Both RWTs and SFGs 14 70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:02 AM
Grand Junction , Co
Joined Sep 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Dude, I got drunk in Grand Junction once!
I think i may have been drunk a time or two in Grand Junction
WestColoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WestColoFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:05 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Meh,you pay for both,put em both on woot!!
Yep. And they are easy to take on and take off, allowing for different characteristics as the mood guides.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:25 AM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
have done about 30 flight with sfg only and another 30 with nothing.

the sfg at the mxs have by far the bigger effect than at the extra or edge.
i like it both ways. removing the sfg, the mxs does a big step beeing an extra with sfg.
no plans to ever try the wingtips
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Your experience is valuable. Please help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
have done about 30 flight with sfg only and another 30 with nothing.

the sfg at the mxs have by far the bigger effect than at the extra or edge.
i like it both ways. removing the sfg, the mxs does a big step beeing an extra with sfg.
no plans to ever try the wingtips
Long leng, your experience with thirty flights with and without SFGs makes your observations and evaluations of MXS performance with racing wingtips and SFGs even more valuable.

Please reconsider and let us know what you like about flying the MXS with racing wingtips and SFGs. As LW wrote, it's quick and easy to install and remove the racing wingtips and SFGs.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. For my first trip to Switzerland, should I visit Zurich or Geneva? I've visited Spain, France, Germany, Italy, and the UK.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
I didn't like it with the tips.
More violent and maneuverable with out side force generators but its much smoother with them on. I like the ke and harrier characteristics with the sfgs on more.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Great to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I didn't like it with the tips.
More violent and maneuverable with out side force generators but its much smoother with them on. I like the ke and harrier characteristics with the sfgs on more.
Losi,

Great to hear from you! Where ya been? Please pm me with your evaluation of the
64" MXS. Of course, if you have an overwhelmingly favorable evaluation, post it here!

What do you think of the upcoming 60" Laser versus the 59" Slick?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Of course, if you have an overwhelmingly favorable evaluation, post it here!
This site would be worthless if users felt they had to keep ther unfavorable opinions about products hidden. This is for several reasons, but I'll list two: One, some of the issues may be easily resolvable, and people won't learn if they don't share. Second, if all we hear is positive about all offerings, nobody is going to believe it anyway.

Besides, there isn't much bad to say about the MXS. Only two items I can think of are (and they are almost in the domain of the trivial):

1. The wheel pants break too easily. We need LoneWolfRC-proof wheel pants.
2. CG. Add tail weight or buy solid rubber/aluminum tailwheel to address if necessary. I bought the tail wheel but I think I may have to take it off as I moved my ESC into the fuse.

Everything else, based on my sample of one, is about as perfect as it could be. Best assembling and best flying plane ever.

I should write up an independant review. Instead, I'll just endorse doc austin's:
The 64" MXS is a masterpiece in my book.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: hear not here
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
The truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
This site would be worthless if users felt they had to keep ther unfavorable opinions about products hidden. This is for several reasons, but I'll list two: One, some of the issues may be easily resolvable, and people won't learn if they don't share. Second, if all we here is positive about all offerings, nobody is going to believe it anyway.

Besides, there isn't much bad to say about the MXS. Only two items I can think of are (and they are almost in the domain of the trivial):

1. The wheel pants break too easily. We need LoneWolfRC-proof wheel pants.
2. CG. Add tail weight or buy solid rubber/aluminum tailwheel to address if necessary. I bought the tail wheel but I think I may have to take it off as I moved my ESC into the fuse.

Everything else, based on my sample of one, is about as perfect as it could be. Best assembling and best flying plane ever.

I should write up an independant review. Instead, I'll just endorse doc austin's:

The 64" MXS is a masterpiece in my book.
Good points!

Which tailwheel did you use? Please give the hyperlink for the tailwheel.

Have you found any better quality wheel pants? If so, where can we get them?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Good points!

Which tailwheel did you use? Please give the hyperlink for the tailwheel.

Have you found any better quality wheel pants? If so, where can we get them?
Thanks.

I bought the tailwheel at a LHS...it was something like this or this but I don't have the exact size handy. Chris from EF recommended this as an option for people having trouble achieving the CG they want.

As for the wheel pants, I added a layer of glass on the inside of the pants with finishing epoxy. You can see a photo in this post. I haven't used them yet, and it may be a bad solution if it is too tough...e.g., sometimes things having flex or breaking away protects other things they are connected to. But I'll let you know how the epoxy/glass thing worked. The problem is my landings, in all honesty. I do three point cross wind landings, or sometimes land on the runway but one of the wheels goes into the grass. I do not recommend my solution, because it hasn't been tested.

Dead recommends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
On your fourth set, just get a pair of 60" Edge wheel pants. Lightly sand them with 600 or 700 grit and then spray paint them black.

No more troubles and the black looks like it was meant to be!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Self discipline

Yes, I like the idea of redoing the Edge wheel pants.

I'll slap myself on the wrist for violating the purpose of this thread-Namely, the discussion by pilots experienced with the multiple wing configurations of the 64" MXS.

Cody started the excellent Extreme Flight 64" MXS EXP official build, fly, and video thread!

Hopefully, we can discuss all things 64" MXS on the Extreme Flight 64" MXS EXP official build, fly, and video thread and 64" MXS wing configurations here.

Guys, maybe we should take a poll on whether we need a specialty
64" MXS thread? Just joking!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:17 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,852 Posts
I do wish someone would just close one or the other of the 2 MXS threads. They are completely redundant and it makes it harder to keep up
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
I will close this thread when the poll is done.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 AM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Long leng, your experience with thirty flights with and without SFGs makes your observations and evaluations of MXS performance with racing wingtips and SFGs even more valuable.

Please reconsider and let us know what you like about flying the MXS with racing wingtips and SFGs. As LW wrote, it's quick and easy to install and remove the racing wingtips and SFGs.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. For my first trip to Switzerland, should I visit Zurich or Geneva? I've visited Spain, France, Germany, Italy, and the UK.
at the moment i am convinced that i wont like the tips as they will slow down the rolling rate. also i dont like the look of them. also not sure if i still have them or already thrown away.
i would like to add that the mxs with 16 prop and sfg is snapping almost as fast as with the 15 prop without sfg.
plenty of room for anybodys preference.
since owning other planes, i ll go like this:
15x7 prop
sfg
25mm servoarm all around
1 rate only: 45 degrees ail, 55 ele, as much as possible for rudder

as for zürich vs geneva
depends what you are into, geneva is a bit more relaxed (its more a french city).
overall my vote goes 100% to zürich. best city in the world!!! just make sure to bring cash enough as its the worlds most expensive city.
i dont know you, however, in case you do come you are welcome to be my guest for a couple of days. i live out in the green, but its only 20min to zürich city, 20 min to the skiresort, less than 20min to a big flying field. planes like 60mxs can be flow right outside the house.
come and check whether you do like them wingtips
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
When next I'm in Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
at the moment i am convinced that i wont like the tips as they will slow down the rolling rate. also i dont like the look of them. also not sure if i still have them or already thrown away.
i would like to add that the mxs with 16 prop and sfg is snapping almost as fast as with the 15 prop without sfg.
plenty of room for anybodys preference.
since owning other planes, i ll go like this:
15x7 prop
sfg
25mm servoarm all around
1 rate only: 45 degrees ail, 55 ele, as much as possible for rudder

as for zürich vs geneva
depends what you are into, geneva is a bit more relaxed (its more a french city).
overall my vote goes 100% to zürich. best city in the world!!! just make sure to bring cash enough as its the worlds most expensive city.
i dont know you, however, in case you do come you are welcome to be my guest for a couple of days. i live out in the green, but its only 20min to zürich city, 20 min to the skiresort, less than 20min to a big flying field. planes like 60mxs can be flow right outside the house.
come and check whether you do like them wingtips
PM sent.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
This poll will close on Feb 07, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Gentlemen:

This poll will close on Feb 07, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Excellent and insightful information has already been provided for this poll. Note that this poll is scheduled to close on 7 Feb 2013. So, please hurry and share your flight experiences and preferences while using the different wing configurations possible on the 64" MXS EXP.

Thank you for your participation and sharing your knowledge!