SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clp.eng View Post
I'm not sure what that means "on rails". I have a "REAL" T-Rex SE V2 clone that I can hover pretty well in 3 orientations & even scoot it around a bit. However, I can barely hover it in FSOne V1.1. If that's on rails I'd like to remove them!

Scott - yes, sir I tried all those changes & it was still pretty uncontrollable. I have since learned a lot about setting up expo & travel & have been messing with those. It's better but still not EVEN close to the real thing.

Chuck
That trex 450SA in the Hangar Pack should never have been added to the line up in my opinion. It really stands out among the heli line up as being messed up. It has been greatly improved in v2, but it's still too snappy IMO. I don't think the 450 in fsone is representative of the helis in general in fsone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceco View Post
BTW. I've read several times that FSO is not a very accurate heli sim. I get the idea, however, that there might be some perpetuation of only a few peoples opinion. I'm not a 3D heli flier but from the limited experience in my flight regime the sim compares well with the model. If any of you that ARE accomplished heli fliers and are familiar with FSOne would like to detail their experience on the subject it would be interesting to hear.

diceco
I agree with you. I myself have only noted that heli models in fsone don't seem to get remotely as much attention from the developers as the airplanes. I have called fsone "airplane centric" which I think is very true. The fixed wing simulation is exceptional and clearly seems to be the focus.

The fundamentals for helis though are definitely there from what I can see.

In general FSOne has a proper coherence in physics. It has always struck me that the aerodynamics and general Newtonian physics in fsone are really properly tied together resulting in a real coherence that you can feel intuitively.

With the heli's, from what I can tell, the only short fall is that some purely mechanical aspects of heli's may not be factored in enough. For example, I think collective response is too snappy. Collective response is affected by sudden load/strain on the motor in response to increases in blade pitch. Yaw and cyclic inputs also contribute to this load effect. They are heli-specific mechanical factors. The rest in fsone is definitely there.

But again, the focus of fsone clearly seems to be on very accurate airplane simulation. If they wanted to in future give more attention to helis, they would IMO just need to take a closer look at some mechanical aspects. The fundamentals and proper coherence in physics are there for the heli side to be really good.
Aerosapien is offline Find More Posts by Aerosapien
Last edited by Aerosapien; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Physics

Aerosapien has put his finger on it. The heli physics is there, but the setup could use improvements as well as surely other tweaks (e.g. like Scott's tweaks to this particular TREX). I had similar feedback from someone at Aerovironment who knows helis. We'll get to it, but ....

But for now, new airplanes first because we are tooled up nicely to get that done. Here's a video which looks like it does because of some of the new aero in the sim. Of course, that can be hard to judge, but the airplane is doing quite of bit of 3D aero w/ prop effects and nothing looks out of place in the motions (I think). If you're used to watching airplanes fly, like going to airshows, you should be able to judge what's behind the scenes.

But I will add that what's behind the scenes has actually been published now ...

Hangar 9 Ultimate TOC 46% on FS One - Pushing air! (1 min 17 sec)
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
FSOV2 Towplane - Sailplane

I'm building a tow plane to do some aero towing and thought I'd try and model the tow plane in FSO to see if it had enough power to aerotow. I tried towing one of the Tracon gliders and also the 13 lb. Swift. I flew the tow plane and let the computer fly the glider. The computer did a poor job of flying the glider to the point that it wouldn't track behind the tow plane worth a darn and ended up dragging the towplane into an uncontrollable situation.

Any body had any experience with this? Is there anything to be done about it? I don't have a 2nd player setup nor anyone that could fly the glider in the simulation.

Thanks, diceco
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceco View Post
I'm building a tow plane to do some aero towing and thought I'd try and model the tow plane in FSO to see if it had enough power to aerotow. I tried towing one of the Tracon gliders and also the 13 lb. Swift. I flew the tow plane and let the computer fly the glider. The computer did a poor job of flying the glider to the point that it wouldn't track behind the tow plane worth a darn and ended up dragging the towplane into an uncontrollable situation.

Any body had any experience with this? Is there anything to be done about it? I don't have a 2nd player setup nor anyone that could fly the glider in the simulation.

Thanks, diceco
We don't have AI in the sim! You are right that w/ one interface (single player) if you are going to pilot the towplane, what's behind you is simply along for the ride. We left it like that for the fun of it. There's a video in the FSOne.com gallery which should the Funtana towing the Tribute indoors. It shows the physics mainly.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
We don't have AI in the sim!
Gee, with all the physics calculations in the program I thought maybe the sailplane would sense the pull of the tow line and allow itself to be towed behind the tow plane while keeping it's wings level. Isn't that the way it works in the actual models? All it would take is a nominal neutral pitch trim setting, and pitch attitude, as well as yaw and therefor lateral direction, would be primarily determined by the angle and force of the towline? To the layman the programming of that doesn't sound so difficult, but I'm not a programmer!

diceco
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:33 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
You're an optimist and so am I, but controller design is not that easy. Maybe you can get things to work a little bit w/ something stable like the Ascent or Alpha40 on tow.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:59 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
@MSelig

Hi i really like what i have read about FSone but quite a few people just lately have said they think the Plane Physics in the new V2 are not as accurate as the original FSone.
Could you please clear this up for me ?

Thanks
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Jan 12, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
@ kris

Don't believe everything you hear.
Here are the facts:
http://www.fsone.com/faq.php#6385
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:21 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
@MSelig

Hi i really like what i have read about FSone but quite a few people just lately have said they think the Plane Physics in the new V2 are not as accurate as the original FSone.
Could you please clear this up for me ?

Thanks
Even if they were worse they would still better then the other sims .

loving V2 I'm mainly flying my scaled up brio and not getting overly bored as I am trying to perfect maneuvers rather then just flying around .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Also its funny to see how people fall in love with ONE particular sim and dismiss all the others . Even if the sim is out of date and not supported anymore for some reason they will try and get you to buy it .
If you get a sim get a modern up to date and supported sim . Most of them will do the trick as there are a lot of pro's and cons to each one of them . Which I think tends to equal them out .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
Also its funny to see how people fall in love with ONE particular sim and dismiss all the others . Even if the sim is out of date and not supported anymore for some reason they will try and get you to buy it .
I haven't myself seen anyone doing this regarding fsone. I myself have loved fsone specifically for it's realism ever since I got it, but didn't advocate it to anyone way back when it became apparent that Horizon was moving toward dropping the original version. I also own another commercial sim and try the others at LHS's and from flying buddies whenever I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
If you get a sim get a modern up to date and supported sim . Most of them will do the trick as there are a lot of pro's and cons to each one of them . Which I think tends to equal them out .
Relating to that point, I do think that some people stress a certain type of feature above all others, but not necessarily a certain simulator. For example I've seen some say that they can't imagine getting a sim that doesn't support user created aircraft. I would not waste that person's time espousing what to me is most important in a sim. They need what they need.
Aerosapien is offline Find More Posts by Aerosapien
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
RC Student
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
I can't seem to get on to the fsone.com website. Is this the only place that I can purchase the new V2 of this? I'm ready to buy now since you guys have been nice enough to help me sort out the differences between this and pheonix.

Chas
Trapviper is offline Find More Posts by Trapviper
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
714 Posts
I believe it is the only source, but I'm not totally sure. I tried their website and it does appear to be down.
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapviper View Post
I can't seem to get on to the fsone.com website. Is this the only place that I can purchase the new V2 of this? I'm ready to buy now since you guys have been nice enough to help me sort out the differences between this and pheonix.

Chas
OK ... now it's back.
Last edited by MSelig; Jan 12, 2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: back up
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Apparently some user on the machine had some WordPress code/script running wild and there was practically no CPU left.