics expert like me, you would know that the far left pin in the upper row is pin 1, and that the far right pin in the lower row is pin 15. (or you could carefully look at the face of the connector and see the there is a small number next to each pin).

To open the case, remove five phillips head screws from the small cover, remove cover. Remove the front cover assy by removing four torx head screws, you will need a size 15 torx screwdriver. As you remove the front cover, you will need to unplug two connectors to seperate it from the rest of the case. Next, unplug three connectors that run between the case halves, remove four phillip head screws that hold the case halves together. To get to the DB-15 connector and output connector (the one with the red, brown, yellow, and black wires) you will need to remove two "L" brackets from the bottom of the case, and then remove the large circuit board by removing four large phillips head screws, one of the screw is somewhat buried under the mass of red, brown, yellow, and black wires. Now remove the two guide pins the hold the DB-15 connector in place, these just unscrew from the outside. To remove the large connector, you can cut the plastic wing pin off, or carefully wrap the wings back around the center pin until they will go though the hole in the case. Remove the third guide pin.

Things you need to know:
1) The red wires that go to the big connector are 5V, brown are 3.3V, yellow are 12V, and black are GND.
2) Don't touch the small IC's and stuff on the small (daughter) boards as you work on your power supplies, static electricity from your fingers can Zap these. The daughter boards are the smaller boards that stick out of the larger (mother) boards. (Don't ask me who the father was). Handle by way of the case and large heat sinks as you work. Remove all metal chips as you drill holes.
3) Remember how you took it apart so that you can put it back together.

Put a switch between the wires from pin 4 and pin 13 for an on/off power switch.

Run at least four wires of each color to your output connectors (Jacks).

Good Luck,
Doug
Hi Soarmax,
I have some of this powersupplys I think.

Compaq
Series ESP104
Model: DPS-450BB A
Part Number: 401401-001
Spare Number 101920-001

On the powersupply it says:
Output: 450W MAX.
+5V === / 24.0A Max - -5v === / 0.5A Max
+24V === / 0.05A MAX
+12v === / 26.0A Max - -12V === / 0.5A Max
+5VSB === / 1.5A MAX - +3.3V === / 36.0A MAX
+3.3V & +5V TOTAL POWER IS 195W MAX

If as ou state Red are 5V, Brown are 3.3V, Yellow are 12V and Black are GND how do I know what is +12V or -12V & +5V or -5V and so on.

The text above also states "Run at least four wires of each color to your output connectors (Jacks)".
You do not mean that I should connect four yellow together to one jack?
You mean four yellow cabels to four jacks so you can hook in four 12V chargers?

I work on an IT company and we throw stuff like this away all the time.
So if I find ouit how to use them as powersupplys for LiPo chargers I can spred them among my modelflying pals instead of throwing them away.
I also have a lot of these long 20A powersupplyes from HP dl380R2 rack servers that I think canbe used to.
Petrik59 is online now Find More Posts by Petrik59
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:03 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
Post up in B & C of known server hacks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer