SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
Discussion
10 in the air on a budget

Hi guys, I posted it the educational section, but I really didn't get a lot of feedback. hope you don't mind posting here.
I teach middle school in SW pa in a very rural area. I started an RC club as a spin off of The Technology Student Association.
I am new to RC as well so I have a lot of questions. We have 2 neons and a dynam Ne-Ko 4 radio, 4 recievers and 4 2 amp esc's . I want the students to have a buddy box. Should I buy the trainer plug add ons for the neons and the chord, (60 bucks) or invest in adifferent radio. I thought about buying an airtronics buddy box only, and use that with either radio, but I'm not sure if they're compatible and I would still have to buy the plugs and chords for the neons.
The biggest thing is is that I want the kids to fly planes they have built and get hooked before they crash and get discouraged. Here are a couple of planes they have built so far. The F-15 is my first build. Will maiden as soon as the winds die down. Check them out and tell me what you think about getting 10 kids in the air on a budget.
teched88 is offline Find More Posts by teched88
Last edited by teched88; Mar 25, 2007 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:13 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
I will tell you one thing is for sure i wish a had a teacher in school who would teach me all about aerodynamics and taught me how to build model airplanes
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:38 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
I think that you can really learn a lot from RC and I'm really having a good time at it. I bought a slo-V for the students at first, but the weather was always against us. 3 Aero aces and Real Flight 3 passed the time. Then I bought a Super Cub. What a wonderful plane. Much more stable in the wind and a joy to fly.
We recently had our hand at build Fan Fold Combat wings. What a hoot!!! Standard ips motor, 2 H55's, and a 2 amp speed control and the kids are having fun! At first, I was able to scroung up 2 neons,and 4 recievers. I had one person donate a radio and we were off. What a great hobby. I just bought another Cub and can't wait for the Weather to break. Hopefully that won't happen to the Cub.
Anyway heres the artilcle. The author oversimplified some techie stuff, but all and all it's not bad.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tri...n/s_496860.html
Tell me what you think
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:55 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
tech, you have a PM
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
A friend of mine built a fixture for mass producing the wing. I thought about building it so that we can add a twin tail boom with a horizontal stab and a longer nose and make them a slow fly pusher CAT type plane. That way the students actually get a two for one deal. (build the wing first and fly, then add on to get a totally different flyer) I would like to add the GWS A Gearbox and a 9 x 4.7 slow fly prop as we move along.
We also have a half built frog and plans for an "STC" but one thing at a time.

If anyone knows where I can obtain educational grants for something like this I would appreciate it. Between me and a local hobby buddy, we've been funding everything to get it started. It did get off to a nice start so far. I think its good for the first year anyway.
Thanks
Last edited by teched88; Mar 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:18 PM
Somerset, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Jun 2004
545 Posts
Contrats! Nice job you are doing there! Sent you a PM.
rpage is offline Find More Posts by rpage
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Great job, and the Simple Wing is a great subject!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:08 AM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. If anyone has a suggestion on planes, power systems, radios or batteries, please let me know. I want (need) continuity. I tried letting the kids pick a plane, and nothing got done. We have a half finished frog, STC, Bipe, Etc.....We started mass production and we had 10 wings built in a night. Well almost built. Still need to get electronics for some, but its comming along.
I planned on turning them into slow fly pusher cats as we move along.

What do you think? Good idea? bad idea? Go buy a foamy kit?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 01:00 AM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
gee teach they way you guys are knocking out those wings you could sell them as a kit
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:50 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Check out the SuperDart thread for even more fun, when you go inside, and when their skills increase... both or either.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:14 AM
all foam... all the time
San Francisco
Joined Feb 2007
17 Posts
Let me know if your students have any interest in building with EPP. I think what you are doing is a great way for them to learn and I would be glad to make a contribution to your project.
epp540 is offline Find More Posts by epp540
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
virginia beach
Joined Jun 2005
284 Posts
also check out the blue albacorde thread. easy to build and fly,cheap motors.
ericthetree is offline Find More Posts by ericthetree
Old Mar 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
The SuperDart is cool. We actually have a student competing at Seven Springs Resort for TSA States April 19th in the Delta Dart free flight challenge.
Wouldn't they get a kick out of an RC Dart! What type of battery and prop did they use? That was a nice video.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
EPP Rocks. I just want to thank everyone for the offers of contributing to the school program. I am buzzing with excitement and can't tell you how much We appreciate it.
I just got back from church and was fielding a few pm's and thought what a perfect sunday this turned out to be. I gathered up the little ones ( 4 and 6 year olds) and my Super Cub and flew it with the other fellow who has helped with the club since the beginning and told him of the good prospects. We started kicking around ideas again.....
I should have gotten into this hobby along time ago. Although I must say that the local hobby shop did negatively effect my checking account!!!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:28 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
Gene, thanks for posting the plans for the simple wing, I see they're from Jerbear? Well thanks too all who contributed. It is definetly simple.
I have many plans that I'm interested in and out of those more simple ones the simple wing and the albacorde were printed and taped together. So that might be realized in the near future.
I just checked out EPP540's site. Very cool Looks like there are some real pro's out there.
Last edited by teched88; Mar 25, 2007 at 08:57 PM.