SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2015, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by sea_owl
Joined Aug 2013
86 Posts
Discussion
DJI Phantom 3 camera wiring diagram

DJI Phantom 3 contains many interesting technical solutions. No doubt, many pilots will be interesting in wiring diagram of camera, gimbal, and COFDM transmitter. I hope this will make possible to use a different camera (thermal) on the Phantom 3, or replace a broken camera to 3rd party one. Unfortunately, the DJI does not give us this information, so we have to open and look inside the bird.

This topic will be updated continuously.
sea_owl is offline Find More Posts by sea_owl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2015, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2013
86 Posts
Main gimbal PCB is located within the gimbal top housing. It uses 8-pin and 6-pin connector. Apart from interface ICs and motor drivers, there're well known -

Ambarella A9 Ultra HD 4K Camera SoC link
GoPro Hero4 cameras and some other consumer electronics use it.

Texas Instruments (TI) Digital Media System-on-Chip (DMSoC) link
It is H.264 codec, and it is similar to DaVinchi SoC used in Phantom 2 Vision+

STM32F407
It's cool little MCU, with rich peripheral link

ELPIDA B8132B3PB RAM
ISSI IS43 DDR3 SDRAM
DSpic33 - 16-bit PIC Microcontroller

Keywords:
Micron MT29F2G08ABADA_256MB_PG2K, BusyBox, AmbaShell, amba_boss, WEP_KEY2=0102030405060708090a0b0c0d, data_zhongwenhui, ambalink, [DJI_VIDEOOP], [DJI_TRANS],[DJI_ENCRYPT],Camera firmware update,HDMI reconnect OK,Dji97986986

root:/ym0BniFZd0PQ:16184:0:99999:7:::
Last edited by sea_owl; Aug 03, 2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: add keyword
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:31 AM
Joined Aug 2013
86 Posts
Good news, DJI Phantom 3 camera wiring look easier than one for Vision+.

Gimbal ribbon carries just power to a Gimbal

Main PCB Gimbal connector
pin 1,2,3,4 = Ground
pin 7,8,9,10= +12V to gimbal

Main PCB OFDM connector:
pin 1,2 = GND
pin 3,4 = +5V to OFDM module
pin 5,6 = CAN bus to OFDM module
pin 7 = GND
pin 8,9 = CAN bus to optical flow/sonar module
pin 10 = +5V
Last edited by sea_owl; Aug 03, 2015 at 02:55 AM. Reason: pictures updated
Old Jul 20, 2015, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by smargus
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
Hello!
Thanks for sharing the information with us!
I'm really new to the drones and even more distant to technical things. so like I'm one of the lucky ones who was able to crash my less than 1 mo old Phantom 3 Pro so that the gimball + camera + flat cable is broken, and apparently also some "rocks" have come loose from motherboard as the local DJI rep showed me. Here's a photo of the poor drone, and another one closeup.
So a humble question to you sea_owl, do you happen to have a full wiring/electrical diagram of the motherboard?
Or could it even be repaired at all? I mean gimball w/ camera is sold as spare, but what might be other "surprises" if I get it to function again.
smargus is offline Find More Posts by smargus
Old Jul 21, 2015, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2013
86 Posts
Hi, smargus!
I don't have a complete circuit diagram so far. As me doing this diagram from time to time, when my guest is another crashed phantom3 from local pilots.

As for these components... It is a chip resistor and capacitor. Likely to replace them is not so difficult. Than another phantom 3 come into my hands, I can measure R and C and post data here. However, there may be other damages to the PCB, that is not visible. Replacing this chips seems first thing to have done, then just fly it to see all is ok. It can fly with no gimbal.

About gimbal ribbon cables. The ribbon from gimbal to Phantom3 body has no data lines, it just give +12V power to the gimbal. You can easily replace or repair it, there is no any magic behind it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by wieshka
Joined Jul 2015
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_owl View Post
DJI Phantom 3 contains many interesting technical solutions. No doubt, many pilots will be interesting in wiring diagram of camera, gimbal, and COFDM transmitter. I hope this will make possible to use a different camera (thermal) on the Phantom 3, or replace a broken camera to 3rd party one. Unfortunately, the DJI does not give us this information, so we have to open and look inside the bird.

This topic will be updated continuously.
Hi,

Today I crashed my P3A which resulted in detaching of gimbal + camera from P3A body. After visual inspection of detached gimbal/camera, it feels that it should be in working condition, but the problem is that the wiring is ripped - for both connectors (gimbal/camera), cables are disconnected, so, connections are still in ports, cables out.

Question: do these cables come in order into connector as they come out from body. I can still identify which side is which because of trace of soldering on cable endings.
wieshka is offline Find More Posts by wieshka
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by Drone Minds
Done Minds
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
1,004 Posts
I wondering how easy or difficult it would be to connect a HDMI cable live out from another camera to send the signal to the ground station, the same way the built in camera does via the light bridge?
Drone Minds is offline Find More Posts by Drone Minds
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2015, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by smargus
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
Thanks sea_owl for sharing the information.
And I'm looking forward to hear from you the R and C values.
Anyhow, I haven't dumped it yet
smargus is offline Find More Posts by smargus
Old Today, 02:15 AM
Joined Aug 2013
86 Posts
Feel the difference: chips in the red poligon are present in Pro (but not in Advanced) version of Phantom 3.