SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Well, that was Paul Naton's Radian and here is a stock Radian with a 2200 mah LiPo doing prop hangs with no gyro. Not mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGG-09fOdQ

Good Vid

Surely it would be very nose heavy with a 2200mAh Li-Po fitted
even the the guy says
"hi there, yes 2200mah is a good all round battery - i recommend it if learning to fly because it makes the plane slightly nose heavy... cheers

AussieJarred in reply to doffincodger 1 year ago"

I fly a Decalage moded Rad CG @80mm with a stock 1300mAh Li-Po ,
I once fitted a Turnigy 1500mAh Li-Po and had to add 10grams of weight to the tail , just to get the CG back to 80mm again

So theres no way a 2200mAh would be slighly nose heavy

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Good Vid

Surely it would be very nose heavy with a 2200mAh Li-Po fitted
even the the guy says
"hi there, yes 2200mah is a good all round battery - i recommend it if learning to fly because it makes the plane slightly nose heavy... cheers

AussieJarred in reply to doffincodger 1 year ago"

I fly a Decalage moded Rad CG @80mm with a stock 1300mAh Li-Po ,
I once fitted a Turnigy 1500mAh Li-Po and had to add 10grams of weight to the tail , just to get the CG back to 80mm again

So theres no way a 2200mAh would be slighly nose heavy

It's 12.30 am over here in Ireland now , too late / too many Guineses
to get my Great Planes CG balancer out , but I will in the morning I'm getting my stock Rad out and a few Li-Pos (1300mAh / 1500mAh and a 2200mAh )
just to see where the CG ends up..

Old May 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
I need to practice..... A LOT! That is awesome.
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old May 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I was there and also watched the vids and there is no way it was photo shopped.
If you look at our "his" other vids after he crashed you can see the carbon fiber rod he installed and according to Scott it has greatly improved his response and tail stiffness.
I said there might be some people who might think it was, but I was not one of them. Not one of them. Not one of them. I totally believe it is real, because I know how flexible the tail was on mine before putting in the carbon rod. The stiffness definitely adds to the rudder and elevator response.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Attachment 4848890pic of tail and fuse flex during a hand catch before I stiffened up fuse with carbon rod I caught plane at left wing root..
I might add that I was definitely going a bit too fast for a catch but did it anyway- the canopy kept going even though the plane stayed in my hand- and the camera was mounted on the wing saddle looking at the tail- the pic was obtained from a frame by frame analysis and i grabbed the frame with the most flex...

original video with slow motion -jump to about 5:30 for the catch

Best RC Radian movie, 5 cameras over Urbandale (6 min 16 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Scott is not prone to BS.... so although the effect may be slightly accentuated by the lens, the flex would be very real!!!
ty Colonel - I'm touched..
Old May 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Scott is not prone to BS.... so although the effect may be slightly accentuated by the lens, the flex would be very real!!!
Are you doing Radian research my good Colonel? I really think you would enjoy this bird- I swear it flies even better than our easystars- but i won't tell them that in the EZ thread- I like both planes- but on all but the most windy days- the radian will out fly- out glide- and out climb- the EZ while even being easier to control- and due to its larger wingspan- it is easier to see further out or up...

For some reason in heavy winds- (20mph plus) the Ez fights the gusts better- perhaps there is to much wing on the Radian (acts as Sails) or because the weight of the Ez is slightly more with less span- but the radian would be a great second plane for you- it was my fourth or fifth acquisition- and quickly made its way to the front of my hanger
Old May 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
my Radian with the stock motor and battery but with the prop changed out to an 11x8 has vertical performance like that. No way am I that good on the sticks though. I can go straight up to 200 meters (CAM limited cutoff) in just over 20 seconds which is faster than many of the unlimited ships I've flown against. Before changing the prop I could not maintain vertical flight and it would take 28-30 seconds to get to 200 meters
All I can say is the air must be better here in IA as with a 30 second flight up I would be well beyond 600' closer to my limit of comfort at around 1500'.

This weekend I need to time my flights to be sure just for fun along with video.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old May 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
I thought I remember somebody saying there was a must do mod to the radian. Was it the control horns?
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old May 11, 2012, 12:35 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Are you doing Radian research my good Colonel?.............I like both planes- but on all but the most windy days- the radian will out fly- out glide- and out climb- the EZ............in heavy winds- (20mph plus) the Ez fights the gusts better
I am...... but it was the relative windy performance situation that has made me order the EZII in preference to the Radian at the present time. Round these parts, it is the wind that stops me flying most (well that & the rain!). However, the plan is still to sneak a Radian into the hangar by going in under the Senior Management's radar........
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
I am...... but it was the relative windy performance situation that has made me order the EZII in preference to the Radian at the present time. Round these parts, it is the wind that stops me flying most (well that & the rain!). However, the plan is still to sneak a Radian into the hangar by going in under the Senior Management's radar........
Sometimes Management must be kept uninformed..

Good for you- I swear you will love the plane as much as your others if not more-did I say that?
Old May 11, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
I thought I remember somebody saying there was a must do mod to the radian. Was it the control horns?
the control rod connectors are the most important- the stock ones just plain suck and are prone to failure....
Old May 11, 2012, 08:37 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
It's 12.30 am over here in Ireland now , too late / too many Guineses
to get my Great Planes CG balancer out , but I will in the morning I'm getting my stock Rad out and a few Li-Pos (1300mAh / 1500mAh and a 2200mAh )
just to see where the CG ends up..
Today I got a few of my Li-Po's out to test the CG on my Rad . .

For starters my Turnigy 2200mAh would not fit , so I opted for a 2100mAh..

To start with I fitted the Stock Parkzone 1300 Li-Po and balanced out my Radian, which has been Gorilla glued back together far to many times.

My Rad has had the CarbonTow Mod on the Fuse and I've got CT on the LE of the Rudder , Gold-n-Rods fitted , aswell as having the Tail Magnet mod for the Elevator ..

Stock 1300 Li-Po CG @ 80mm

1500 Li-Po CG @ 77mm

2100 Li-Po CG @ 74mm-ish

Sean

Old May 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Dec 2006
75 Posts
Dang Kids anyway ....and I still think 3D should be reserved for Movies

I am new to the Radian Party and WOW it's my New Favorite (out of 3 other EP- SP's an 'bout 5 pure sailplanes). In MHO you can Forget all that stuff about Decalage and worry more 'bout Cleavage . Just more the CG aft to 3.25" - 3.5" and Go Fly !!

Get it Up an Keep it UP

"Narly"
R. Nordeck is online now Find More Posts by R. Nordeck
Old May 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
I was super impressed by that video of the kid hovering the Radian. For one thing, it must be even harder to do on a plane without ailerons. He said everything was stock except the battery but that motor sounded more like the Power 10 in my Corsair.

All that aside, what impressed me the most was how that skill could open up many more places to fly. There has been some talk about how to land in small spaces and different types of nets to try. If you could just cruise in and hover it and pluck it out of the air, you could take off and land in your back yard.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx