SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:23 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
20 years down the road. thats great, but. How many RC hobbyists are using a Tx from 20 years ago? 20 years from now I'm sure we will be leaps and bounds ahead of this "old" stuff we are using now.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:29 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Not so much the 8 channels as the other goodies, such as the backlit screen, timer that turns on when you move the stick forward. No worrying about forgetting to turn it on. Many wing types already programmed in. Stick adjustments done without taking the back off the trans. Rubber side grips, beeps and vibrates if you forget to turn it off, etc. When I installed the Beast, I did no programming whatsoever, didn't need any.Next version I would buy is one that talks to me.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Don't forget the number of model memories. I didn't think that I'd ever run out of model memories when I started out with a transmitter with 6 on it, that's a laugh The DX8 has 30 on board and infinite if you use the SD card to store them on. Stuball, don't kid yourself, I know people flying with radio gear well over 20 years old, we really are a tight bunch.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about that. Mine is full right now. Had to give myself a slap

Gord..
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:25 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about getting a new tx next year!
rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
20 years down the road. thats great, but. How many RC hobbyists are using a Tx from 20 years ago? 20 years from now I'm sure we will be leaps and bounds ahead of this "old" stuff we are using now.
Tell me about it. I had a nice JR 652 that I was hanging onto even though I was out of the hobby for awhile (no time). I figured I better keep my radio because I will always get back into it sooner or late.

Well, I got back into it and found out my radio was obsolete and I was lucky to get $40 for it. I should have just sold it long ago and got more for it. It's a shame because I think that radio was much nicer than the DX6i as far as the construction and feel (I got a DX8 now which is much nicer than DX6i and closer to the old JR)

The radios functions are about the same as then, but the frequency changes and stuff made it obsolete.
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Well, as Aviefly said, there are probably lots of "old timers" that still use old equipment. I wouldnt think it would be so good though. Arent most of the advances in the area of reliability and control? I was into off road buggies/trucks starting in the early eighties. Tamiya Hornet was my first RC. I would not even consider using that radio today, I remember well the runaways I had in those days. With 2.4ghz I have never had a runaway, yet.............. knock on wood.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
I can still picture a buddy holding his trans. high over his head and running across the field as fast as his little legs could carry him. Sometimes the shoe was on the other foot. I used to have a PCS back then.

Gord.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Stuball,

Many thousands of RCers still use 15-20-year-old rigs. There are plenty of pilots who still fly 72 MHz 1024 PCM because they had already invested a lot of money in 72 MHz PCM gear & they're unwilling to start over.

My early '90s module-based Futaba 8UAF 'computer radio' is my primary backup rig. Since it's module-based, I can fly Spektrum BNF & many others with it - simply by plugging-in the appropriate module & antenna. It's nearly 20 years old, but the high-reliability switches, pots, and ball-bearing gimbals still feel & operate just like they did when new - despite thousands of hours of use. Even though it is two decades old, it has many features that have only recently started to show up on the flagship rigs of Spektrum & some of the other manufacturers. It has fully-assignable switches, functions, and channels, three fully user-programmable flight-timers per model that can be tied to any switch or whatever percentage of throttle you wish, sailplane & heli modes, various wing & tail configurations, a choice of the second aileron channel, extensive standard mixes, linear & multi-point user-programmable mixes, and unlimited model storage with Futaba's memory modules. I'm sure that I missed a few things...

All of that was just run-of-the-mill stuff for Futaba - even 20 years ago. To put this into perspective - the 8UAF was Futaba's entry-level computer radio at the time!

My module-based FP-7FG/E from the mid-80s still works perfectly. The high-reliability switches, pots and ball-bearing gimbals still feel like they're new - despite thousands of hours of use. Thanks to its module-based architecture, I can even fly a 2012 BNF plane with it! Plus - even though it's over 25 years old, it has end-point adjustments & expo. No, it won't fly a CCPM heli & it doesn't have any mixes or memories - but its precision blows today's entry-level rigs out of the water.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
"No, it won't fly a CCPM heli "

That alone kills it for most people these days, unless your just into planes....
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
"No, it won't fly a CCPM heli "

That alone kills it for most people these days, unless your just into planes....
Evidently, you missed my point. I never suggested that anyone should use an 80s tx today. I mentioned my vintage FP-7FG/E simply to illustrate that quality transmitters usually last for decades, and that module-based rigs are, for the most part, future-proof.

My 20-year-old Futaba 8UAF will fly a CPPM bird, and it has many features that have only recently began to show up on the flagship radios of Spektrum & some of the others - even though it was Futaba's entry-level programmable tx back then. Plus, it's module-based, so it is also future-proof.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Evidently, you missed my point. I never suggested that anyone should use an 80s tx today. I mentioned my vintage FP-7FG/E simply to illustrate that quality transmitters usually last for decades, and that module-based rigs are, for the most part, future-proof.

My 20-year-old Futaba 8UAF will fly a CPPM bird, and it has many features that have only recently began to show up on the flagship radios of Spektrum & some of the others - even though it was Futaba's entry-level programmable tx back then. Plus, it's module-based, so it is also future-proof.

Joel
I assume the module changes it to 2.4Ghz (ignorant on Futaba modules)? Thats the main thing I would consider aside from needing CCPM. Cost of modules is another consideration (I seem to remember Futaba modules being pricey..not sure now). A couple modules could equal a new radio.

There was a time long ago that I got an old futaba radio from my dad and I could not legally use it any more due to the frequency laws. It was a creme colored four channel box. The older radios are good quality compared to some of the junk today, I definatly agree. I got rid of my JR because it was not 2.4GHz. Other than that, it would be just as good or better than the DX6i (definatly better made and ergonomics).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
687 Posts
Quote:
Anyone got a setup file for the dX8 and UMX Beast 3D? I just got a new radio and would rather load a file than punch all the settings in manually.
noneed for expo or anything. charge and fly the Beast !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
I assume the module changes it to 2.4Ghz (ignorant on Futaba modules)? Thats the main thing I would consider aside from needing CCPM. Cost of modules is another consideration (I seem to remember Futaba modules being pricey..not sure now). A couple modules could equal a new radio.

There was a time long ago that I got an old futaba radio from my dad and I could not legally use it any more due to the frequency laws. It was a creme colored four channel box. The older radios are good quality compared to some of the junk today, I definatly agree. I got rid of my JR because it was not 2.4GHz. Other than that, it would be just as good or better than the DX6i (definatly better made and ergonomics).
Yes, the actual RF deck is in the module, so it's just a matter of plugging in the appropriate module & antenna. I started flying module-based rigs back in the early 90s because I'm a ham operator, and I wanted the option of flying on the 6 meter ham band. (No waiting for a channel, longer range, and much less interference.) With module-based rigs, that is simple to do. So, I stuck with the module concept when I bought the 8UAF. When the Spektrum BNF stuff started showing up, I was really glad that I did! All I had to do was buy a $110 module & I was all set. It even came with a $70 Spektrum AR7000 + remote rx! And my old mid-90s 8UAF has many features that weren't even available on a number of the other manufacturers' flagship rigs. So, when I was looking for a new primary rig about 5 years ago, I bought a Futaba 10CHP - which is also module-based.

Regarding Futaba FASST module prices - they're much less costly than buying another high-quality, full-featured transmitter. The 10C comes with a synthesized 72 MHz PCM module & synthesized PCM rx. The FASST module is $180. As I mentioned, Spektrum's DSM2 Futaba module is only $110, and it now comes with a $90 AR7010 DSMX rx + remote rx! So you get the module for only $20. There are a number of lower-cost modules available that fit Futaba module-based rigs. Assan, Corona, and FrSky make lower-cost 2.4 GHz modules & receivers (some with telemetry). Xtreme Link makes a very robust, 5-mile range module + rx. There is even a long-range UHF module + rx available for FPV that has a range of 12-36 miles. (It is not legal in the US, however.)

Hence, why I stick with module-based transmitters.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
I lost a control horn on my Beast. HH sent me replacement horns #efla211 but they are huge! I'm rebuilding the wing set on the Beast and don't know if new ones come with the set. Anyone know where I can get proper control horns? Are the Dubro micro horns correct size? Do new horns come with the new wing set?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike