HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, OH, Grove City
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Question
Can anyone id this old nitro?

Hello everyone I received this from my grandfather a few years back. Motor was locked up and had old servos and the fuel line in the tank was hard as a rock.
I rebuild the fuel tank assembly and got the motor free and running. Threw some new servos in there and she flys great..

The motor is an os .25

Does anyone know what model this is?
Thanks!

I would really like to convert this pane to bolt on wings any ideas?
paw10lo is offline Find More Posts by paw10lo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:37 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
Looks like a ugly stick. On this plane. Bolt on wings. I would install two wood dowels in the front of the wing and build a female end in the plane. You want these about 2" apart. Or as to where they fit inside the planes fuse. And on the back of the wing. Drill two holes for your nylon screws that will fit in your built up wood with metal blind nuts
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,270 Posts
To convert to bolt on would need to split wing and make a new joiner with a tab to the front to lock into a new bulkhead at the front window. Then need to instal a mount at rear for blind nuts.
Dowls can also be used to slide into beefed up holes in the fuselage.

I can post some pics of one I did later.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:02 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,926 Posts
lol It's not an Ugly Stick, it's a Cosmo 25SR... I believe they kitted them back in the 70s and 80s. I have one above the garage that I scratch built 15 years ago and used to run an ASP 46 in. Very fun little plane to tool around in.

Here's a for sale thread on one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432004

The wing doesn't have enough structure to bolt the wings on so you'd have to cut it open and put some blocks in there... it's a very standard build up however, it wouldn't be that hard to put a balsa block in the back and front to support a dowel up front and bolts in the back.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
Looks like a ugly stick. On this plane. Bolt on wings. I would install two wood dowels in the front of the wing and build a female end in the plane. You want these about 2" apart. Or as to where they fit inside the planes fuse. And on the back of the wing. Drill two holes for your nylon screws that will fit in your built up wood with metal blind nuts
Wow really an ugly stick? The saddle seems shallow in the front for wood dowels? Could I build up the front with some bass wood Without compromising anything?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
lol It's not an Ugly Stick, it's a Cosmo 25SR... I believe they kitted them back in the 70s and 80s. I have one above the garage that I scratch built 15 years ago and used to run an ASP 46 in. Very fun little plane to tool around in.

Here's a for sale thread on one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432004

The wing doesn't have enough structure to bolt the wings on so you'd have to cut it open and put some blocks in there... it's a very standard build up however, it wouldn't be that hard to put a balsa block in the back and front to support a dowel up front and bolts in the back.

HA! Knew it had to be something different. It all makes since as to why it says cosmo on the wing. I figured it would need reinforcement in the wing
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:16 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,926 Posts
Yeah, my club had a competition and we built them as a group build project... had a bomb drop competition, high speed run and a couple other things to compete for. I put the biggest engine that complied with the rules and captured the speed title with an 87 mph (no dive) pass... one guy tried to make the plane as aerodynamic as possible and he was flabbergasted that all I did was put a big old engine up front and beat him by 10 MPH. It was a good time. I remember some people did build theirs to bolt the wings on and I don't remember if they used bolts in the front and a bolts in the back or if they used a dowel in the front and bolts in the back.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
534 Posts
I still have a COSMO SR 25 kit.

The COSMO KING SR 40 was a great flying ship, if any one has a kit for one untouched, contact me.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,212 Posts
I bet that is one great flying bird! LOVE the airfoil....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
I bet that is one great flying bird! LOVE the airfoil....

One of my favorites.

Thanks!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
wow - a kit plane that your grandfather gave you ! treasure it! Fly it! - I'm sure thats what he wants you to do!
ninefingerstwo is offline Find More Posts by ninefingerstwo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefingerstwo View Post
wow - a kit plane that your grandfather gave you ! treasure it! Fly it! - I'm sure thats what he wants you to do!
Absolutely! I also have a nice stick that I got from him this past christmas. Still working on it though
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Had trouble finding this post again.
Anywho here are some pics of one I converted last year.

This is a Avistar which had a rubber band mounted wing.

I ended up using nylong bolts that
Very nice work!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:01 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,270 Posts
Thanks, it flys beautifully now with big barn door ailerons.
Also with servo pockets now out on the wing I had a place to put weight for lateral balance.

It is worth it to do if you plan on keeping the plane.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback