HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
If it's a general defect (like right now with the DSM module) you moan with everyone else until they compensate you...
Interesting info, Kilrah. I spent a year in Switzerland (Zurich) 20 years ago. I didn't see any RC planes back then, but it definitely seemed like a beautiful place to fly.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
Haarlem
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
Ola

Not sure whether in the right thread, ran through quite a few, and was completely baffled by all the information. So maybe can give a few pointers on where to go from here.

I purchased a second hand 9x (rev1) with a couple of tgy 9x8c (rev1) receivers.
As I understood changing the board itself from r1 to r2 is a relatively easy job. After which I will change to the opensource firmware, which is not a scare to me. My main concern is which DIY RF unit to buy. I guess the are quite a few options open. But which is to be recommended right now ?
FASST / DSM / DSM2 / ACCST
Are these 'standards' all incompatible ?
My modelling choices are soaring/dlg/electric, so I am in for a telemetry system with a thermaling aid, as top of the notch solution. No plans for FPV or Heli's

Or is my gut feeling of going for the FrSky module the only right choice in this ?

-- To my horror, I see this is my first posting, and that after lurking in for 3 years, shame on me.....
pe5ed is offline Find More Posts by pe5ed
Last edited by pe5ed; Nov 17, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
There are many opinions on this but given your comments IMO the best value would be FrSky...but if you have some patience, rather than modding a 9x, wait for the X9D
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Haarlem
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
Hello Anti-pod (kgfly is right beneath me)
I am biased to say the same, after my posting here, it reflected the right triggers for doing another web-search again. So I ended up again at rcmodelsreview. Whose shows and website I have read a lot.
Since I am world-renowned for my patience, I will gear up the system as it is, and use it for slope and such....
But for now,,, what is a X9D ? (firingupgoogle'engines here)
More research to be done this weekend. Oh well, it's cold and dark... Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
Haarlem
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
In order to not leave behind questions to other lurkers, it seems to be a fully blown new version of the T9X : http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...e=nl&langue=en
With a few new branches sprouting as well. Oh wow..... Xmas coming as well
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
It has nothing to do with the T9X, it's developed by FrSky. The successor of the T9X is the one that is discussed in this topic - the 9XR.
But yes, the names are confusing.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
Haarlem
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
verzeiung / sorry for that
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:39 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz View Post
What kind of support? Seriously? When your 9XR arrives and doesn't work or has significant defects (not uncommon with HobbyKing), who do you call or write?
Are you in the USA? Call Hobby King or use their online chat support (easiest method) and replace it. I did that... it's annoying to get a defective product, but it was easy to set right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz View Post
I don't know about Europe, but with Spektrum here in the States (or just about anything purchased from someplace like Horizon Hobby) you can just call and they will send a replacement immediately or fix the radio promptly at no cost. And it's less likely to be defective to start with.
Spektrum does have great support. My first radio (DX6i) had a bad receiver, and the phone support guy talked me through it and sent me out a replacement immediately.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe5ed View Post
In order to not leave behind questions to other lurkers, it seems to be a fully blown new version of the T9X : http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...e=nl&langue=en
With a few new branches sprouting as well. Oh wow..... Xmas coming as well
Hi Anti-pod
The success of the original FlySky 9X, the mods to it and the open-source software (like er9x) has inspired several exciting but separate developments of new TX. The Turnigy 9XR is one, the new FlySky 9ch may be another and the new TX line from FrSky (X9D, X12D and X16D) is a third exciting alternative.

The 9XR looks likely to launch for $50 and once any initial bugs are worked out (a reality for all new TX) will probably redefine what an 'entry level' TX can do.

The X9D might cost more, maybe double, we don't know yet, but IMO looks like it will offer a better solution for those looking for features like integrated telemetry out of the box and a growth path to even more sophisticated TX in the following 12 months.

Of course we won't know for sure what any if these new generation systems can or cannot do until they are actually shipping and get into users' hands. Until then it's all largely speculation based on rumours and limited leaked information from the vendors.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
It's all about Quadcopters
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Nov 2012
361 Posts
This may seem like a really stupid question but I can't make heads-or-tails of if anyone knows when the Turnigy 9xr will be released?
ecreative is offline Find More Posts by ecreative
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreative View Post
This may seem like a really stupid question but I can't make heads-or-tails of if anyone knows when the Turnigy 9xr will be released?
A friend of someone who works at one of hk's warehouses said it would be released on the 15/11 +- 2 days but that was nearly 3 weeks ago so anything could have happened in that time, especially since such a wide window was given.
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
A friend of someone who works at one of hk's warehouses said it would be released on the 15/11 +- 2 days but that was nearly 3 weeks ago so anything could have happened in that time, especially since such a wide window was given.
I hope your friend is just a few days out as I'm sure it will take weeks to get to the UK from the HK store and I want to try and get one before Xmas
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreative View Post
I hope your friend is just a few days out as I'm sure it will take weeks to get to the UK from the HK store and I want to try and get one before Xmas
Not my friend, he posted on this forum about 5 pages ago. And the 9XR was ment to be my birthday present back in September.

Darcy
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,417 Posts
Given the module issue, I think that the radio is now under another set of exhaustive tests.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Given the module issue, I think that the radio is now under another set of exhaustive tests.
Well they should get the 9x back in stock then, seems like an odd move to suspend a product while waiting for another to be released