HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
sinowace,
Quote:
Since it seems that ETree is finally listening, here is what I would like. Create an app to use the software from your phone. We should not have to take a computer to the field, use the tx controls which are not user friendly or wait to get home to adjust the plane. If I can bank from my phone it shouldn't be to difficult to access the software.
We're always listening. We track and discuss the feature requests posted here, and many will end up in our products - this feedback is really appreciated! Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?

Quote:
ET should apply for a federal grant and provide a decent 18 channel computer transmitter with each purchase
Ha! Well, we applied, but apparently we're not too big to fail.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
sinowace, We're always listening. We track and discuss the feature requests posted here, and many will end up in our products - this feedback is really appreciated! Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?
If it supports iOS devices, yes!
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:25 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?
iOS for sure!

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,141 Posts
[QUOTE=billpa;24362463]sinowace, We're always listening. We track and discuss the feature requests posted here, and many will end up in our products - this feedback is really appreciated! Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?

Yes, would definitely be interested...
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:22 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Mobile App: Interested

+1 for IOS

I was helping someone setup a Guardian a day or so ago and realized that he did not have a micro-B cable or even a laptop (desktop upstairs).

My iPhone was available, so an app would have been a huge help as I now have to grab my laptop and cable for a second trip. I just do not like the TX stick wiggle approach.

Michael
[QUOTE=DamonH;24363829]
Quote:
sinowace, We're always listening. We track and discuss the feature requests posted here, and many will end up in our products - this feedback is really appreciated! Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?

Yes, would definitely be interested...
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
+1 more for iOS. Although, I'd prefer a Bluetooth interface to either a 30-pin or Lightning adapter, seeing as how that major transition is going on right now. Plus, that way you could easily tap into the Android segment as well.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:54 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
+1 more for iOS. Although, I'd prefer a Bluetooth interface to either a 30-pin or Lightning adapter, seeing as how that major transition is going on right now. Plus, that way you could easily tap into the Android segment as well.
Could bluetooth then do away with the fragility of the USB receptacle?
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?
I would welcome a mobile app for Android, absolutely. This is the future that is already here.
(I'm currently using Andropilot to record live telemetry data from a flying plane (equipped with APM and 433MHz telemetry) to mobile phone's sd card, a genial system that works like a charm and makes me smile every time I use it . APM has autopilot but I still rely Guardian on top of everything to save the plane if things go out of control. )

I don't like carrying laptops (that are mostly designed for indoor use) in the field if the only purpose is to adjust some simple parameters, a job that would suit ideally to modern mobiles or tablets. For Guardian, h/w exists already (=USB port), the only thing needed is a mobile app. Shouldn't be too difficult to make, I guess, but would add definitely the product value even for the existing units.
FinnCat is online now Find More Posts by FinnCat
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:29 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Billpa,

As you probably have noticed already, a mobile app would certainly be a home run.

As to the switch(es) configuration issue, as long as no extra cables/connections are necessary, offering a number of options to cater to different classes of transmitters via the pc (and/or app) interface would also be a winner.
Butthead is offline Find More Posts by Butthead
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
I forgot another one, perhaps for further down the line: if at all possible, make a Guardian that works with serial bus servo connections (e.g. Futaba's S-Bus, JR's X-Bus). These serial installations are the way of the future (already here, of course) for larger planes.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Ok ET, the masses have spoken on the app issue. My IPhone 4S is ready. Even Siri wants it.
sinowace is offline Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
ET has to make a reasonably priced product for the broadest market. Mac operating systems would be nice but darn, the everyday, common system is a PC. I have both PCs and Mac products. To MAC and iphone users go buy a used Netbook for $75 and load the Guardian program. There is only so much room in a chip for operating functionality, Likewiase, the No. 16 HD keycam has requests to support different operating systems but the developer has to make a choice for firmware use and upgrades.

Regarding requiring a more sophisticated radio I say suck it up and buy one. I have Guardians running with a DX7 (one spare 3 position switch) and a DX6i where slaving switches still permits 3D-2D and off. Neither had a proportional slider or knob so I sucked it up and bought a DX8. That said, as one progresses with more and more complex planes and features you have to move up on your radio setup or forget the added features. I have FMS T28 with 4 channels plus flaps and retracts (6 channels AR6200). I also added a MRC sound system which really likes a spare channel to slave the throttle and sound system together to sync the sound. Unfortunately, I am out of channels. A plus, is Mr RC sound is making a new board that will only require a Y connection to the throttle.

Would I like to add a Guardian, yes, but there is no room in radio so I used a simple Eagle A3 3 axis gyro. My point is if every added accessory I wanted was installed I could easily use a 10-12 channel radio and receiver. But, it will have to wait.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
The ability to cater to different classes of transmitters is of interest mostly to ET, as they would sell more of their product.

Personally, I have a JR 11X and can certainly do the mixing trick that Aerocowboy has proposed, as long as ET does come up with the firmware upgrade allowing for all 3 modes to be selectable via the transmitter. Still, demanding that the consumer generates one or more mixes in order to make the best use of their product is not exactly elegant. If they want, ET can offer the option of a 2-switch arrangement (one for on/off and one for the 3 modes). The latter would do away with the need for a mix and be in line with the "keep it simple" principle. Again, having options does not hurt.
Last edited by Butthead; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:57 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:

Ha! Well, we applied, but apparently we're not too big to fail.
Please don't leave out Android app - any new product without mob app seems going back in time. There may also be a silent majority who may not speak out but watch closely.

My request wuld be to focus on Guardian alone market - this is a sunrise market which has a very huge potiential. I think this forum + a few other threads in RCG have already opened a few eyes ...

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
+1 more for an IPad.....
ddfrew is offline Find More Posts by ddfrew