HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
Discussion
how do you cut and glue sintra?

What is the best way to cut and glue the sintra pvc foam. I have ordered a small batch of 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm for making the houses on my 1/24 scale tugs and would like to do it the correct way the first time out.
Help would be good
Thanks in advance
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:05 PM
Ed Croughwell
New England
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR View Post
What is the best way to cut and glue the sintra pvc foam. I have ordered a small batch of 1mm, 2mm, and 3mm for making the houses on my 1/24 scale tugs and would like to do it the correct way the first time out.
Help would be good
Thanks in advance
jim

A good ole # 11 X Acto and CA of your choice. I like medium gap filling
modelerman is offline Find More Posts by modelerman
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
a good sharp knife.....and weld-on 16....iv'e tried super glue but it don't hold up in time....

joe (who loves sentra)
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
You can cut through... But also try score-and-snap.
CA is good, but don't count on simple edge to edge gluing... Reinforce corners with gussets.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Cutting like everyone here says, if you are going to "score and snap", make deeper cuts for thicker material before snapping.
This stuff is a bit soft ( as it is "expanded" PVC ) so if not cut well it will just fail in the location of the cut.
I have been using 5 minute Devcon ( after roughing the joint very well ) with high success.
When I am really concerned about strength I have been using testors model glue, it actually "attacks" the material then sets ( unlike other adhesives mentioned here ).
The assemblies in the pics are entirely of sintra and are staying together very well with the Devcon.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,083 Posts
Rough up the finish, and use thin CA, followed by Med. CA. And yes, the joints DO, hold up fine. I am running boats that have houses, and decks, made from PVC foamboard, that are 18+yrs old. I have never had a joint fail, and I only use gussets, where I really need the strength. I am the one that got Dumas, to go to it. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:54 AM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
Thanks for all the help..Indeed!!

One more question If I might...How do you make the round houses..just like plywood or do you need to heat it up some, and is this where you need the braces to keep it's shape?
Thanks again
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
I haven't used the stuff but I have some 2mm that I plan to plate a few decks and bulk heads,
Typically on the thinker stuff hot water is used..

In the mean time ,I'll let you know how it works with plywood and contact cement,I'll test some tomorrow.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR View Post
Thanks for all the help..Indeed!!

One more question If I might...How do you make the round houses..just like plywood or do you need to heat it up some, and is this where you need the braces to keep it's shape?
Thanks again
jim
More Coffee is very right, hot water.
This stuff does have a memory so bending beyond the desired radius and allowing it to come back should work well for you using two and three mil. material.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Cutting like everyone here says, if you are going to "score and snap", make deeper cuts for thicker material before snapping.
This stuff is a bit soft ( as it is "expanded" PVC ) so if not cut well it will just fail in the location of the cut.
I have been using 5 minute Devcon ( after roughing the joint very well ) with high success.
When I am really concerned about strength I have been using testors model glue, it actually "attacks" the material then sets ( unlike other adhesives mentioned here ).
The assemblies in the pics are entirely of sintra and are staying together very well with the Devcon.
Man you are a master with that stuff
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
232 Posts
A have a couple of small table saws one being the one that you can buy from Micro Mark and the other is about the same design but slightly larger. I use CA med for glueing and reinforce where needed.

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Score and snap 180 grit to fit and then med CA, agreed.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
666 Posts
Sintra loves medium CA. I have never had a bond problem. Not even in one of these...

D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:42 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,733 Posts
I am wondering since sintra is PVC have any of you tried using PVC solvent cement? I would think it would be like using Weld On 3 with Acrylic.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
I am wondering since sintra is PVC have any of you tried using PVC solvent cement? I would think it would be like using Weld On 3 with Acrylic.
I have, it's a no go. CA is the best product to use.
jjac is offline Find More Posts by jjac