SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Discussion
A Bermuda Triangle?? HELP!!

Ok so at our field, I was flying low and slow with my sport plane (maiden) and after about 4 minutes of flying around, I was thinking about landing and suddenly I hear another guy landing his plane (40 sized sport plane like mine) and it suddenly just nose dives into the ground breaking the wing off. Then about 5 seconds later another guy flew into the same space the 40 sport plane went down in and he lost everything too but managed to land it (it was a nitroplanes foam P-51 flying on Futaba FAAST, then after that, I'm the only one flying and in my mind i'm thinking "hope this doesn't happen to me", low and behold, my plane then enter an uncontrolled roll and it starts heading straight for the ground, then I regained control and got it back and brought it in hot since the motor quit while it went into fail safe. Many people have said they've had incidents in the zone I was flying in. I talked to an experienced fellow there thats been with my squadron for a long time and he said they use to bury appliances behind our tree line which isn't far away. He said there are a lot of appliances with MOTORS like refrigerators etc. So can this cause people who fly through a part of the field to loose control? I'm really nervous about flying there now and should I relocate where I fly?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,519 Posts
I know that metal buried underground can create a magnetic anomoly, but I don't believe that can affect our radios.

In the case of your model you say it went into fail-safe, so it must have lost signal momentarily. Are your two receiver antennae mounted at right-angles to each other, and is your transmitter antenna not pointing direct at the model? Are there any transmitters (cellphone, radar, microwave etc.) near your field, or any metal poles between you and your model when it's in the air?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Was there any agricultural machinery operating in the area? We had some issues where people would get unexplained interference, and eventually noted that it only happened when the farmer was working in the field behind the flying site. Turns out, the combine harvester uses a GPS system as part of its systems for getting straight rows and most efficient harvesting, and the uplink/download telemetry was causing the interference.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I know that metal buried underground can create a magnetic anomoly, but I don't believe that can affect our radios.

In the case of your model you say it went into fail-safe, so it must have lost signal momentarily. Are your two receiver antennae mounted at right-angles to each other, and is your transmitter antenna not pointing direct at the model? Are there any transmitters (cellphone, radar, microwave etc.) near your field, or any metal poles between you and your model when it's in the air?
Well I was using the Hobbyking Orange RX with the satellite on it but there is only a metal pole behind me when I'm flying, it's the wind sock pole. We do have telephone poles behind us though since our field is on the street. Do you think it's the orange rx? Many people have had problems with it but people said when the put the satellite on it, all the problems go away.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarlton View Post
Was there any agricultural machinery operating in the area? We had some issues where people would get unexplained interference, and eventually noted that it only happened when the farmer was working in the field behind the flying site. Turns out, the combine harvester uses a GPS system as part of its systems for getting straight rows and most efficient harvesting, and the uplink/download telemetry was causing the interference.
Yes there are some farms around but they aren't within 4 miles of the field. The field is surrounded by houses and is on the street where there are telephone poles but all the poles are behind us while we're flying. I was using an Orange RX so that may have caused the problem too but it happened to 3 planes. All 3 occurrences were all in 15 seconds. I did have a satellite on the receiver and did get 29 paces in the range check.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
When you say "low" how low and how far were you? 2.4Ghz seems to have limitations when flying really close to the ground (which is why they recommend putting the Sat as high as possible on the Plane).

Can you please describe how your Rx/Sat is mounted?
Is it the same configuration as the other flyers?

Did any of you check for holds on their Rxs? I would assume there would be based on what you described...

I am surprised the motor didn't come back once the signal was reestablished.

Did you do anything new on this flight? New Prop size for example?
Did you check the battery to make sure this wasn't just a good old LVC?

I fly in a noisy environment as well. Planes with DSM2 seems to be bound to go down in the field. DSMX does much better. For example, 150 flights with DSMX not a single issue. First flight with OrangeRx Plane went down (which may be related to DSM2 and/or the OrangeRx).
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
When you say "low" how low and how far were you? 2.4Ghz seems to have limitations when flying really close to the ground (which is why they recommend putting the Sat as high as possible on the Plane).

Can you please describe how your Rx/Sat is mounted?
Is it the same configuration as the other flyers?

Did any of you check for holds on their Rxs? I would assume there would be based on what you described...

I am surprised the motor didn't come back once the signal was reestablished.

Did you do anything new on this flight? New Prop size for example?
Did you check the battery to make sure this wasn't just a good old LVC?

I fly in a noisy environment as well. Planes with DSM2 seems to be bound to go down in the field. DSMX does much better. For example, 150 flights with DSMX not a single issue. First flight with OrangeRx Plane went down (which may be related to DSM2 and/or the OrangeRx).
When the incident happened I was about 40 feet in the air and I was almost right over the runway and the motor didn't come back because I was flying nitro and the throttle servo closed the carb all the way when signal was lost and shut down the engine. Here's a pic of how my satellite and receiver are mounted. I didn't get to see the other flyer's receiver locations but the first guy who nose dived into the runway said it was pilot error and the guy who brought down the electric one said it was his battery. It's all orange brand no spektrum satellite in my plane although I'm really thinking of getting the AR400 as a replacement but here are some pics that should paint a clearer picture. I brought the plane down safely so any advice on re positioning the satellite would be really helpful. Thanks for your help
Last edited by Rcflyyer1; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
When the incident happened I was about 40 feet in the air and I was almost right over the runway and the motor didn't come back because I was flying nitro and the throttle servo closed the carb all the way when signal was lost and shut down the engine. Here's a pic of how my satellite and receiver are mounted. I didn't get to see the other flyer's receiver locations but the first guy who nose dived into the runway said it was pilot error and the guy who brought down the electric one said it was his battery. It's all orange brand no spektrum satellite in my plane although I'm really thinking of getting the AR400 as a replacement but here are some pics that should paint a clearer picture. I brought the plane down safely so any advice on re positioning the satellite would be really helpful. Thanks for your help
I have decided to try to fly at another field and see if that fixes the problem but I don't know if I should fly at the other one. Plus, my local hobby store doesn't carry much stuff including the receiver that I need. I starting to have a feeling it's the field and this time I will fly higher so I can pull out of signal loss if I have one. I've seen a lot of threads of people replacing the orange rx and still having problems with the genuine spektrum receivers. Hopefully it was the buried appliances that caused the problem. So did I setup my satellite and receiver correctly?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Are there any houses or businesses close to that "zone" over there? There is the likely possibility they have a strong WiFi setup for customers, home use or surveillance purposes. Some of these wireless systems can output a lot more RF wattage than the RC systems we are allowed to use. I have read about flying fields having problems where someone has a high power wireless system setup in the backyard that can affect their RC systems if they fly too close to it.

Next there may be a corporate or government microwave link signal beam passing through that "zone" too. The tight beam signals are extremely strong and can affect anything nearby too. Airport radar systems is another source as the radar beams are quite powerful and can jam out most everything not designed to be shielded for it. Those airport wind shear systems can play havoc with RC systems in some cases too. They can have some of those wind shear systems miles away from the airport

Finally the 2.4ghz signals we use are line of sight, trees, bushes, buildings, etc can all effectively block the signal if you get behind them. Plus being too close to the ground with bushes and trees about can do it too, as the signal loses its strength fast when you are too close to the ground.

Yes I would try flying at a different location to see if that aleviates the problem or not.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Are there any houses or businesses close to that "zone" over there? There is the likely possibility they have a strong WiFi setup for customers, home use or surveillance purposes. Some of these wireless systems can output a lot more RF wattage than the RC systems we are allowed to use. I have read about flying fields having problems where someone has a high power wireless system setup in the backyard that can affect their RC systems if they fly too close to it.

Next there may be a corporate or government microwave link signal beam passing through that "zone" too. The tight beam signals are extremely strong and can affect anything nearby too. Airport radar systems is another source as the radar beams are quite powerful and can jam out most everything not designed to be shielded for it. Those airport wind shear systems can play havoc with RC systems in some cases too. They can have some of those wind shear systems miles away from the airport

Finally the 2.4ghz signals we use are line of sight, trees, bushes, buildings, etc can all effectively block the signal if you get behind them. Plus being too close to the ground with bushes and trees about can do it too, as the signal loses its strength fast when you are too close to the ground.

Yes I would try flying at a different location to see if that aleviates the problem or not.
Well I am having a problem with the rx battery plug. When it's plugged in, I move the plug without even disconnecting it, and I loose signal for a few seconds. Here's a video of my problem and the plane has a lot of vibration since it's glow. Yes there are houses there, surrounding the field, they also used to bury a ton of appliances behind the tree line. Here's the video:
Receiver battery connection problem? Orange RX? (1 min 7 sec)
The video may be still processing.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
I got an AR600 now but i'm still afraid of the battery wire problem (check video above)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,519 Posts
Whatever you use, you must sort out that battery connection problem. It might be one of the wires (usually the black) corroded at its connection to the battery, inside the casing, or it might be a loose pin on the plug, or even a problem where it plugs into the receiver. Can you try another battery to narrow down the problem?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,362 Posts
Does the connector fit tightly? I have been seeing a few that fit loose. When they do fit loose, it usually causes connection issues.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Whatever you use, you must sort out that battery connection problem. It might be one of the wires (usually the black) corroded at its connection to the battery, inside the casing, or it might be a loose pin on the plug, or even a problem where it plugs into the receiver. Can you try another battery to narrow down the problem?
I flew the airplane and didn't use the switch instead, I plugged the battery straight into an open port I had on my rx. The switch was the problem. Also, have you used orange rx's on glow models? How was your experience with them?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Ok that sure looks like a good suspect for the problem. I would get a new switch harness and not even mess with it.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter