Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:37 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Love the look of the Wood Duck Rob, an occasional pic of your build wouldn't go astray!

Like GDon with his Primary Glider, my B-100 isn't going to get off the ground quickly, lots of prep to do first and then only as I can manage to syphon of funds when possible. We are starting a new small business- still at the research, consultation and appointments stage of it all- and that has to get priority.
On the other news front, I could be the owner of a little Toyota Hilux workmate utility next week if all goes well. Gee imagine that, having a bloody car again, we are going to have some fun! Yep, it would be lovely to take Patches to some F3J comps.

Why is JW now the Gark Lord??
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:09 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
How'd I go from Darth to Garth?!?!
oops, too much beer when typing
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:05 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Sean you just about right, go hand in hand with of my ' Golden Blades ' sculptures.

Maybe a package deal and use the pistol to protect the art work !!

Hey Steve

News flash stop the press's the cad guy sent my airfoil program to the wood router guy , so after 6 mo. i can get my steaming & gluing rib fixtures built and make a few ribs [ 40 in all 20 full - 20 half size ] so it is starting to take shape.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Last edited by granada don; Jan 09, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Well d@mn GDon, you got me there! I am still at the avoiding-the-plans-a-bit stage because being just a young fella, life is a bit busy right now.

But I have acertained this; (no surprise to you builders) my L bench in the corner of the garage is already busy with ordinary stuff like repairs from sloping, electronic entrails, and tools, so are the other two table units in the shed likewise occupied with bicycle crap and stuff. So, we are going to have to make ourselves a rolling workbench for the centre of the garage, a biggish one about 1.8m square, with drawers too. Just add castors to the legs.

That's a bench to do the B-100 on, big, fat and rolling.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:33 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Hi Steve

I built a 4 ft by 8 ft rolling table with a butcher block formica topped 1 inch partacicle board top.

The lined top works great for laying out wings & lining the panels up for gluing in the joiners to keep the spars straight from end to end.

When i'am working on fine parts or polished or chrome i have a felt cover for the top, then stuff does not roll away or get scratched either.

2 straight wheels on one end and 2 casters on the other keeps it more stable when you don't wan't it to move.

Frame is made out of 1" by 2" thin wall steel tube with a 3/8" plywood bottom for more storage too. 39" high for all my tables & bench's for building bigger things when mocking up large parts to weld together across the bench tops.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:38 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
I showed that rolling bench I made on here a couple of years ago. It's worked out 100% so I say build one! Problem is, as Steve is finding out, that no matter how much bench space you have it's never enough. In the model half of the cave I have the 7' roll around and two 9' permamnt surfaces and I have to get out there this weekend and clean all the crap off. The "dirty" half of the shop has an 8' x 5' island and I had to clean it off last weekend to build my fence gates last weekend. Real easy for these surfaces to become a catch-all.

The HI-Lux sounds cool! We'd all be well off if we could get by without vehicles. I live 1.5 miles from work and most weeks I don't go anywhere else but there and back. What I need to do is get back into bicycling and pedal back and forth, leave me truck at work and benefit from that in several ways.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
With your climate there in Florida being very much the same as ours here in Qld I reckon riding the cycle to work sounds like an excellent idea Sean. Even with a car we will still ride in and out of town for work and little errands if time allows. Tried to find an old pic of your roller but had no luck, looked fantastic!

Hope Hoss is doing Ok- I am trying to avoid any correlation between your boating mishap and other stuff and Hoss's recent surgery, you know how easy that is to do, to assume a misadventure!

Hey thanks for the castor tip G Don, I didn't think of that yet but of course it makes perfect sense. I have my eye on an old table at our local recycling markets and all it needs is a straight benchtop, some glue and fasteners, and castors. Ya just can't go into a build half-@rsed, there must be a dedicated area for the projects in my cave to avoid cross contamination of confusions- if that makes sense. Some pics later to help my enthusiasm along. The concrete floor of the 'cave is pretty flat so not to much worry with rolling induced bench warp.

Steve- splitting balsa down the slope a bit lately and loving it.

EDIT; What a great way to spend a fine Saturday morning! sitting with a great cup of coffee, observing some perfect flying weather and nature around the house- we have a lot of animals roaming free here-, and browsing RCG thermal. We have really well documented and entertaining build threads from AK79, IHAVA, Undercarter, just to name a few builders, thankyou! what a top morning!
Last edited by atmosteve; Jan 11, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Yeah Steve. Enjoy the coffee my friend... I can almost smell it & with the "Sound of Music"" playing in the background???Wish I was there, it"s going down to -17 F here in Montana tonight.... Here are those photo's of Sean's prize bench, I bet that room isn't this clean today?? LOL
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 11, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Steve, just took some shots of my NOT SO PERFECT flying weather and "nature around the house"... I'm sure yours is MUCH more inhabitable though? Some of our North American mule deer species. The "spike" is a one year old, and mom teaching how to eat my juniper tree!! That's how we trim hedges in this "neck" of the woods.... < I know," BOOOOOooo"!! bad pun
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Oh thanks Woody! Yeah, that workbench has been a big help. Still dead flat after all this time and humidity changes. You are correct the shop looks a LOT less clean now.

Steve: Yep, it's kind of dumb to drive the truck so much as we actually have very few days here that would be too cold for biking. Right now it's 72 F here and a little on the humid side.

You figured it out. Hoss was severely injured in the boating accident that claimed my complete gun collection..........................or something like that..................
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:54 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Come on Sean, let's see an "up to date" shot of that build location/ bench. I mean come on, that third shot in the series looks like it's in a clean room - you could almost eat off that floor!!!

Maybe we should do a series of "build location" shots? Hmmm, not sure that's a good idea! I'd be too jealous of Sean's "warm" location, and a clean one too!

Cheers,

Rob
(throwing another log on the fire..., and who thinks Sean's workbench top is killer)
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
My digital camera would crash trying to focus in the cave right now. Gonna spend tomorrow night cleaning up the whole thing from top to bottom.

Spending the day tomorrow replacing columns on my front porch, also some railings and spindles. Then the fun part begins: I'm going to kill Azalea bushes with extreme prejudice. No mercy. Gonna use the Cat 287 with a plant digging bucket. 3/8" thick cold steel serrated on the edges to rip through evil shrubs like a chainsaw. I'll spread foliage death and destruction across the property sporting an evil grin the whole time. I hated those bushes the moment I laid eyes on this house. They've harbored all manner of local slithery pests not to mention never allowing the porch to dry thereby promoting wood rot and all forms of black and green mold known no modern science. I've dreamed of this day for three years. Vengeance is mine ..................and shall be sweet!

Except for the part where I get to go porch furniture and landscaping plants shopping with the little woman on Sunday, spending cash that could be put to better use on..................never mind.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post

Hope Hoss is doing Ok- I am trying to avoid any correlation between your boating mishap and other stuff and Hoss's recent surgery, you know how easy that is to do, to assume a misadventure!

!
Talked to Hoss yesterday. Let's just say certain pain meds affect his sleep cycles a bit. Tales of dreams featuring Hoss and Ernest Hemingway clff climbing in Cuba in search of Cuban lovelies, a horrible street fight with a Rhinoceros where he broke his much loved tactical flashlight over said ungulate's head and IIRC something about the Care Bears makes me think I need to rescue the Hossman next weekend and hand him a transmitter.

I'll do the launches Hoss. You can sit in a lawn chair and fly. Wouldn't want you walking around in that hospital gown you put on backwards and all...............
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I just pictured the two of you chucking a Radian out the top floor window.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:49 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
^Yes, it is not a difficult thing to picture in your mind!

All the best Hoss, and whatever happened, we know you were innocent and Sean talked you into it.

Katie, speaking of radians I was given a Radian Pro today, long story- remember what happened to my 2M Lil Bird? Anyhow Steve Raskin was good enough to throw me the kit, it only has a warped left aileron blade to straighten out and it is mint. Anhow it means I can retire my dads tired bashed up old EZG from general trainer duty and use the Radian for buddy boxing (wish I had that Futaba wireless buddy system!). Amazingly, and despite looking like real crap, the old EZG still flies like a dream on the slope. it can go for the odd retirement flight to blow off the spiders and generally rest on the wall.

For those that may Know Steve of Scimitar aircraft, he hasn't been a well man for some time. Early Feb he goes under the knife for serious surgery to his back. We wish you all the best mate and are thinking of you. For some of us Steve has been a truly venerable retailer and great character on the aussie scene for a long time, get well mate.

IHAVA, your wildlife is a bit bigger and hungrier than ours, we have eastern grey roo's hopping about the garden here, our back yard is a lovely bush park goes down to the sea. Stay warm there, stay warm...

Have fun Sean, sounds like serious stuff! I have the same dislike for Geranium bushes and would do the same to them given a chance.

Did wood work today, the sunfrau and I are restoring two old hand made pine wooden tables bought from a second hand shop, good and strong, but awful stain finish, like deck oil. Sanding it all by hand and might redo it in a mahogany stain in satin finish, 6-8 coats. Well at least it is working with wood.

Well, back to dozing in the hammock, neck is getting sore from typing this. Beer!