HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Discussion
Flying my Combat Airmadillo RC plane

Here is a video I took of me flying my old Airplane Factory Combat Airmadillo .40 RC plane this last weekend. I'll try and post a video of the Twin Combat Airmadillo the next time I take it out to the flying field too.

So here we go.

Combat Airmadillo 40 RC model airplane flight m4v (9 min 34 sec)

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mexico, GTO, León
Joined Jul 2011
59 Posts
excellent model, congratulations, you will have the measurements of this or some link to make one myself?
BENJAS is offline Find More Posts by BENJAS
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
OK, my .40 Airmadillo has a 59 inch wingspan with a 11 inch chord. The fuselage is 48 inches long. The horizontal stab is 17 inches long by 7 inches wide. The vertical stab is 9 inches tall by 7 inches wide. The wing tends to sit back farther from the nose to get it to balance for the CG OK. The leading edge of my wing is positioned about 12 inches back from the tip of the fueselage. I would suggest not drilling the wing mount bolts until you have positioned the wing and checked the CG with everything installed first.

The aluminum tubing is 1/2 inch square tubing. Where the engine mounts and down inside where the wing bolts on it has some solid square hardwood inserted into the tubing. They originally used pop rivets to put the fuselage together with aluminum sheet metal pieces. Nothing exotic or fancy there. The lower front engine mount piece of tubing is separate and after mounting the engine to it and the top piece you drill the hole and put in a screw and nut to hold it in place between the two metal strips on both sides.

A fuel tank is cut off and used to hold the receiver and battery pack in the rear part. The throttle and aileron servos are up front and the elevator and rudder servos are in the rear.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add more information
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:03 PM
Mexico, GTO, León
Joined Jul 2011
59 Posts
very nice, thank you very much indeed very grateful
BENJAS is offline Find More Posts by BENJAS
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:51 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,052 Posts
man this takes me back! I loved my Airmadillo! I even flew it in an IMAC competition! (in Basic class where you can fly anything...) I don't even remember what ever happened to it, I think I had to replace the fuselage after so many crashes, but it took a lot of abuse and flew pretty well for a tank!
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old May 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Here are some pics and a video I made of my Combat Twin Airmadillo. I built this plane circa 1990 and it is still flying today. I upgraded from a 72mhz radio to a 2.4Ghz radio recently too. The twin is basically the same as the single engine version, except for the two fuselages you need of course. But all the sizes and dimensions are the same as on the single engine version.

Not exactly a great video, but it is all I have at this time though. But it has that great twin engine sound though.
My Combat Twin Airmadillo RC plane (8 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
Young Poor and Fun
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
101 Posts
They look very solid, I love the control horns!
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
113 Posts
I have one of these...broken in half. Someday I intend to make it fly again.
9Mach is offline Find More Posts by 9Mach
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:54 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Wow! Broken in half. That must have took some effort to get to happen.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter