Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:28 PM
It Eats Vets
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
You get it from Dialfonzo. Tgreen this frame is very soild

No doubt. I have one of his hex spyder frames and while I've yet to get it off the ground (long story), it's excellent. I want something small so I can learn to bang around in my backyard without feeling to cramped for space. The hex is on the largish side, at least to me.

I'll get it ordered tonight, and then be back here to bug the snot out of everybody over what's the hot ticket hardware wise. I'll be looking for lazy long flight time over hot rod performance, for now. Crawl and walk before run and all that....
tgreening is offline Find More Posts by tgreening
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:20 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
FPVing the Mini-Spyder FPV Kit! (7 min 18 sec)
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:42 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Ok, so this is the hardware I'm looking at, but I'm pretty much flying blind here, and basing my guesses off of what others have chosen in this thread. Finding and picking motors has got to be the single biggest headache so far. Drives me nuts trying to figure that out. Obviously this is all from hobby king, but I'm open to suggestions as to where to purchase, as well as WHAT to purchase.

I put a few different batteries up. One of them I believe will fit between the frame plates, the others I'm not so sure but guessing not.

My goal at this point is geared more towards max flight time rather than sporty performance. Pointers in that regard are more than welcome.

Motors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2050kv.html

ESCs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ush%2012%20amp

Collets: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20Colet%20Type

5x3.0 or 5x4.5 3-blade props?
Or bigger?

Turnigy 1600mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

Turnigy 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack

Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
Ok, so this is the hardware I'm looking at, but I'm pretty much flying blind here, and basing my guesses off of what others have chosen in this thread. Finding and picking motors has got to be the single biggest headache so far. Drives me nuts trying to figure that out. Obviously this is all from hobby king, but I'm open to suggestions as to where to purchase, as well as WHAT to purchase.

I put a few different batteries up. One of them I believe will fit between the frame plates, the others I'm not so sure but guessing not.

My goal at this point is geared more towards max flight time rather than sporty performance. Pointers in that regard are more than welcome.

Motors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2050kv.html

ESCs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ush%2012%20amp

Collets: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20Colet%20Type

5x3.0 or 5x4.5 3-blade props?
Or bigger?

Turnigy 1600mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

Turnigy 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack

Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Those were the motors I wish I had got. You might need to dremel a little more space around the motor hole.

Your ESCs will fit in the arms nice and snug

You would want to use 6" props.

and 1500-1600 with a min of 25c
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
1800 goes underneath.
CG is perfect.
the AXN motor need a quater inch spacer.
But they will run 5x3x3 all the way up to 7 x3.
In yes 7's will fit the Mini Spyder
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,143 Posts
My first Minispyder flips. It was -10 with wind of 15Km. The props had their handsfull
Nathan's first quad flip (2 min 28 sec)
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
A flying dot..
Close to the end there was a couple of nice flip to be seen...!
I think that solve the question about weight vs power... :-)

Well done Nate
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:26 AM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Here you go.

How did you mount your props to these motors? The photos I see show that funky prop saver setup. I just got my frame in yesterday and want to get started on ordering the stuff that makes it go Zooom, or considering my skill level more likely Boom!

Need to track down a couple of standoffs as well. My kit was short a couple so the tail sections are un-joined at the moment. I didn't think to measure at the time, and too late (and lazy) to get out of my chair to do it, but if I recall they're .5". Shouldn't be that hard to source I'd think.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:46 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
How did you mount your props to these motors? The photos I see show that funky prop saver setup. I just got my frame in yesterday and want to get started on ordering the stuff that makes it go Zooom, or considering my skill level more likely Boom!

Need to track down a couple of standoffs as well. My kit was short a couple so the tail sections are un-joined at the moment. I didn't think to measure at the time, and too late (and lazy) to get out of my chair to do it, but if I recall they're .5". Shouldn't be that hard to source I'd think.
Damn...
I might have forgot to give you the spacers to do the tail.
Should be the normal 0.5" but with spacer to level at the same hight of arms.. so 2 1.5mm ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Damn...
I might have forgot to give you the spacers to do the tail.
Should be the normal 0.5" but with spacer to level at the same hight of arms.. so 2 1.5mm ..

Ok, my local hobby stores looking at me like I'm from Mars when I ask about stand-offs. Any suggestions where I might be able to source these little buggers?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Ok, my local hobby stores looking at me like I'm from Mars when I ask about stand-offs. Any suggestions where I might be able to source these little buggers?
Any electronics supply store should be able to help you out ... Jaycar, Dick Smith, etc
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:11 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
You want longer Standoffs ?
As i said, i normaly use spacers to get the 0.5" one to the right level.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:28 AM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
You want longer Standoffs ?
As i said, i normaly use spacers to get the 0.5" one to the right level.

Ahh, a mixup in communication. It's not that I want longer standoffs for the tail. I don't have them....at all. I was missing two standoffs, so the tail section is doing without right now. If they were just a bit short I could get some washers or something to use as spacers, but as I said I don't have them at all.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:18 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Ahh, a mixup in communication. It's not that I want longer standoffs for the tail. I don't have them....at all. I was missing two standoffs, so the tail section is doing without right now. If they were just a bit short I could get some washers or something to use as spacers, but as I said I don't have them at all.
Oh...!
I am surprised, but i will send you the missing parts..
Do you have enough screws..?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Oh...!
I am surprised, but i will send you the missing parts..
Do you have enough screws..?

Not 100% sure on the screws. There was a bunch of left over hardware like tiny little pieces of all-thread, misc screws, 4 short little stand-offs with screws that I think are probably for mounting a little fpv camera, etc. But 100% sure there are no more stand-offs anywhere close to the right size for the tail section.