HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
80 Posts
Discussion
DA-60 popping question

Hey guys, I have a new DA-60 that I'm running on a test bench right now because I cannot run it in the airplane yet. I am aware of the risk of overheating on the bench and have been very careful with an IR gun to monitor cylinder temps and stay below 300.

I have read the newbie guides to setting up gas and they've been very helpful but I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question.

Here is a video of the engine running at approximately 1/3 throttle.

Now, at this point I had tuned the high end with a tach (around 7,000) and the low end for good transition. I'm sure the needles aren't perfect yet.

Here's my question, is the popping/missing that you hear in this video:

A. Normal, quit worrying about it they all do that.

B. Needle valves not adjusted right.

C. Not broken in yet (there's about 3/4 gal through it now)

D. Other or combination

All of the newbie guides and stuff go through how to setup and adjust the engines etc but none seem to really address this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
PA44Capt is offline Find More Posts by PA44Capt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Does it still have the plug that came with it installed? If so that's where I'd start...

If you've already replaced the plug, I'm not a firm believer in screwing with these things on the ground much beyond the basics you say you've done. Not because of the heating issue, but because I think it's a waste of time? You're going to be tweaking ANYTHING you do on the ground once it's in the air anyway? No matter how careful you are. Ground tuning is just to get you close once airborne? That's just me/my opinion though... -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2009
80 Posts
Normally, I would fully agree with you about the flying vs ground situation. Unfortunately, I can't fly this engine right now because the UAV project it will be powering isn't in the same state as myself.

I did use the plug it came with because its an NGK CM6 which is what we all seem to go to on these engines. I know the DLE plugs are junk but this one should be good.

What do you think of the popping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Does it still have the plug that came with it installed? If so that's where I'd start...

If you've already replaced the plug, I'm not a firm believer in screwing with these things on the ground much beyond the basics you say you've done. Not because of the heating issue, but because I think it's a waste of time? You're going to be tweaking ANYTHING you do on the ground once it's in the air anyway? No matter how careful you are. Ground tuning is just to get you close once airborne? That's just me/my opinion though... -Al
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
I think it would make me crazy as well, but would like to know if it would still be doing that in the air?

It sounds like ignition, but Ive been around these things long enough to know that doesn't mean much. Do you have it on 4.8 volts? Double checked for sure? Do you have another ignition module you can swap it out with? I'm just guessing, probably don't know much more about it than you do at this point. -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
80 Posts
I'm certain the pack was charged and it's a 4.8v nimh so that should be fine. The ignition is a brand new module. I know they can be bad out of the box but my gut says that isn't it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I think it would make me crazy as well, but would like to know if it would still be doing that in the air?

It sounds like ignition, but Ive been around these things long enough to know that doesn't mean much. Do you have it on 4.8 volts? Double checked for sure? Do you have another ignition module you can swap it out with? I'm just guessing, probably don't know much more about it than you do at this point. -Al